Trump- pro-abortion - 1 reason I never voted for him

davidmcbeth3
Coal Size/Type: nut/pea/anthra

Post by davidmcbeth3 » Sat. May. 27, 2023 12:29 pm

Sunny Boy wrote:
Sat. May. 27, 2023 8:38 am
I have read them. DC v Heller did not give unlimited access to military weapons.

" (2) Like most rights, the Second Amendment right is not unlimited. It is not a right to keep and carry any weapon whatsoever in any manner whatsoever and for whatever purpose: For example, concealed weapons prohibitions have been upheld under the Amendment or state analogues. The Court's opinion should not be taken to cast doubt on longstanding prohibitions on the possession of firearms by felons and the mentally ill, or laws forbidding the carrying of firearms in sensitive places such as schools and government buildings, or laws imposing conditions and qualifications on the commercial sale of arms. Miller's holding that the sorts of weapons protected are those "in common use at the time" finds support in the historical tradition of prohibiting the carrying of dangerous and unusual weapons. Pp. 54–56. "
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/District_of_Columbia_v._Heller

It's been 15 years since Heller. Show me where the Fed & State restrictions on owning full auto weapons ever went away. I loved my M-16A1, maybe I can get one at Walmart ? :D

Paul
This is the part of the Heller decision that was poorly written. Now states made laws saying that every place is a "sensitive" place, that all government buildings are "sensitive" places.

All these issues might be ironed out , maybe another 70 yrs , who knows.

I'm arguing to my legislature ... there is a law making it a crime to bring a gun into the legislative building; this is one place I think that the Bruen decision said was OK as a "sensitive place". Then the legislature began searching people for guns as a condition of entry into the building. But the 4th amendment does not allow such a fishing expedition (and guns=anything the police deem a weapon). This is an issue. Making a true "sensitive" place into a trap where they could claim a stapler is a weapon.

I recall a recent case about a ban in a government building where the court found that the government building does not equal all government buildings and deemed the particular gov't building not to be a "sensitive" place. I forget the case unfortunately.

The Miller court found that sawed off shotguns were not in the Army inventory when, in fact, they were. The Miller party never even provided a brief to the court (I forget why) only the government.

Show me a restriction on gun ownership of possessing auto guns or any other class of guns from 1791 era...I know of none...if you have such info. Remember, the law is unconstitutional until it is shown not to be.

If you want a M16, you can buy one if you like...figure they cost about $30,000 today.

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Sat. May. 27, 2023 12:38 pm

Hoytman wrote:
Sat. May. 27, 2023 11:35 am
I guess it did, Paul, but it’s turned mostly about firearms now and the thread title is misleading a bit in that regard. Unless of course the conversation reverts back mostly to the thread title.

Sometimes my opinion doesn’t even matter to me. In other words, the debate isn’t worth it to me. People gonna think whatever they want to anyway. I guess I need to quit clicking on certain topics.

Did you get to read what I posted?

Many times, a topic gets talked out and a bit of drift can bring out additional info that is enlightening.

The subject of abortion is pretty cut and dry after the recent SCOTUS decision turned it back over to the states, but there are a lot of changes happening with firearm legislation that I think will have implications in future elections.

To hear the media and anti-gun mob, you'd think gun bans are gaining. However, there is a lot of pushback working its way through the courts that they are trying to ignore. Add to that the steady increase in States passing constitutional carry (more than 50% of the states now) and on balance, gun rights are slowly gaining despite the constant attacks on the 2nd Amendment.

Paul

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Sat. May. 27, 2023 12:46 pm

davidmcbeth3 wrote:
Sat. May. 27, 2023 12:29 pm
This is the part of the Heller decision that was poorly written. Now states made laws saying that every place is a "sensitive" place, that all government buildings are "sensitive" places.

All these issues might be ironed out , maybe another 70 yrs , who knows.

I'm arguing to my legislature ... there is a law making it a crime to bring a gun into the legislative building; this is one place I think that the Bruen decision said was OK as a "sensitive place". Then the legislature began searching people for guns as a condition of entry into the building. But the 4th amendment does not allow such a fishing expedition (and guns=anything the police deem a weapon). This is an issue. Making a true "sensitive" place into a trap where they could claim a stapler is a weapon.

I recall a recent case about a ban in a government building where the court found that the government building does not equal all government buildings and deemed the particular gov't building not to be a "sensitive" place. I forget the case unfortunately.

The Miller court found that sawed off shotguns were not in the Army inventory when, in fact, they were. The Miller party never even provided a brief to the court (I forget why) only the government.

Show me a restriction on gun ownership of possessing auto guns or any other class of guns from 1791 era...I know of none...if you have such info. Remember, the law is unconstitutional until it is shown not to be.

If you want a M16, you can buy one if you like...figure they cost about $30,000 today.
You seem to have missed what I quoted from Heller. SCOTUS in Heller made it clear that there can be restrictions on some types of firearms. Read it again.

Try yelling fire in a crowded theater and see if SCOTUS said you're protected by the 1st A. :roll:

Paul

davidmcbeth3
Coal Size/Type: nut/pea/anthra

Post by davidmcbeth3 » Sat. May. 27, 2023 1:05 pm

Sunny Boy wrote:
Sat. May. 27, 2023 12:46 pm
You seem to have missed what I quoted from Heller. SCOTUS in Heller made it clear that there can be restrictions on some types of firearms. Read it again.

Try yelling fire in a crowded theater and see if SCOTUS said you're protected by the 1st A. :roll:

Paul
I've read the Heller decision many times...they could have written it better instead of leaving that section as it was. These issues will need to be decided in due course but I think that M16s are protected and we can own and that the manufacturers can make them again for consumers like they were doing for many years.

And the old "can't yell fire" is a myth you know, right ?

Return to “The Coffee House”