Should your children be taken from you if

ColdHouse

Post by ColdHouse » Fri. Feb. 03, 2023 4:25 pm

Should your children be taken from you if you don't have running water inside the home or heat your home above 55*?

k-2
Stoker Coal Boiler: K2- Keystoker
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska Stoker Stove
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by k-2 » Fri. Feb. 03, 2023 4:29 pm

ColdHouse wrote:
Fri. Feb. 03, 2023 4:25 pm
Should your children be taken from you if you don't have running water inside the home or heat your home above 55*?
Around here the code officer would condemn the house for either of those conditions and not allow anyone to live there until it was corrected.

ColdHouse

Post by ColdHouse » Fri. Feb. 03, 2023 4:35 pm

k-2 wrote:
Fri. Feb. 03, 2023 4:29 pm
Around here the code officer would condemn the house for either of those conditions and not allow anyone to live there until it was corrected.
Should you be able to live in a home you own on land you own that doesn't have running water and you choose to only heat to 55*?

Hoytman
Location: swOH near a little town where the homes are mobile and the cars aren’t
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 354
Coal Size/Type: nut coal
Other Heating: electric, wood, oil

Post by Hoytman » Fri. Feb. 03, 2023 4:39 pm

Get to the point, Coldhouse.

theo

Post by theo » Fri. Feb. 03, 2023 4:59 pm

Yes, if I live there on my own with no family or anyone that I would have to care for other then me

k-2
Stoker Coal Boiler: K2- Keystoker
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska Stoker Stove
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by k-2 » Fri. Feb. 03, 2023 5:04 pm

ColdHouse wrote:
Fri. Feb. 03, 2023 4:35 pm
Should you be able to live in a home you own on land you own that doesn't have running water and you choose to only heat to 55*?
Im sure thats a different question than what you can subject minor children too. But the amish dont seem to have a problem with it. Here its not so much as the temp but if theres a working heating system and water for sanitation.

ColdHouse

Post by ColdHouse » Fri. Feb. 03, 2023 5:12 pm

theo wrote:
Fri. Feb. 03, 2023 4:59 pm
Yes, if I live there on my own with no family or anyone that I would have to care for other then me
Why no family? Better than no heat or running water living on the street. Could be very nice home. 55* could be something that people easily adapt to.

coalder
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: harman sf 160
Coal Size/Type: Nut
Other Heating: wood parlor stove

Post by coalder » Fri. Feb. 03, 2023 5:51 pm

Adults living on their own, W/O dependent children, can keep their home at whatever temp they feel like. However, when children are involved the equation changes dramatically. Especially if such child or children complain about it. HINT: Schools are mandatory reporters to Social Service, and or police. Not sure about CT but can't imagine that the laws are much different there than in NY. And, I can only paraphrase but in NY a person is guilty of endangering the welfare of a child when he or she engages in conduct that endangers the physical, moral or mental welfare of a child. And after 25 yrs in law enforcement I can pretty much confirm that subjecting any child to live in such conditions,( a house kept at 55*) meets the requirements of said statute. And having no running water & an open outhouse would only enhance all charges.
No child today deserves to live like that!!!!!!!!!!!

JIM

Hoytman
Location: swOH near a little town where the homes are mobile and the cars aren’t
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 354
Coal Size/Type: nut coal
Other Heating: electric, wood, oil

Post by Hoytman » Fri. Feb. 03, 2023 6:00 pm

k-2 wrote:
Fri. Feb. 03, 2023 5:04 pm
Im sure thats a different question than what you can subject minor children too. But the amish dont seem to have a problem with it. Here its not so much as the temp but if theres a working heating system and water for sanitation.
He never mentioned “minor” children as of your post, only “children”. No age mentioned of the family or the children.

Are we going speculate age?

If the context was minor children, then specify it.

That’s why I said get to the point. The way the questions were presented there was/is too many unknown variables to speculate.

Give all the details, then ask the question. Don’t make me assume… :lol:

coalder
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: harman sf 160
Other Heating: wood parlor stove

Post by coalder » Fri. Feb. 03, 2023 6:12 pm

Bill, if the kids were removed then obviously they were minors, and had been subjected to this brutal cold snap. Most likely the school caught on and called SS.
Hopefully those kids aren't shivering now.

Jim

Lightning
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Modified AA 130
Coal Size/Type: Pea Size - Anthracite

Post by Lightning » Fri. Feb. 03, 2023 6:18 pm

My wife and I had to go thru Foster Parenting classes because we needed to adopt a grandchild. Turns out that we got primary custody so we didn't have to go that route. In the fostering classes there were specific conditions that needed to be met. Believe it or not, the child's bedroom could not even be in a basement, finished or otherwise.

waytomany?s
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harmon Mark II
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Looking
Baseburners & Antiques: Looking
Other Heating: newmac wood/coal combo furnace

Post by waytomany?s » Fri. Feb. 03, 2023 6:31 pm

What temp is the average home kept at in Alaska? Many rural communities do not have running water. My aunt's sister had no running water when they moved there. With a.baby. No wells. Have.to install water tanks. Not sure about septic.

warminmn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Junior, Efel Nestor Martin, Riteway 37
Coal Size/Type: nut and stove anthracite, lignite
Other Heating: Wood and wear a wool shirt

Post by warminmn » Fri. Feb. 03, 2023 6:38 pm

I'd like to know the OP's opinion when questions like these are asked. I feel like its a police interview otherwise, lol

Interesting about the basement Lightning. Coalder, I can only imagine what you saw in all those years.

My answer would have to be it depends. Too many variables.

Waytomany, yep, lots of people live like that there. People make livings hauling water to people. People that are lucky enough to have driveways often haul fuel oil in the summer and all the other supplies. Would be nice living in the country there if you started doing it when young.

theo

Post by theo » Fri. Feb. 03, 2023 6:40 pm

ColdHouse wrote:
Fri. Feb. 03, 2023 5:12 pm
Why no family? Better than no heat or running water living on the street. Could be very nice home. 55* could be something that people easily adapt to.
You asked a question,,,,, I answered it :lol:

exwoodburner
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Mark I
Coal Size/Type: Reading Chestnut
Other Heating: Natural Gas Forced Air Furnace

Post by exwoodburner » Fri. Feb. 03, 2023 6:42 pm

Hoytman wrote:
Fri. Feb. 03, 2023 6:00 pm
He never mentioned “minor” children as of your post, only “children”. No age mentioned of the family or the children.

Are we going speculate age?

If the context was minor children, then specify it.

That’s why I said get to the point. The way the questions were presented there was/is too many unknown variables to speculate.

Give all the details, then ask the question. Don’t make me assume… :lol:
Yes this guy asks all types of strange almost rhetorical questions without any context then answers questions by asking another question.

Return to “The Coffee House”