Washing Machine Drain Filter

ColdHouse

Post by ColdHouse » Wed. Feb. 08, 2023 3:43 pm

I am sure somebody can explain the necessity of a filter on a washing machine drain system. I have this front load washer that stopped working today. Come to find out it is a clogged drain filter. Well I guess this filter is supposed to be periodically cleaned. I haven't ever cleaned it and it was clogged with probably dog hair. So there is this 1.5 inch diameter x 3 inch long plastic assembly that is pretty much packed with hair. It took a year to get this way.

I remember washers of old. They had no filter. When they went into drain mode they freaking moved water. I am sure if you took the amount of debris that I removed from the filter and divided it by the number of loads that have been washed, there would be no issue moving that debris down the drain with the water discharge.

Seems like a stupid feature to me. What say you?

nut
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Glacier Bay
Coal Size/Type: nut
Other Heating: electric

Post by nut » Wed. Feb. 08, 2023 5:08 pm

Supposedly to protect the pump. Why all of a sudden, who knows. Maybe because less water to wash things out.

ColdHouse

Post by ColdHouse » Wed. Feb. 08, 2023 5:17 pm

nut wrote:
Wed. Feb. 08, 2023 5:08 pm
Supposedly to protect the pump. Why all of a sudden, who knows.
Do you think pumps were failing due to lint? It seems like the old machines never failed and the newer ones fail because of some electronics. I think the cost of repairman and repair renders machine disposable whereas older machines were fixable by many homeowners.

That same exact washer model failed 1 week after delivery. We purchased matching washer and dryer. Washer kept throwing a code. We called they sent out a technician. Guy replaced a couple components that didn't fix the issue. He said he would need to order and replace the mother board. Couple days later they called to schedule appointment. Then called back and said they are not going to fix it. Samsung didn't do anything to fix a brand new machine. They refunded the cost of the machine. I argued that I purchased a matching set and want a matching washer. I want the machine replaced. The wouldn't do that or fix the new machine that didn't work. They never even picked up the new washer that was inoperable. We purchased another exact same machine from Lowes and had it delivered. When a brand new machine is thrown away by the manufacturer instead of repaired that speaks volumes.

davidmcbeth3
Coal Size/Type: nut/pea/anthra

Post by davidmcbeth3 » Wed. Feb. 08, 2023 5:23 pm

No one cleans out dishwasher or clothes washers water inlet/outlets "filters" until the machines don't work.

Eternal laziness...my goal.

nut
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Glacier Bay
Coal Size/Type: nut
Other Heating: electric

Post by nut » Wed. Feb. 08, 2023 5:27 pm

Give me simple controls any day. If it has boards you better have a whole house surge protector. Also old fashion dial controls over digital controls. You are right, your energy savings will be cancelled real fast. I was wondering the same thing with an induction range or heat pump water heater.

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Wed. Feb. 08, 2023 5:36 pm

I have a fairly new type "water saving" washer. No filter.

Paul

davidmcbeth3
Coal Size/Type: nut/pea/anthra

Post by davidmcbeth3 » Wed. Feb. 08, 2023 5:37 pm

Sunny Boy wrote:
Wed. Feb. 08, 2023 5:36 pm

Paul
what model ? Like it?

ColdHouse

Post by ColdHouse » Wed. Feb. 08, 2023 6:16 pm

nut wrote:
Wed. Feb. 08, 2023 5:27 pm
Give me simple controls any day. If it has boards you better have a whole house surge protector. Also old fashion dial controls over digital controls. You are right, your energy savings will be cancelled real fast. I was wondering the same thing with an induction range or heat pump water heater.
Do you remember the old door bell button? A piece of spring copper a plastic button and two copper screws to attach the wires. Press the button and the spring copper contacts the other screw. I think the cheapest door bell you can buy today has a circuit board in it.

ColdHouse

Post by ColdHouse » Wed. Feb. 08, 2023 6:20 pm

Sunny Boy wrote:
Wed. Feb. 08, 2023 5:36 pm

Paul
I can say that mine doesn't use lots of water and the clothing comes out with very little water.
Seriously if you saw the packed hair in that drain filter and divided that into 400 loads, there would be negligible debris going thru the pump or down the drain. I could be wrong but I think it is seriously overkill.

