Where are the parents?????

ColdHouse

Post by ColdHouse » Sun. Mar. 26, 2023 4:16 am

k-2 wrote:
Sat. Mar. 25, 2023 7:05 pm
Sometimes i help my tenants get help from the Govt like HUD and others. Its shocking at how easy it is and the worst part is theres no time limits or work requirements attached. No wonder people use it as a lifetime career.
That is greed on your part.

Why do I say that? Because a person with entitlement housing is guaranteed rent. When you rent to those without the benefit you risk months with no rent and the eviction process.

Why is that the system. Judges tell landlords they must allow non paying tenants to remain in the home. Landlords are on the losing end of disputes. Everybody thinks the property owner is rich.

Furthermore you can charge more rent to an entitled tenant than you can get from the free market.

At least that is the way it is in Connecticut where I used to have tenants.

I am finally out of that. The filth and hassle of cleaning and rehabbing units after they leave.

The system is the problem. Allow landlords to throw out non paying tenants. Get government out of housing, education, speech, healthcare, food, pretty much everything and restrain them from starting WWIII or getting involved in other countries affairs.

davidmcbeth3
Coal Size/Type: nut/pea/anthra

Post by davidmcbeth3 » Sun. Mar. 26, 2023 9:08 am

I see landlords all the time at the civil clerk's office. Most have no clue what they are doing.

First thing to know before you become a LL: how to kick tenants out.

The gov't has no business paying peoples' rent.

ColdHouse

Post by ColdHouse » Sun. Mar. 26, 2023 9:20 am

davidmcbeth3 wrote:
Sun. Mar. 26, 2023 9:08 am
I see landlords all the time at the civil clerk's office. Most have no clue what they are doing.

First thing to know before you become a LL: how to kick tenants out.

Landlords should never believe the tenant that is behind. Start eviction process first day rent is late. Itemize all cleaning, repairs, window washing, removal of garbage..... Oh yes here in CT if you are an LLC or corporation you have to hire a lawyer to evict a person. Why? Because you are not the LLC or corporation and you cannot practice law or represent some entity other than yourself in the court of law without a license.

Pretty simple to determine the good tenant from the bad when meeting them and watching their behavior and that of their family. When kids are running around uncontrolled slamming cupboard doors and touching all the freshly painted walls.....Of course nobody smokes when you rent a smoke free apartment but their ash trays have cigarette butts falling out and spilling on the floor and they stink of smoke... Go look inside their car.

I read somewhere a month or so ago that some state is making it illegal to do a background check on perspective tenants.

But, what I said earlier is true. Rent from HUD or Section 8 is going to get paid and the landlord can charge more than any other person would pay. So renting to the entitled costs more. This problem exists wherever government gets involved.

k-2
Stoker Coal Boiler: K2- Keystoker
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska Stoker Stove
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by k-2 » Sun. Mar. 26, 2023 11:40 am

ColdHouse wrote:
Sun. Mar. 26, 2023 4:16 am
That is greed on your part.
Why do I say that? Because a person with entitlement housing is guaranteed rent. When you rent to those without the benefit you risk months with no rent and the eviction process.
Its not greed to want to get paid for the house im providing at my expense. Now you sound like those whacky progressives,who say all landlords are greedy leeches.And good tenants do fall into situations where they temporarily cant pay the rent. I also don't charge any more when HUD pays the rent than for anyone else.Already way below standard rates, even the Avg for my county. If the tenant wasn't worth saving id evict instead of helping them. Some of them are buying the property and i dont want to see them lose years of payments. After all these years in the business iv only kept the good ones. But i want out of it altogether before i start having to deal with squatters ,the next shoe to drop.

k-2

Post by k-2 » Sun. Mar. 26, 2023 11:53 am

davidmcbeth3 wrote:
Sun. Mar. 26, 2023 9:08 am
I agree ,but thats no reason not to have them pay you if the situation arises. Why should i let them tax me to pay other peoples rent and not use the program for what it should be used for which is TEMPORARY help, not a lifetime of
handouts. If the Govt can tell me i cant evict, then they should pay the rent.

ColdHouse

Post by ColdHouse » Sun. Mar. 26, 2023 12:04 pm

k-2 wrote:
Sun. Mar. 26, 2023 11:40 am
Its not greed to want to get paid for the house im providing at my expense. Now you sound like those whacky progressives,who say all landlords are greedy leeches.And good tenants do fall into situations where they temporarily cant pay the rent. I also don't charge any more when HUD pays the rent than for anyone else.Already way below standard rates, even the Avg for my county. If the tenant wasn't worth saving id evict instead of helping them. Some of them are buying the property and i dont want to see them lose years of payments. After all these years in the business iv only kept the good ones. But i want out of it altogether before i start having to deal with squatters ,the next shoe to drop.
It is much more likely that a perceived good tenant will become a bad tenant than it is for a perceived bad tenant to become a good tenant.

If I were you I would maximize income on HUD rentals. I had people paying nothing toward their rent. Charge the maximum allowable for your unit.

