Why Our Generation Is So Smart

StokerDon
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Gentleman Janitor GJ-5, Van Wert VA-600, Axeman Anderson130 X3.
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Harman SF3500 reduced down to 3 grates connected to its own plenum
Coal Size/Type: Rice, Chestnut and whatever will fit through the door on the Harman
Other Heating: Noth'in but COAL! Well, Maybe a little tiny bit of wood

Post by StokerDon » Sat. Apr. 22, 2023 3:34 pm

A lot of us on this forum seem to have been born in the 1950's, 60's and 70's. If you are one of these people you know that this was a very different age than what followed. No computers, cell phones, cable TV or other constant distractions. We had books, school, radio, TV and a lot of time to concentrate on learning.

I thought about all this after I stumbled across this cartoon from 1965. This is a good representation of the cartoons I used to watch as a kid. One thing that I didn't really notice about these cartoons is the lessons that they try to teach. They sometimes actually describe scientific principles in a way that a child might understand.

Heres something to think about, Newton's third law of motion. From 1965, Tennessee Tuxedo in "Rocket Ruckus".

This was at the height of the Space Race and NASA launching things into space was a big deal to everyone.
Enjoy!
-Don

Richard S.
Mayor
Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert VA1200
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/Anthracite

Post by Richard S. » Sat. Apr. 22, 2023 4:30 pm

There is certainly no lack of good media today. The problem is the good stuff buried amongst the heap of trash. I have been watching a lot of this guy recently for instance. Conveniently I found this one:

I think the biggest issue with these recent generations is they have been too sheltered and lack real world experiences with common things. You can find the knowledge to do anything but you can't for example teach someone how much to tighten a nut through video. Snap a few bolts and you learn pretty quick how much is too much.

My cousin told me two great stories. He hands a pointy shovel to his nephew and tells him to dig a hole. He's stabbing the ground with it using his arms..... he had to show him how you step on it. Another relation he hands a push broom too and he's walking around the shop just pushing it, 20 year old with no idea how to use a broom.

We are doomed.

Retro_Origin
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1957 Axeman Anderson 130
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat / Pea

Post by Retro_Origin » Sat. Apr. 22, 2023 5:24 pm

I remember watching jeopardy or some similar show one time at someone's house and feeling really stupid. Then the asked a question to which the answer was "exhaust manifold" the question timed out without anyone having made an attempt. I didn't feel so stupid then. The difference is what's being preached to the upcoming generations about what is valuable and what is success....sadly it seems like those things tend to revolve around either fictional existence and entertainment (video games, social media, sports etc) or things which apply to only some of our more complex high level lifestyles(selling insurance, computer programming, realty, sports, psychology, some kinds of engineering etc). This isn't all bad until you start to ignore foundation principles, like simple auto mechanics, simple math, homemaking skills like sewing, gardening, personal wellness, cooking, hunting and butchering etc.. anyone who thinks people who knows those skills are less valuable just haven't accepted the fact that they are riding a big fat wave of prosperity created by those very people over centuries. My kids won't be getting a smart phone till they've got a nice relationship with a five gallon bucket, a shovel, Legos, fishing rod, wrenches etc.. and I think a lot of parents are starting to feel the same thanks to you guys generation speaking up about things.

davidmcbeth3
Coal Size/Type: nut/pea/anthra

Post by davidmcbeth3 » Sat. Apr. 22, 2023 5:26 pm

Pepe was a favorite....teaching all about amore

nut
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Glacier Bay
Coal Size/Type: nut
Other Heating: electric