Obviously this goes into error code with water not draining. You should see the process via this tiny short hose to try to get the water out before opening the filter housing to clean the filter.

Freddy
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 130 (pea)
Coal Size/Type: Pea size, Superior, deep mined

Post by Freddy » Wed. Feb. 08, 2023 6:23 pm

It used to be if a washing machine went off balance, you'd move the "heavy" clothes to the "light" side & got on with it. My new "efficient" whirlpool will stop, finish draining the water via electric pump, then refill, wishy washy, and spin again. If it is still off balance it does it again....drain, fill, wishy washy, spin. Still off balance... it does it a third time, and then will shut off and do nothing until you move the clothes by hand. Yup.... that's efficient...., sure, sure.

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Wed. Feb. 08, 2023 6:36 pm

davidmcbeth3 wrote:
Wed. Feb. 08, 2023 5:37 pm
what model ? Like it?
A Sears Kenmore water saver.

I hate it. But I needed a new washer and I got most of the cost of the machine as a credit on my utility bill for buying an "energy/water saving" washer.

I have to do all the loads on the "heavy load cycle" to get enough water depth to cover everything. Instructions for the water saver cycle even say that the water level will not cover everything but that's ok. They left out the part that should say that it won't clean well. :evil:

Paul

ColdHouse

Post by ColdHouse » Wed. Feb. 08, 2023 7:14 pm

Sunny Boy wrote:
Wed. Feb. 08, 2023 6:36 pm
A Sears Kenmore water saver.

I hate it. But I needed a new washer and I got most of the cost of the machine as a credit on my utility bill for buying an "energy/water saving" washer.

I have to do all the loads on the "heavy load cycle" to get enough water depth to cover everything. Instructions for the water saver cycle even say that the water level will not cover everything but that's ok. They left out the part that should say that it won't clean well. :evil:

Paul
Mine is front loader and I have no complaints about the amount of water it uses or the way it cleans. I make my own soap that works great. Loads are clean and smell good.

I had a machine that was a top loader that would do that drain and fill for off balance BS. That was a royal PITA. The key or trick is to not load it so full. I bet if you put in a smaller load it won't do that.

Hoytman
Location: swOH near a little town where the homes are mobile and the cars aren’t
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 354
Coal Size/Type: nut coal
Other Heating: electric, wood, oil

Post by Hoytman » Wed. Feb. 08, 2023 7:21 pm

A a recent GE we had would do it no matter what size load it was.

My son said to tell all you old dogs to buy Speed Queen or go home.

Specifically:
Speed Queen Classic model; TC 5003WN

Alternative…
Maytag Commercial model; MVWP576KW
(Buyers Beware … Maytags “labeled” “Commercial”…not the same as the “real”model number given)

The Maytag Commercial is cheaper price.

The Speed Queen, better have a pocket full of money because these are the same as you’d see in a coin-op laundromat…without the coin slot.

These two brands and models are as close as you can get to the old ones built to last and made like tanks, wash the best…also use the water.

waytomany?s
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harmon Mark II
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Looking
Baseburners & Antiques: Looking
Coal Size/Type: Nut
Other Heating: newmac wood/coal combo furnace

Post by waytomany?s » Wed. Feb. 08, 2023 7:36 pm

Missed a word Bill. :lol:

Hoytman
Location: swOH near a little town where the homes are mobile and the cars aren’t
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 354
Coal Size/Type: nut coal
Other Heating: electric, wood, oil

Post by Hoytman » Wed. Feb. 08, 2023 7:40 pm

If you want better than either of those…going to have to go back to the old FilterFlo design.

…and for those wishing to fill their washers more…here’s the simplest fix…
Hey lawmaker(s) (enter what ever name you wish) … stick that in your pipe and smoke it.

:clap: :lol:
Last edited by Hoytman on Wed. Feb. 08, 2023 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “The Coffee House”