Post by CoalHeat » Thu. Oct. 01, 2009 7:24 pm

CoalHeat
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1959 EFM 350
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Magnafire Mark I
Baseburners & Antiques: Sears Signal Oak 15 & Andes Kitchen Range
Coal Size/Type: Rice and Chestnut
Other Heating: Fisher Fireplace Insert

Post by CoalHeat » Sun. Oct. 11, 2009 8:44 pm

After World War II, it became clear that coal was losing favor to other energy sources such as oil and natural gas,
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lackawanna_Cut-Off

http://www.njtransit.com/tm/tm_servlet.srv?hdnPag ... oject019To
Lackawanna-Limited-Paulina-NJ.JPG
.JPG | 93.3KB | Lackawanna-Limited-Paulina-NJ.JPG
800px-Phoebe-Snow-ditty.JPG
.JPG | 107.3KB | 800px-Phoebe-Snow-ditty.JPG
On November 15, 1949, the Lackawanna launched a streamlined passenger train named after its mascot, the Phoebe Snow.
I remember a class trip as a child that took us on the Phoebe Snow

Poconoeagle

Post by Poconoeagle » Sun. Oct. 11, 2009 9:00 pm

The line west of the Cut-off was to have been dismantled by Conrail, but the presence of the Tobyhanna Army Depot and the Chrysler facility at Mount Pocono helped to keep that part of the line in service between Scranton and Mount Pocono. The Commonwealth of Pennsylvania then stepped in and prevented any track from being removed. (In a somewhat bizarre footnote, the use of a privately-owned World War II tank was threatened at the time.) In 1996, Conrail operated the first train between Scranton and Slateford. Since then, freight service has been growing in the Poconos, with operator Delaware-Lackawanna Railroad handling freight on the line.
Steamtown operates steam and/or diesel excursions from Scranton to destinations including Moscow, Tobyhanna and East Stroudsburg, with a rare June 28, 2008 trip to Delaware Water Gap Station: about 2 miles (3 km) north of Slateford Junction, PA

I go past the Pheobe snow road every day. there is an old car on a short legnth of track that some guy uses for a shed!! it is right near Devils Hole. I can't wait for the Jersey folks to open the last piece of the puzzle for the train to run service once again...

Return to “Anthracite Coal History in Northeastern Pennsylvania”