Tar and Feather me,,,,,,

theo

Post by theo » Tue. Feb. 14, 2023 7:17 pm

I probably will get tar'ed and feather'ed for asking this, Has any member tried burning wood pellets with coal in your stoker stove? I see a ton of wood pellets are still around 329.00 a ton compared to 500.00 per ton for coal, Thought maybe it would stretch out my coal supply. And by the way, why are wood pellets still about the same price as they were last year and coal went through the roof? :baby:

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Tue. Feb. 14, 2023 7:20 pm

Good question T????????????????????????????????

Retro_Origin
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1957 Axeman Anderson 130
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat / Pea

Post by Retro_Origin » Tue. Feb. 14, 2023 8:31 pm

Pretty sure you only get about two thirds the btu out of pellets so it seems like the cost difference would be near negligible? I would think air requirements would vary to where mixing fuels could mean one wouldn't get burnt as designed. But I could be totally off on all that

waytomany?s
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harmon Mark II
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Looking
Baseburners & Antiques: Looking
Coal Size/Type: Nut
Other Heating: newmac wood/coal combo furnace

Post by waytomany?s » Tue. Feb. 14, 2023 8:53 pm

theo wrote:
Tue. Feb. 14, 2023 7:17 pm
I probably will get tar'ed and feather'ed for asking this, Has any member tried burning wood pellets with coal in your stoker stove? I see a ton of wood pellets are still around 329.00 a ton compared to 500.00 per ton for coal, Thought maybe it would stretch out my coal supply. And by the way, why are wood pellets still about the same price as they were last year and coal went through the roof? :baby:
Hold on, going to get the feathers.

waytomany?s
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harmon Mark II
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Looking
Baseburners & Antiques: Looking
Other Heating: newmac wood/coal combo furnace

Post by waytomany?s » Tue. Feb. 14, 2023 8:54 pm

I say buy a bag and let us know what happens. I mean, what's worst case scenario? Hmmm, hopper fire? Ok, maybe don't try it.

coalder
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: harman sf 160
Other Heating: wood parlor stove

Post by coalder » Tue. Feb. 14, 2023 9:00 pm

Don't feel like looking it up now. BUT.........read a short time back that even with all this green BS going on that the world was estimated to burn between 8 & 9 BILLION tonnes of coal this year. Germany even is in the process of tearing down wind farms to re open the coal mines that they were built on. Sooooo... looks like demand for coal is is going to remain quite high. Germany was smart enough not to destroy their coal generators. However England supposedly did. Hence, all the "save the world" noise from Brittan.
Also ifn ya ever get bored... check out England's 15 minute cities. Ya have to read it to believe it.
Jim

Hoytman
Location: swOH near a little town where the homes are mobile and the cars aren’t
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 354
Coal Size/Type: nut coal
Other Heating: electric, wood, oil

Post by Hoytman » Tue. Feb. 14, 2023 9:37 pm

My uncle tried burning some rice in with his pellets in his pellet stove. It didn’t work, but that’s the opposite of what you asked about.

hank2
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine 1400 WH ciculator; 1880's small cannon in reserve
Other Heating: small New Yorker oil fired boiler; mostly used for domestic HW

Post by hank2 » Tue. Feb. 14, 2023 11:59 pm

coalder wrote:
Tue. Feb. 14, 2023 9:00 pm
Don't feel like looking it up now. BUT.........read a short time back that even with all this green BS going on that the world was estimated to burn between 8 & 9 BILLION tonnes of coal this year. Germany even is in the process of tearing down wind farms to re open the coal mines that they were built on. Sooooo... looks like demand for coal is is going to remain quite high. Germany was smart enough not to destroy their coal generators. However England supposedly did. Hence, all the "save the world" noise from Brittan.
Also ifn ya ever get bored... check out England's 15 minute cities. Ya have to read it to believe it.
Jim
A lot of hoopla was made by coal haters about 5 years ago when Germany closed their last Anthracite mine. They closed their lignite burning gen plants but preserved them in top shape for reserve. A least a couple of lignite burners have been reopened and they're digging lignite. They even condemned an entire town and kicked the residents out to get to the lignite underneath. Pre-Covid, they were averaging 125,000 new homeless households a month due to energy costs. I'd guess that it's much higher now.

England has at least one small Anthracite underground mine left. Just a small operation and they can't get permits to go further than they already have rights to.

I didn't know what the 15 minute city concept was, so I had to DuckDuck it. UFB!

k-2
Stoker Coal Boiler: K2- Keystoker
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska Stoker Stove
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by k-2 » Wed. Feb. 15, 2023 1:15 am

Might be a good way to get the coal started. I use charcoal bricklets but wood pellets should work too. I expect coal prices to drop back next season given the collapse of Nat gas prices and oil coming down.

ColdHouse

Post by ColdHouse » Wed. Feb. 15, 2023 5:24 am

Coal is mined out of the earth.
Look at it as coal is the organic fuel that is pure and wood pellets is the highly processed fuel that must be manufactured.

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Wed. Feb. 15, 2023 8:11 am

I imagine it would depend on how much pellets you mix in. Too much and you might choke off the air for the coal.

Much like not clearing ash for a coal-only fire,

Paul

theo

Post by theo » Wed. Feb. 15, 2023 8:16 am

k-2 wrote:
Wed. Feb. 15, 2023 1:15 am
Might be a good way to get the coal started. I use charcoal bricklets but wood pellets should work too. I expect coal prices to drop back next season given the collapse of Nat gas prices and oil coming down.
I have been using wood pellets to start the coal, works good. One other member mentioned that is how he starts his coal so i decided to try it.

davidmcbeth3
Coal Size/Type: nut/pea/anthra

Post by davidmcbeth3 » Wed. Feb. 15, 2023 3:56 pm

theo wrote:
Wed. Feb. 15, 2023 8:16 am
I have been using wood pellets to start the coal, works good. One other member mentioned that is how he starts his coal so i decided to try it.
I use pellets to start my 503 ... easy to start the coal burning with them. Some pellets do fall into the ash pan through the grates. Does not matter...still easy to get going.

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Wed. Feb. 15, 2023 4:44 pm

At a little over $6 a bag that's cheaper than using BBQ charcoal. Just priced the Kingsford twin 20lb pack at BJ's and it's $22.00+. Same at Lowes but they give 10% discount for Veterans - still more than a bag of pellets at $329.00 a ton.

Paul

mozz
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 1982 AA-130 Steam

Post by mozz » Wed. Feb. 15, 2023 5:04 pm

I always used charcoal, you don't even come close to using a whole bag so cost is very low.

Return to “The Coffee House”