Even the Rodale Family Burned Coal

stoker-man
Verified Business Rep.
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: 1981 efm wcb-24 in use 365 days a year
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite/Chestnut
Other Heating: Hearthstone wood stove

Post by stoker-man » Wed. May. 12, 2010 7:46 pm

I was looking through the efm archives today and came across an article written by Bob Rodale. Tor those of you who aren't familiar with the Rodale family, they publish many environmental physical fitness magazines, such as Organic Gardening, which are sold around the world. They are based in this town.

He was killed in an automobile accident in Russia in 1990, so the article obviously predated that.

Surprisingly, he was a fan of anthracite coal even though he stated that it might contribute to global warming and the greenhouse effect.

Seems like I was reading a copy of today's paper, doesn't it?

ken

Post by ken » Thu. May. 13, 2010 1:50 am

"he stated that it might contribute to global warming and the greenhouse effect." friend of got my cash , gone from the world , al gore?

stoker-man
Verified Business Rep.
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: 1981 efm wcb-24 in use 365 days a year
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite/Chestnut
Other Heating: Hearthstone wood stove

Post by stoker-man » Thu. May. 13, 2010 8:02 am

Here are a few excerpts from the undated article in Rodale's New Shelter.

"I've got to stop heating with oil. That was a decision I made two and a half years ago. But what were the alternatives? Not solar, unfortunately. Our 25-year-old house offered little opportunity for solar retrofitting. Eventually I made up my mind to go with coal.

True, coal is not ecologically perfect. It isn't renewable, for one thing. And it's burning adds carbon dioxide to the atmosphere, contributing to a possible global "greenhouse effect." But it's better than oil, I thought. It's much cheaper, that's for sure."

"Our heating cost is now about half what it used to be. We keep the thermostat set where we want it, no longer feeling that our personal comfort in winter directly affects the U.S. balance of payments. Ardie feels that coal is actually a better fuel than oil. "It keeps the basement warmer," she says. "It gets rid of the dampness. It's warm, warm, warm."

"When summer comes and the fire is out, I feel as if a faithful pet has gone into hibernation. My oil burner never made me feel that way."

From the article, written in the mid 80s, I sense that he bought a recycled unit, true to his nature, because he opens "the little round observation door", and peek(s) at the glowing coals....

sootman

Post by sootman » Sun. Nov. 21, 2010 9:44 pm

stoker-man wrote:From the article, written in the mid 80s, I sense that he bought a recycled unit, true to his nature, because he opens "the little round observation door", and peek(s) at the glowing coals....
Everybody needs a mistress.

Glenn

Return to “Anthracite Coal History in Northeastern Pennsylvania”