Government should not be involved in housing. Squatters should be able to be thrown out no questions asked.

warminmn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Junior, Efel Nestor Martin, Riteway 37
Coal Size/Type: nut and stove anthracite, lignite
Other Heating: Wood and wear a wool shirt

Post by warminmn » Sun. Mar. 26, 2023 12:41 pm

Your doing nothing wrong K-2. Im glad I dont have any renters to deal with.

A lot of us hate subsidies/rebates or many of them, but most of us grab them when we can. the solar, electric car, energy home improvements, etc. Its easy to whine about them but I notice that most people jump at the chance when they can.

Im trying to remember if Ive ever gotten any and dont remember any. Maybe there was. But I'd probably take them if I had the chance, just like 99% of people. I just dont buy many things new.

k-2

Post by k-2 » Sun. Mar. 26, 2023 1:26 pm

warminmn wrote:
Sun. Mar. 26, 2023 12:41 pm
A lot of us hate subsidies/rebates or many of them, but most of us grab them when we can. the solar, electric car, energy home improvements, etc. Its easy to whine about them but I notice that most people jump at the chance when they can.
Thats right, otherwise your already paying for others to benefit from these subsidies ,so you would be crazy not to get them yourself and certainly not greedy. If you cant beat them, join them to a certain extent and it looks like we cant beat them however much we try.

k-2

Post by k-2 » Sun. Mar. 26, 2023 1:30 pm

ColdHouse wrote:
Sun. Mar. 26, 2023 12:04 pm
Government should not be involved in housing. Squatters should be able to be thrown out no questions asked.
What the Govt should do and what they will do are 2 very different things. And since im paying for this mess ill certainly get some of it back if can. Many of my tenants work their butts off and are good people that have been with me for years some decades.I dont have any welfare lifers. I dont rent to those with no steady job. All but 1 are buying the homes im renting to them.

ColdHouse

Post by ColdHouse » Sun. Mar. 26, 2023 1:37 pm

k-2 wrote:
Sun. Mar. 26, 2023 1:30 pm
What the Govt should do and what they will do are 2 very different things. And since im paying for this mess ill certainly get some of it back if can. Many of my tenants work their butts off and are good people that have been with me for years some decades.I dont have any welfare lifers. I dont rent to those with no steady job. All but 1 are buying the homes im renting to them.
In all but one instance you are not a landlord but an owner financing a sale. So most of the people you speak of are homeowners not tenants.

I agree that a person would be a fool to not take what is available to them.

With that said, it is the same mentality that entitled people have. Take whatever they can get.

k-2

Post by k-2 » Sun. Mar. 26, 2023 2:27 pm

ColdHouse wrote:
Sun. Mar. 26, 2023 1:37 pm
With that said, it is the same mentality that entitled people have. Take whatever they can get.
The difference is im paying for these and other subsidies. The welfare lifers and disability fakers are not paying for anything for themselves or anyone else.
Last edited by k-2 on Sun. Mar. 26, 2023 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

theo

Post by theo » Sun. Mar. 26, 2023 2:30 pm

Same old story, give a man a fish,,,,,,,

davidmcbeth3

Post by davidmcbeth3 » Sun. Mar. 26, 2023 2:49 pm

k-2 wrote:
Sun. Mar. 26, 2023 11:53 am
I agree ,but thats no reason not to have them pay you if the situation arises. Why should i let them tax me to pay other peoples rent and not use the program for what it should be used for which is TEMPORARY help, not a lifetime of
handouts. If the Govt can tell me i cant evict, then they should pay the rent.
One has to sign-up to be approved to be a LL for sec. 8 housing, yes?

Once you do and start doing sec. 8 housing, yes you are bound by the terms. Hello tree branches in toilets, etc. lol The gov't pays for repair I guess...it happens more often in sec. 8 housing.

A LL cannot be forced to accept sec. 8 housing, its a contractual arraignment agreed upon by the LL and gov't.

Not sure how sec. 8 works presently. Does gov't pay LL directly or does tenant?

davidmcbeth3

Post by davidmcbeth3 » Sun. Mar. 26, 2023 2:55 pm

k-2 wrote:
Sun. Mar. 26, 2023 1:30 pm
The gov't does what it does. It sounds like you don't do sec. 8 housing, correct ?

ColdHouse

Post by ColdHouse » Sun. Mar. 26, 2023 3:03 pm

k-2 wrote:
Sun. Mar. 26, 2023 2:27 pm
The difference is im paying for these and other subsidies. The welfare lifers and disability fakers are not paying for anything for themselves or anyone else.
What difference does that make? If the government deems it okay for this money to be given away, it doesn't matter if the person receiving it has paid anything or not. This is an entitlement program not a repayment program.

Your situation sounds kind of complicated. You are the owner, they are buying from you? IDK. If you still owe money on the property you are selling to them that could be complicated or might even be illegal. Who pays for repairs? If I bought a home and make payments, the finance company doesn't pay for my repairs.

Return to “The Coffee House”