Seventy Years in the Coal Mines by Philip Francis

carbonhagen

Post by carbonhagen » Sun. May. 22, 2011 10:24 am

Found this page while looking around the web. Pretty neat story. Enjoy!!
http://homepages.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~duncanrw/ ... years.html
My great‑grandfather, Philip FRANCIS, wrote a book entitled, "Seventy Years in the Coal Mines". It was an autobiography with interesting stories of his early life in Schuylkill County, PA, and his later life in Jellico, LaFollette, and Knoxville, TN. The book was published only for family members. There are many names mentioned in the book, and I'm sure that descendants of these individuals would be interested in these stories. I have posted excerpts relating to Schuylkill County, PA, on the PASCHUYL‑L rootsweb list. I would also like to post the TN/KY information, and the Cumberland River list seems to be the one most likely to reach the descendants of the names mentioned in the book. Philip FRANCIS was born on 7 June 1853 in Danville, Schuylkill County, PA. He worked in the coal mines beginning at age 8. He married my great‑grandmother, Annie MEYRICK, in 1875 in Mahanoy City, Schuylkill County, PA. He came to the east TN/KY area in 1883 to find work in the coal mines here. The excerpt below begins on page 96 of the book. If you are descended from or are aware of any of the families mentioned, I would love to hear from you.

Poconoeagle

Post by Poconoeagle » Sun. May. 22, 2011 11:29 am

Wow... very good story!! thanks for posting!! half way thru and I gotta run errands but will be back..... 8-)

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Sun. May. 22, 2011 3:06 pm

Outstanding post my friend :)

Smoker858
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93
Baseburners & Antiques: Reading Stove Works Penn circa 1900
Coal Size/Type: Nut
Other Heating: nat gas

Post by Smoker858 » Thu. Sep. 15, 2011 8:36 pm

Thank you for the historic insights