Where are the teachers?

ColdHouse

Post by ColdHouse » Tue. Jan. 31, 2023 8:51 am

The School system has taken over teaching. It is mandated to go to school. A high school teenager that is illiterate in math and or reading is not the product of bad parenting. The school took over the teaching job and has had those kids for 12 years. Why didn't they teach them simple math and reading when they were young? At, Cat, Bat, it, sit, bit.... 2+2=4. If a child learns that 2+2=4 why is Algebra difficult? Substitute an unknown number with a letter. C+2=4. ?+2=4...
The best proof of the failure of teaching is with foreign language. I have a brilliant son that got high honors in every class. He took 4 years of French and was on the honor role. Graduated top of his class. Scored perfect on his Math SAT's. After 4 years of French he can't speak a lick of French.
Obviously teachers and the curiculum are the failure.
I could teach math and fractions to an idiot. If one approach is not working utilize another.

nut
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Glacier Bay
Coal Size/Type: nut
Other Heating: electric

Post by nut » Tue. Jan. 31, 2023 9:44 am

Last week we had some snow. Some schools opted to call a virtual learning day rather than making it a snow day. Trouble is they don't teach virtually. Some take attendance and sign off. Where are the administrators? Apparently not monitoring things. By now the teachers have had enough experience with online teaching to have lesson plans ready.

I am not going to put all the fault on the teachers though. Their job is made harder by crappy parents that do not instill respect in their children. Teachers can not be expected to fix societal problems.

ColdHouse

Post by ColdHouse » Tue. Jan. 31, 2023 9:58 am

nut wrote:
Tue. Jan. 31, 2023 9:44 am
Last week we had some snow. Some schools opted to call a virtual learning day rather than making it a snow day. Trouble is they don't teach virtually. Some take attendance and sign off. Where are the administrators? Apparently not monitoring things. By now the teachers have had enough experience with online teaching to have lesson plans ready.

I am not going to put all the fault on the teachers though. Their job is made harder by crappy parents that do not instill respect in their children. Teachers can not be expected to fix societal problems.
There should be specific behavior conduct rules established for a classroom. Failure to meet those rules should result in the student being removed from the class. All falls on the teachers. If that is their job and kids don't learn, then it needs to change. Take government out of the education business. If teachers can't do it without parents, then put all the responsibility for teaching on parents. Privatize education.

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Tue. Jan. 31, 2023 10:25 am

There used to be rules,... all listed in a "Student handbook" that we were given at the beginning of the school year. Whatever happened to those ?

Paul

k-2
Stoker Coal Boiler: K2- Keystoker
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska Stoker Stove
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by k-2 » Tue. Jan. 31, 2023 10:31 am

ColdHouse wrote:
Tue. Jan. 31, 2023 8:51 am
Obviously teachers and the curiculum are the failure.
I could teach math and fractions to an idiot. If one approach is not working utilize another.

One of those election helper recently messaged me asking for my vote for some hopeful candidate promising to give more money to schools. My response was that they already get too much money and put out worse and worse results. How about some of that money be results based. Some schools would starve.

nut

Post by nut » Tue. Jan. 31, 2023 10:44 am

How many parents have the time to home school? Public education is a success story. Most of us are a product of it. When I went to school, if you acted up in school you could count on getting a licking when you got home. Not anymore. Now the teacher gets called to the office to be chewed out by the parent. Kids are spitting on teachers. Assaulting them. Good teachers are leaving the profession. If we want to lose out to the world, do away with public education. The system needs fixing, not eliminating.

ColdHouse

Post by ColdHouse » Tue. Jan. 31, 2023 10:46 am

Bottom line is every worker and industry is judged by the outcome of their labor. Teachers are not teaching kids. If I hire a house keeper that doesn't do a good job I fire them. Had my MIL on medication for OCD she still had OCD. Obviously medicine doesn't work. Put burden of children on the parents where it belongs.

ColdHouse

Post by ColdHouse » Tue. Jan. 31, 2023 10:51 am

Take away all entitlements. Be responsible for yourself. Stop extorting money from one person to pay for someone else's lifestyle.
Eliminating public eduction wouldn't change a thing in a negative way. Good parents are going to teach their kids and send them to private schools with the money they don't pay in tax. Cost of education will come down because educators will have to compete for your business. Dumb kids going to be dumb anyway.

ColdHouse

Post by ColdHouse » Tue. Jan. 31, 2023 10:55 am

It has been argued that the ridiculous cost for college is because the government is involved in financing it. Go back years ago and people were able to afford to pay for their college. Costs are out of control.
College should be financed by banks on a risk basis. Take away the no bankruptcy on college loans. Banks should evaluate a person's aptitude and consider the job market in the degree being sought and use factors to determine whether to finance the education. Too many people go to college. Too many worthless degrees.

nut

Post by nut » Tue. Jan. 31, 2023 10:59 am

There are plenty of good school districts left. The bad ones are usually in low economic areas. Those kids are not going to go to private school and the parents certainly are not going to teach them.

