Notice Oddity with Enclyopedia - "Volume by Wt."

davidmcbeth3
Coal Size/Type: nut/pea/anthra

Post by davidmcbeth3 » Thu. Jan. 05, 2023 1:01 am

https://coalpail.com/coal-heating-encyclopedia/vo ... oal-weight

Bulk density is usually reported as mass/volume just like regular density

https://coalpail.com/coal-heating-encyclopedia/vo ... oal-weight

^^ encyclopedia shows it volume per weight ...

anywho...its 50 lbs per cubic foot or 0.8 grams per cubic centimeter

and 1 gal = 0.133 cuft 5 gal =0.665 cubic foot

5 gallons (ie 0,665 cuft) of coal, per encyclopedia bulk density, this should hold :
0.665 cuft * 50#/cuft = 33.25 lbs of coal

Seems not bad... 5 gallon bucket holding about 33 lbs of coal ... I think I can fill 5 gal. with about 50 lbs of nut. The sheet does note that bulk density varies with size distribution of coal size, which is accurate.

I would guess that one purpose of the volume part of the encyclopedia is to provide container dimensions to accommodate the lowest bulk density sized coal for the weight of coal noted so that any coal size would likely fit into the container recommended. Yet this may end up with users making bigger containers than needed and for some with space limitations of storage space this might cause issues.

Lightning
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Modified AA 130
Coal Size/Type: Pea Size - Anthracite

Post by Lightning » Thu. Jan. 05, 2023 9:49 am

I've always measured a 5 gallon pail to be 40-41 pounds full and level. But I didn't check to see if they are actually exactly 5 gallons either lol

I also found that a cubic foot of coal is closer to 52-53 pounds depending on the coal sizing and density.

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Thu. Jan. 05, 2023 10:53 am

Lightning wrote:
Thu. Jan. 05, 2023 9:49 am
I've always measured a 5 gallon pail to be 40-41 pounds full and level. But I didn't check to see if they are actually exactly 5 gallons either lol

I also found that a cubic foot of coal is closer to 52-53 pounds depending on the coal sizing and density.
Same here. Any of the many five-gallon pails I have holds a 40 pound bag of nut coal level with the bucket top. Same when measuring 5 gallons of nut coal using a fairly accurate kitchen scale.

Paul

snuffy
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman SF250 & Mark III backup
Other Heating: Oil Hot Water

Post by snuffy » Thu. Jan. 05, 2023 6:27 pm

FYI, there are different size 5 gal buckets. Most of my nut/stove mix buckets and I have about 75 weigh in at 33lbs with the largest at 41lbs. I'd look at the bottom for size but probably end up looking like Lt Col Blake on MASH episode:)

Return to “The Coffee House”