Freddy's Coffee House 31Dec2022-2022 Closer Edition!!

ziggy87
Stoker Coal Boiler: axeman anderson 130
Coal Size/Type: Pea

Post by ziggy87 » Sun. Jan. 01, 2023 6:03 pm

First of all happy Anniversary Mr and Mrs Hb.
Happy new year everyone. Oh what a year it was. My dad passed away right before Christmas. It is a blessing. He will not be suffering anymore.
With that being said I should hopefully be on here more this year. I have a few updates to post. Other than that all is well!

Jason

waytomany?s
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harmon Mark II
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Looking
Baseburners & Antiques: Looking
Coal Size/Type: Nut
Other Heating: newmac wood/coal combo furnace

Post by waytomany?s » Sun. Jan. 01, 2023 6:38 pm

ziggy87 wrote:
Sun. Jan. 01, 2023 6:03 pm
Happy new year everyone. Oh what a year it was. My dad passed away right before Christmas. It is a blessing. He will not be suffering anymore.
With that being said I should hopefully be on here more this year. I have a few updates to post. Other than that all is well!

Jason
Sorry for your loss.

Freddy
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 130 (pea)
Coal Size/Type: Pea size, Superior, deep mined

Post by Freddy » Sun. Jan. 01, 2023 9:09 pm

ziggy87 wrote: My dad passed away right before Christmas.
May he rest in peace and may you & your family cherish good memories.

ASea
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska Kast Console II
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Coal Chubby
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114, Glenwood 30 "Estate" Warm Morning 120
Coal Size/Type: Sherman Anthracite Nut/Stove from C&T Coal
Other Heating: Peerless Boiler with Cast Iron Baseboards

Post by ASea » Mon. Jan. 02, 2023 9:56 am

Happy New Year! Happy Anniversary to HB and Julie! Ziggy, I'm sorry to hear about your father and happy he's no longer suffering. I lost my Dad at 61 a few years back to Lewy Body Dementia. It's still tough at times, my sincerest condolences.

We made a heckuva meal yesterday. Boneless Rib Roast, twice baked potatoes, and peas with pearl onions. I splurged a little and we did stuffed scallops, scallops wrapped in bacon, and lobster stuffed mushrooms as an appetizer. Served with a nice cold bottle of Asti Spumante. I may have need of a cardiologist in the New Year! Wishing all the best for everyone in 2023!

lincolnmania
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 350
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: reading allegheny stoker
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: alaska kodiak stoker 1986. 1987 triburner, 1987 crane diamond
Coal Size/Type: rice

Post by lincolnmania » Mon. Jan. 02, 2023 12:12 pm

ziggy87 wrote:
Sun. Jan. 01, 2023 6:03 pm

Jason
Sorry for your loss.

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Mon. Jan. 02, 2023 3:58 pm

SAD stuff Z!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SMITTY
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520 Highboy
Coal Size/Type: Rice / Blaschak anthracite
Other Heating: Oil fired Burnham boiler

Post by SMITTY » Mon. Jan. 02, 2023 10:36 pm

Sorry to hear that, Jason. Hopefully 2023 is better ... for ALL of us.

New Years resolution ... to not rant and dump in the Coffee House! ;) Apologies for the last 2. I've been in a foul mood lately!

So, big changes for me for '23. I have a job interview incoming! I QUIT auto and small engine repair! At least for a living. Not really quit 100%, though - I'll be perpetually wrenching on my own stuff, since I'll never pay for what I can do on my own. Every year, cars and trucks get more and more infuriating to do the simplest jobs on. Tooling is as expensive as ever. Shipping of parts is hit or miss on the best of days, and parts quality is straight in the toilet, which often makes ME look bad! Tired of it, so I decided to make some changes. The repair thing will be a side gig from here on out, and I will NITPICK on which jobs I'll take on. They will be SMALL and STRESS FREE. Not worth the stress to me anymore. Besides all of that, I don't seem to be getting any younger, and with ZERO put away for retirement at age 49, I figure I'd better get started on that now, IF will ever be able to fully retire (I'm not so optimistic on that one). Company has an EXCELLENT 401k, which along with real healthcare and dental was a big driver in my decision. I'll be doing maintenance for a huge company in the city on several buildings they own. Guess they've got some gigantic, old oil boilers in the dungeon there where I'll be hanging out, so I may have some pics of that in the future.

Lots have changed since I filled out a job application 20 years ago! "Gender identity" was a new one for me on the application! :o

So far I've narrowly averted 3 potential outfires. The latest one was last week. I had got used to topping off my barrel / coal bin every week. Well, after a few days in the single digits with deep negative wind chills, I had chewed through the same amount in 3.5 days flat. Got to see my auger! Caught it just in time, since the auger was still feeding some scraps from the bottom.

Just a few days after the negative wind chills, we had 62° out, which turned my driveway into a mud bog! Gotta love MA weather ...

Still haven't got our Volvo winter beater fixed after the icy fender bender over 3 weeks ago. Insurance companies SUCK today!! They've always sucked, but today they're worse than EVER.

I also managed to get into a fender bender of my own! Was on my own property ... with my plow truck and my buddy's daughters dead Saturn! I was trying to tow it up the hill when I got stuck, my parking brake cable snapped near where I welded it back together a few years ago, and I dropped the plow and attempted to get out. I took 3 steps and the truck took off backwards, then hit the 5" of ice in the driveway! Stupid thing! Didn't do much to the Saturn, but it caved the rusty side of my bed in on the plow truck. That's what the truck is for, so no harm, no foul! Welded the cable back together, & she's back in action!

Anyway, everyone have a Happy, Healthy, Prosperous 2023!
IMG_7451.jpeg
.JPEG | 300.6KB | IMG_7451.jpeg
IMG_7461.jpeg
.JPEG | 639.6KB | IMG_7461.jpeg
IMG_7484.jpeg
.JPEG | 297.1KB | IMG_7484.jpeg
IMG_7464.jpeg
.JPEG | 828.4KB | IMG_7464.jpeg
IMG_7465.jpeg
.JPEG | 477.8KB | IMG_7465.jpeg

StokerDon
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Gentleman Janitor GJ-5, Van Wert VA-600, Axeman Anderson130 X3.
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Harman SF3500 reduced down to 3 grates connected to its own plenum
Coal Size/Type: Rice, Chestnut and whatever will fit through the door on the Harman
Other Heating: Noth'in but COAL! Well, Maybe a little tiny bit of wood

Post by StokerDon » Tue. Jan. 03, 2023 7:58 am

SMITTY wrote:
Mon. Jan. 02, 2023 10:36 pm
I don't seem to be getting any younger, and with ZERO put away for retirement
Your not alone Smitty. Thats right about the age I started saving for retirement. I'll be lucky if I can retire by 70! :lol:

Auger feed coal boilers are the way to go but, you do still have to feed them. :lol:
Good luck on your new job!
-Don

freetown fred

Post by freetown fred » Tue. