11 posts • Page 1 of 1
- Posts: 828
- Joined: Wed. Aug. 28, 2019 1:54 pm
- Location: NEPA
- Hand Fed Coal Stove: Glacier Bay
- Coal Size/Type: nut
- Other Heating: electric
Has anyone heard if the switch to DST this March is going to be permanent? How you all feel about that? I was thinking a half hour compromise would be good.
The clock in our bedroom hasn't been changed. Pretty dark in the morning. I would think that a morning person would like to have it get light earlier and a night person would like the extra light in the evening. IMHO it gets dark so early in the winter it would be insignificant if it were light for an extra hour. Or maybe it is just because it is the end of the day and you are prepared for night because the sun goes down. But once again IMHO, I think morning is associated with the rising of the sun so when it is still dark past 8am that isn't very motivating. I would prefer it stay the way it is. I think it was done so because of kids going to school in the dark or something like that. Either way doesn't really affect me that much one way or the other because it is just a number.
- freetown fred
- Posts: 30233
- Joined: Thu. Dec. 31, 2009 12:33 pm
- Location: Freetown,NY 13803
- Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
- Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut
Course ya would!!! It serves no purpose other then to be a pain in the ass!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Kinda like the Hatfield's & McCoy's. Nobody remembers why!!!!!
- Posts: 7787
- Joined: Tue. Feb. 08, 2011 5:59 pm
- Location: Land of 11,842 lakes
- Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Junior, Efel Nestor Martin, Riteway 37
- Coal Size/Type: nut and stove anthracite, lignite
- Other Heating: Wood and wear a wool shirt
My preference would be sunset at 10PM every day of the year no matter what time it comes up! I like late day sun. But unless I rule the earth it will never happen.
- Posts: 39
- Joined: Tue. Jan. 24, 2023 5:15 pm
- Location: Turtle Creek, New Brunswick, Canada
- Hand Fed Coal Stove: Salamander
- Coal Size/Type: Nut
- Other Heating: Diesel, Propane, and a Mini Split
Unless you have critters then the time change is just a giant pain in the ass, animals don't live by a clock and don't change their schedules. Me I am a night person, and personally I would sooner live where it is dark for months at a time. The only draw back is then you got months of sun. I have learned not to really follow a clock, and go by the light.
- Posts: 126
- Joined: Sun. May. 01, 2022 8:53 pm
- Location: IL/WI State Line and Worland, WY
- Hand Fed Coal Stove: Working on it
- Other Heating: Woodland wood stove
I'm completely with you on the split the difference and leaving it there, year around.
I thought all of this was voted on and wasn't going to be an issue anymore, but I see 11/5 it's all happening again
- Site Moderator
- Posts: 14463
- Joined: Wed. Nov. 16, 2011 9:51 am
- Location: Olean, NY
- Stoker Coal Boiler: Modified AA 130
- Coal Size/Type: Pea Size - Anthracite
I would vote for DST to be permanent. I'd rather have more light towards the end of the day instead of while most people are sleeping..
- Sunny Boy
- Posts: 24870
- Joined: Mon. Nov. 11, 2013 1:40 pm
- Location: Central NY
- Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
- Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
- Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
- Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace
Same here. Those few states that have for a long time never changed their clocks have done fine.