Freddy’s Coffee House: 19Feb2023 Breakfast

Hoytman
Location: swOH near a little town where the homes are mobile and the cars aren’t
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 354
Coal Size/Type: nut coal
Other Heating: electric, wood, oil

Post by Hoytman » Sun. Feb. 19, 2023 2:35 am

Alright gang. I’m kicking the door in on this one early early this morning so Hamden Bob can sleep in. Ha!

(Shhh…he doesn’t know it but I’ve recently been in his neck of the woods. Had to run and hustle over to Hasselbach’s for some bulk sausage and lard for the biscuits this morning.)

So yeah…we’re having the usual Sunday morning southern breakfast. Here’s what’s on the menu:

- Fresh ground Columbian coffee will be offered in a bottomless mug and filtered via one of Freetown Fred’s freshly laundered socks. It cuts down on the coffee’s bitterness, or adds to it if a dirty one slips through the cracks. :lol: :yes:

-Cold milk from the Jersey cow.
-Fresh Moore’s apple cider.

- Bulldog gravy, browned of course, made with real bacon grease and fresh farm milk. I’ll even fry a bit o’ sausage to crumble up in it for you sausage gravy eaters.

-Sausage, of course…Hasselbach’s bulk and ring sausage…charred on the bbq grill this morning.

-The wife’s making fresh buttermilk biscuits. Amish butter and apple butter are on the table.

-Farm fresh eggs with yokes the color of burnt orange. White, blue, green, brown…if that’s your fancy. Just don’t ask me to tell you which is which once they’re fried up. Levi will fix ‘em to your liking or you’ll do without. :lol: Don’t worry! The kid is a better cook than Bob Evans. True!

-Yellow corn grits made Levi’s way with chicken broth, cream cheese, cheddar cheese. They’ll be some maple syrup available as well.

-Got a little pork shoulder to fry up along with some fresh fried apples as well.

That’s about it for the menu this morning.

Wrong time of year for it, but some peeled and sliced maters would go great with that Bulldog gravy. Heck, if I had the maters and gravy then I could forget about the biscuits. You don’t know what you’re missing until you’ve had fresh garden maters smothered in Bulldog gravy.

Don’t expect the Hitzer 354 to be too awake by the time y’all arrive. With the oven on baking biscuits her thermostat keeps her a tad on the dark side, but she’ll perk up after the crew starts arriving opening the door. Still, don’t expect a show from her. She barely gets her dander up even in mid-January.

Like I said. I’m getting an early start, but I’m going to make me a pot of that brew and take my time since I’m having trouble sleeping myself. By the time the rest of yuns wake up I’ll already have things nearly done and ready for the crew when y’all start arriving. It’ll be ready by about 5:30am, so arrive early if you can and stay as long as you like.

Now…Y’all Come and get it ‘er I’ma throw it out!!!
Last edited by Hoytman on Sun. Feb. 19, 2023 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Hambden Bob
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Harman 1998 Magnum Stoker
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Blower Model Coal Chubby 1982-Serial#0097
Coal Size/Type: Rice-A-Roni ! / Nut
Other Heating: Pro-Pain Forced Air

Post by Hambden Bob » Sun. Feb. 19, 2023 6:06 am

Hoyt,You've Done It Again..!! This entire spread truly offers a touch of "The Down Home"..!! Thanx for "Spankin' & Crankin' It Out" this Fine Bloodshot Eyes morning..!! Heck,I thought about Hasselbach's as We back & forthed from Da' Kozy Corner Restaurant..!! Great Food,Greater Folks slingin' & bringin' it..!! Now,time for a "Hot Date With A Highway"..

D-frost
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman MK ll
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Yukon Eagle I (multi-fuel oil, wood/coal)
Baseburners & Antiques: Herald 'fireside oak'
Coal Size/Type: nut/stove-Blaschak/Lehigh

Post by D-frost » Sun. Feb. 19, 2023 6:47 am

Mornin'
Yeah....a "two-fer''!!!!!!!!!! Saturday/Sunday coffee...........Nice breakfast Hoyt, something for everyone. I think I'll have one or two of those home made bisquits.....yummy! and another coffee, thank you. Have a good day.
Cheers

lincolnmania
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 350
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: reading allegheny stoker
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: alaska kodiak stoker 1986. 1987 triburner, 1987 crane diamond
Coal Size/Type: rice

Post by lincolnmania » Sun. Feb. 19, 2023 7:31 am

I wrapped green tomatoes from our garden in brown paper and stored them in a cool place and we had fresh tomatoes for Christmas.
We have homemade apple butter. Made from Stayman Winesap apples grown in Amity Township Berks County.