ColdHouse

Post by ColdHouse » Tue. Jan. 31, 2023 11:08 am

nut wrote:
Tue. Jan. 31, 2023 10:59 am
There are plenty of good school districts left. The bad ones are usually in low economic areas. Those kids are not going to go to private school and the parents certainly are not going to teach them.
What is the benefit of having them attend 12 years cause trouble and not be educated?
Teachers are failing them!
Easiest time to teach children is when they are young. If they do a good job then it is easier as they get older. There is no way to not put the failure on the teacher.
Why are low income districts not having good teaching? Often times there is more money spent in low income districts.
When a child is 5 or 6 it is very easy to teach them to read and math.
Teachers have no problem teaching their woke or political ideology.

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Tue. Jan. 31, 2023 11:10 am

No child is left behind anymore, so a disproportionate amount of the teacher's resources have to be spend on the few kids that are seriously struggling. Although no one is left behind, it has seriously flattened the curve.

I am only 40 years old, and things have changed a LOT since I went to school. Some kids were in the slow readers group, others were in the fast readers group. If you got good grades you could stay after school for "math league" and get challenged. If you didn't pass a grade you repeated the grade. Kids that struggled with bookwork could choose a curriculum that was more heavily weighted with industrial arts. Most of the guys I know that got "local diplomas" have done very well for themselves and aren't complaining about college loans. All of these things have changed.
Bottom line is every worker and industry is judged by the outcome of their labor. Teachers are not teaching kids. If I hire a house keeper that doesn't do a good job I fire them.
Even if your housekeeper was told exactly how to clean your house the state and they followed the instructions?

You are painting with a pretty broad brush. There are no teachers in my family, but I know enough to say that many of them are as frustrated as you are. The STATE is failing the teachers and the kids.

ColdHouse

Post by ColdHouse » Tue. Jan. 31, 2023 11:11 am

nut wrote:
Too much collected in tax to justify the few good districts. Besides let parents pay for their own kids education.
Have government get out of the education and regulate education and fine the underperforming educators.
Everybody doesn't need a deep education. I knew more after 4th grade than many know after college.
Basic reading, writing, math, introduction to science.
Most school is a waste of time on things nobody ever remembers.

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Tue. Jan. 31, 2023 11:18 am

nut wrote:
We moved from the second worst school district on Long Island, one that went steadily downhill after I graduated in 1969, thanks to Suffolk County using the area as one of their welfare dumping grounds. Moved upstate to what is one the State's best school districts in one of the poorest counties in NYS. The big difference is the quality of teachers. Made a huge difference for my kids.

Paul

ColdHouse

Post by ColdHouse » Tue. Jan. 31, 2023 11:30 am

Rob R. wrote:
Tue. Jan. 31, 2023 11:10 am
No child is left behind anymore, so a disproportionate amount of the teacher's resources have to be spend on the few kids that are seriously struggling. Although no one is left behind, it has seriously flattened the curve.

I am only 40 years old, and things have changed a LOT since I went to school. Some kids were in the slow readers group, others were in the fast readers group. If you got good grades you could stay after school for "math league" and get challenged. If you didn't pass a grade you repeated the grade. Kids that struggled with bookwork could choose a curriculum that was more heavily weighted with industrial arts. Most of the guys I know that got "local diplomas" have done very well for themselves and aren't complaining about college loans. All of these things have changed.

Even if your housekeeper was told exactly how to clean your house the state and they followed the instructions?

You are painting with a pretty broad brush. There are no teachers in my family, but I know enough to say that many of them are as frustrated as you are. The STATE is failing the teachers and the kids.
My youngest daughter took Algebra 1 in 7th grade and Geometry in 8th grade. As a Freshman in HS she was tutoring Seniors in math. As mentioned son scored perfect on math SAT's very rare. He graduated top of his class and acquired a full tuition scholarship to RPI in NY. The scholarship didn't cover room and board. He wrestled all thru college and worked. He was an RA for 3 years. Left RPI with an engineering degree after 4 years and stayed a 5th and got a masters in business analytics. Oldest daughter fluent in 4 languages, graduated from HS with 4.85 GPA and had spent a year in Spain as exchange student. Oldest son was super smart but chose to be a clown instead of student. He is now an arborist in Victor Idaho it is up the pass from Jackson-hole WY.
I was broke living in the worst part of town in dilapidated home when my youngest kids were going thru school.

If parents are too dumb to teach their kids, and that job falls on the teachers, then they should render good results.

Back to brilliant son. Kindergarten teacher said he couldn't learn reading. I wrote a book for him. He learned how to read that Saturday. First grade teacher said he couldn't write his letters and numbers, That Saturday in 5 minutes he wrote perfect penmanship letters and numbers. Showed teacher this is what he is capable of if you can't get this he is not at fault. 3rd grade teacher said he couldn't learn Souther States. Saturday morning 10 minutes later after opening up the phone book the kid knew the country. 4th grade teacher wanted to hold him back because she loved him and he wasn't ready to move up. Pulled him from that school and he was top of the class from that point until today. Didn't mention that all those early teachers wanted him on drugs for ADD and that wasn't going to happen. If I let the schools system dictate my son's growth and development he would have been destroyed and had zero confidence. Today he is 25, electrical engineer, owns the two family home that I used to own, probably makes around 120k, plus stock options and bonuses. He lives frugally and probably has 200k net liquid assets.

Why? Because I taught him math and logic at a young age.

Return to “The Coffee House”