Mining storys from Jack

Den034071
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer, 3095

Post by Den034071 » Fri. Mar. 17, 2023 8:45 pm

L C N mining company had a slope called no 12 back in the 1940s .This slope mine was about a half mile north of the lehigh breaker .The hoist house was next to a private road for hauling coal from number 6 mine .The company allowed private residents to use the road .With this Caution .A cable ran from the hoist house Down To the no.12 mine .OIf the cable was Slack you could cross the road .If the cable was slack
one had to wait for the car of loaded coal to come out of the mine .On thisday a drummer with a loaded wagon approached the site .The cable was slack .He started to cross the road When suddenly the cable went taught .slowly the middle yoke and 2 horses were starting to leave the ground .A laborer saw this and Waved to the hoist engineer .Note the hoist man watches a 6 foot Clock in the hoist house .The poor guy ran up the steps to the hoist house shouting of the poor horses .Quickly the hoist saw the dilema and Slowly LoweredThe wagon and horses .Airborne the barrels rolled off the drummers wagon .No one was hurt butthe load was dumped on the ground .Shortly the hoist engineer started to bring miners to tthe surface as it was 3 oclock quitting time .As the first 10 miners got off the passenger trip car one miner said Whats That Smell .The drummers load was 5 barrels of Old Dutch Beer .The small barrels was P M whiskey known up home in our coal region As Polish Mary Fine Whiskey .All The Miners Could have cried .All The Booze spilled on The Ground . .i

theo

Post by theo » Sat. Mar. 18, 2023 12:48 am

Good story Jack!! :yes:

Hambden Bob
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Harman 1998 Magnum Stoker
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Blower Model Coal Chubby 1982-Serial#0097
Coal Size/Type: Rice-A-Roni ! / Nut
Other Heating: Pro-Pain Forced Air

Post by Hambden Bob » Sat. Mar. 18, 2023 6:51 am

Jack,You Can't Make Up A Tragedy As Deep As Da' Mine Itself..!! One Disaster Averted,Yet Another One Created When Da' Booze & Beer "Hit The Deck".. Wouldn't Be Surprised If The Miner's Didn't Mark The Spot With A Small Memorial... Keep Em' Coming,Jack..!! We Need Ya',,,

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Sat. Mar. 18, 2023 9:05 am

Thanx Jack---YEP, you da story man!!!! :)

StokerDon
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Gentleman Janitor GJ-5, Van Wert VA-600, Axeman Anderson130 X3.
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Harman SF3500 reduced down to 3 grates connected to its own plenum
Coal Size/Type: Rice, Chestnut and whatever will fit through the door on the Harman
Other Heating: Noth'in but COAL! Well, Maybe a little tiny bit of wood

Post by StokerDon » Sat. Mar. 18, 2023 7:16 pm

Den034071 wrote:
Fri. Mar. 17, 2023 8:45 pm
All The Miners Could have cried .All The Booze spilled on The Ground . .i
I would have cried too!!!

Thanks for the story Jack!

Cheers, It's Beer Time!

-Don

Hoytman
Location: swOH near a little town where the homes are mobile and the cars aren’t
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 354
Coal Size/Type: nut coal
Other Heating: electric, wood, oil

Post by Hoytman » Sun. Mar. 19, 2023 4:43 pm

Thanks for sharing, Jack. Always enjoy your stories.

Return to “The Coffee House”