Post by nut » Sat. Apr. 22, 2023 6:09 pm

Retro_Origin wrote:
Sat. Apr. 22, 2023 5:24 pm
I remember watching jeopardy or some similar show one time at someone's house and feeling really stupid. Then the asked a question to which the answer was "exhaust manifold" the question timed out without anyone having made an attempt. I didn't feel so stupid then. The difference is what's being preached to the upcoming generations about what is valuable and what is success....sadly it seems like those things tend to revolve around either fictional existence and entertainment (video games, social media, sports etc) or things which apply to only some of our more complex high level lifestyles(selling insurance, computer programming, realty, sports, psychology, some kinds of engineering etc). This isn't all bad until you start to ignore foundation principles, like simple auto mechanics, simple math, homemaking skills like sewing, gardening, personal wellness, cooking, hunting and butchering etc.. anyone who thinks people who knows those skills are less valuable just haven't accepted the fact that they are riding a big fat wave of prosperity created by those very people over centuries. My kids won't be getting a smart phone till they've got a nice relationship with a five gallon bucket, a shovel, Legos, fishing rod, wrenches etc.. and I think a lot of parents are starting to feel the same thanks to you guys generation speaking up about things.
Don't forget Erector Set.

waytomany?s
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harmon Mark II
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Looking
Baseburners & Antiques: Looking
Coal Size/Type: Nut
Other Heating: newmac wood/coal combo furnace

Post by waytomany?s » Sat. Apr. 22, 2023 7:05 pm

I think part of the problem is that we don't let Darwinism run its course.

warminmn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Junior, Efel Nestor Martin, Riteway 37
Coal Size/Type: nut and stove anthracite, lignite
Other Heating: Wood and wear a wool shirt

Post by warminmn » Sat. Apr. 22, 2023 9:19 pm

You all realize most of our Grandparents said the same thing, that our generation was lazy and didnt know much. :D

nut
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Glacier Bay
Coal Size/Type: nut
Other Heating: electric

Post by nut » Sat. Apr. 22, 2023 9:37 pm

warminmn wrote:
Sat. Apr. 22, 2023 9:19 pm
You all realize most of our Grandparents said the same thing, that our generation was lazy and didnt know much. :D
Yup

davidmcbeth3

Post by davidmcbeth3 » Sun. Apr. 23, 2023 3:37 am

warminmn wrote:
Grandfather hit cows with a sledge at the Stockyards ... those jobs are gone. Thanks Joe Biden

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Sun. Apr. 23, 2023 10:57 am

This video is great and ties in with the topic.

Paul

k-2
Stoker Coal Boiler: K2- Keystoker
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska Stoker Stove
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by k-2 » Sun. Apr. 23, 2023 11:01 am

warminmn wrote:
They were right. Life has become incredibly easier for each generation.We turn a dial on the wall for heat rather than
chop saw and stack firewood an feed a stove all day.We swing by the grocery store rather than garden and can food and go hunting. Everything was hard and labor intensive. Also had to take care of horses if we didnt want walk everywhere .And whats worse ,today if you dont feel like getting out of bed and working Govt will pay for it all for you.

k-2

Post by k-2 » Sun. Apr. 23, 2023 11:03 am

waytomany?s wrote:
Sat. Apr. 22, 2023 7:05 pm
I think part of the problem is that we don't let Darwinism run its course.
:yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :clap:

davidmcbeth3

Post by davidmcbeth3 » Mon. Apr. 24, 2023 1:11 am

k-2 wrote:
Sun. Apr. 23, 2023 11:01 am
They were right. Life has become incredibly easier for each generation.We turn a dial on the wall for heat rather than
chop saw and stack firewood an feed a stove all day.We swing by the grocery store rather than garden and can food and go hunting. Everything was hard and labor intensive. Also had to take care of horses if we didnt want walk everywhere .And whats worse ,today if you dont feel like getting out of bed and working Govt will pay for it all for you.
172.jpg
.JPG | 41.3KB | 172.jpg
The next generation is getting soft already !

Random American
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Not yet, considering a cook stove.

Post by Random American » Tue. Apr. 25, 2023 1:36 pm

You lot are so smart that you deny climate change despite the solid science behind it and fall for conmen like Donald Trump.

My generation has many many faults too, but you aren't my superiors.
warminmn wrote:
As Orwell put it:

"Every generation imagines itself to be more intelligent than the one that went before it, and wiser than the one that comes after it." - George Orwell

k-2

Post by k-2 » Tue. Apr. 25, 2023 3:28 pm

"Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times." ― G. Michael Hopf,

And around and around we go.

Return to “The Coffee House”