waytomany?s
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harmon Mark II
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Looking
Baseburners & Antiques: Looking
Coal Size/Type: Nut
Other Heating: newmac wood/coal combo furnace

Post by waytomany?s » Sun. Feb. 19, 2023 7:57 am

lincolnmania wrote:
Sun. Feb. 19, 2023 7:31 am
I wrapped green tomatoes from our garden in brown paper and stored them in a cool place and we had fresh tomatoes for Christmas.
We have homemade apple butter. Made from Stayman Winesap apples grown in Amity Township Berks County.
Does it have to be brown paper? How cool of a place? Pass the coffee, I didn't sleep well. Again. Thanks Bill, I'll need that bottomless cup.

warminmn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Junior, Efel Nestor Martin, Riteway 37
Coal Size/Type: nut and stove anthracite, lignite
Other Heating: Wood and wear a wool shirt

Post by warminmn » Sun. Feb. 19, 2023 8:20 am

I'll take a little bit of each! I need to fatten up a little before the snow this week....

Hoytman
Location: swOH near a little town where the homes are mobile and the cars aren’t

Post by Hoytman » Sun. Feb. 19, 2023 11:13 am

waytomany?s wrote:
Sun. Feb. 19, 2023 7:57 am
Does it have to be brown paper? How cool of a place? Pass the coffee, I didn't sleep well. Again. Thanks Bill, I'll need that bottomless cup.
Nope. Can be news paper. Just to separate them from touching. Green tomatoes picked from the garden just before first frost. Line a box with the paper as well and don’t stack the maters. Cool spot is just that…cooler the better, constant temperature but not freezing. Obviously, the warmer the spot is the faster they’ll ripen. So I’d say from 55F down to 34F. They’ll be fine and ready to eat by Christmas. Helps for it to be a more firm type tomato. Something like Celebrity tomatoes, Big Boys, Rutgers, Big Beef, Beefsteak types, Brandywine’s, Crimson gene types, Plum types, all thicker skinned types like above. Some with thicker skins than others. The thinner the skin the less time they will keep and vice-versa.

Burpee Long Keeper types are best for winter keeping…but don’t have the best flavor as the others above and can be hard as a rock when ripened. If you want to save a lot of them be sure and plant these types late in the year because most typically bare their fruit all at once (determinate…mos hybrids) unlike so-called heirloom types which bare until frost (indeterminate), but usually have thinner skins…even though these types are best for flavor. Something like Climbing-triple-crop which is outstanding any time of year, are indeterminate with thicker skins bare all season long and can keep well picked green in fall wrapped in newspaper.

Dwarf type tomatoes will keep well also.

Be sure and check tomatoes regularly for firmness and take a peak at each one while you’re at it. You don’t want any over-ripening because the gases released from an over ripened tomato will cause them all to ripen at once…thus the wrapping paper and not touching.

(I only have nearly 100 varieties of seed here at home.)

Hoytman

Post by Hoytman » Sun. Feb. 19, 2023 11:58 am

Y’all better get in here and eat. There’s plenty fixn’s left. Just throw the sheet back on the table and grab what you like. The last pan of gravy was just made and the wife just threw in the last batch of biscuits. Two big baking stones full of biscuits. They’ll be plenty for you late comers. We know it takes awhile for some you to arrive since you’re so far away. Levi will fry more eggs as y’all arrive.

I’m not a smoker, but one of you want to light up a nice smelling pipe with some sweet pipe tobacco, just help yourself. We’ll go out to the man room where there’s plenty of room to sit and relax and chew the fat. There’s a coffee pot out there too.

I think later on before evening I’m going to sharpen the chain where I used the pole saw yesterday and pick up the limbs in the yard and cover some grass seed I spread on the yard with some straw. Just a driveway sized spot next to the driveway so it won’t take long to cover it with straw.

Nice and sunny here this morning. A cool 52F. Creek out back is running strong this morning with a lot of water coming through ver the waterfall. The squirrels are crossing over on deadfall’s coming to eat out of Becky’s bird feeders. Seen some turkeys up on the hill just shortly after daylight. Deer must be in hiding though. Haven’t seen one in weeks.

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Sun. Feb. 19, 2023 12:05 pm

Thanx Mrs Bill---delicious!!! :)

Hoytman

Post by Hoytman » Sun. Feb. 19, 2023 1:10 pm

freetown fred wrote:
Sun. Feb. 19, 2023 12:05 pm
Thanx Mrs Bill---delicious!!! :)
I’ll tell her…
:yes:

Return to “The Coffee House”