Evening pot of Joe 21Feb2023

ColdHouse

Post by ColdHouse » Wed. Feb. 22, 2023 12:12 pm

I remember hearing that planting/overseeding grass in winter/spring was good and easiest because the freeze thaw cycles create crevices for the seed to land and it comes up easily when it warms up.

Hoytman
Location: swOH near a little town where the homes are mobile and the cars aren’t
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 354
Coal Size/Type: nut coal
Other Heating: electric, wood, oil

Post by Hoytman » Wed. Feb. 22, 2023 12:20 pm

Birds haven’t touched it. It’s Penncoated perennial rye seed from Pennington Seeds and has a green coating on it that helps it to germinate fast. This particular bag was about 7 years old so germination rate will be slightly lower than a fresh bag. Beats throwing it away. I’ve had good luck with their seed, even old seed germinating.

Here is SW Ohio snow tires were a big thing during the 70’s and before. Not so much since then…and least in my local are which is a weather transition zone. The weather here can go either way this time of year and unlike in northern Ohio there’s more chance of losing a season of fruit harvest due to late frosts, or it can be unseasonably warm.

davidmcbeth3
Coal Size/Type: nut/pea/anthra

Post by davidmcbeth3 » Wed. Feb. 22, 2023 4:54 pm

Sunny Boy wrote:
Wed. Feb. 22, 2023 9:38 am
I read in gardening books to do that to get an early jump on spring growth. Tossed grass seed out on the snow and the birds ate it all. :oops:

Paul
I think seed needs 55F to germinate. Put down with <55F the seeds dry up and won't do well.

One should seed and then get 2 weeks of rain ..I find that the window for seeding in the spring is a 15 min window. Seed fast.

I double or triple seed...3x the recommended with my drop spreader that aerates at same time...poking holes for the seed to fall into. Then fertilize.

I grow moss great

Idlorah
Stoker Coal Boiler: Allen 700 stoker
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Gibralter MCC
Coal Size/Type: Buck in the Allen and anything goes in the MCC, Anthracite
Other Heating: None, maybe some wood in the MCC in the shoulder season

Post by Idlorah » Wed. Feb. 22, 2023 6:18 pm

My 25 or so hens never stopped laying, The duck on the other hand quit once the weather got cold. Normally my egg production gets cut in half during the winter. I get about 15 eggs a day now during summer I get 2 dozen plus a day. The duck kind of just lay when they want to. I also have 2 pregnant goats that are due to pop any day now. It would of been nice for them to kid during the warm spell we just had but I know well enough they will kid during the coldest day or biggest snow storm haha. But I am still patiently waiting for them the one is super bagged up and been starting to dilate over the last week. On that note who want some baby goats in the next couple months? I didn't even want goats ended up with 2 males from the neighbor because he was tired of them getting out. One passed last winter then late this summer I also got to inherit 2 females from my cousin and they were both pregnant in the first week of course.

SMITTY
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520 Highboy
Coal Size/Type: Rice / Blaschak anthracite
Other Heating: Oil fired Burnham boiler

Post by SMITTY » Wed. Feb. 22, 2023 7:08 pm

Rob R. wrote:
Wed. Feb. 22, 2023 7:50 am
You are asking for it if you took the snows off in February. We typically run snow tires from mid November to mid April.
Last couple years I had them off for good the 1st week of March, so I figured I might be able to stretch it this year, since it was almost 60° a couple days ago. Mainly, I didn't want to burn up a set of $900 snows commuting in 60° weather.

With the lift, it takes a half hour to swap them, if that. I spend more time looking for the damned screwdriver to pop the center caps off, lol. Each time I set it down, I lose it. ;)

carlherrnstein
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: combustioneer model 77B
Coal Size/Type: pea stoker/Ohio bituminous

Post by carlherrnstein » Wed. Feb. 22, 2023 7:46 pm

Hoytman wrote:
Tue. Feb. 21, 2023 10:24 pm
TSC Purina feed at TSC was costing us $25 for 40lbs and lasted 1.5 weeks. 12-18 eggs per week.

Was thinking these new birds from a new baby chick supplier weren’t producing as good as from the last supplier which was a different supplier. We were blaming it on “their” breeding.

TSC Dumore feed $19 for 40lbs and lasted 1.5 weeks. Zero eggs per week (0 for about 2 months).

Kept thinking these birds are beautiful and healthy looking but not producing.

Couldn’t figure it out for at least 3 months prior to seeing video…

Switched the feed…

Been on this new feed for two weeks now.

This co-op Kalmbach feed costs $21 for 50lbs and lasts 2.5 weeks. 42+ eggs per week and climbing. Got 10 eggs yesterday from 12 birds.
I have been feeding our chickens rural king brand layer feed, we have not had the eggs stop. I found a possible explanation if you want to waste 20 minutes

I'm not sure what to make of it but it's weird.

Hoytman
Location: swOH near a little town where the homes are mobile and the cars aren’t

Post by Hoytman » Wed. Feb. 22, 2023 8:19 pm

We discovered the drop in egg production before watching YouTube…and that was the 2nd video we seen about it that confirmed our prior assumption. So the info in the video is legitimate.

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Thu. Feb. 23, 2023 7:26 am

We ended up well short of the predictions for snow accumulation, but jeez that North wind is frigid.

Hoytman

Post by Hoytman » Thu. Feb. 23, 2023 9:35 am

We had 70 yesterday evening…80 in the house all the windows open, the front door wide open, 2 fans pulling cooler air into the house. It was horrible, but the stove chugged right through it without issue.

56 and sunny at the moment headed to 71 so then dropping 27F. Wow! What a drop.

Return to “The Coffee House”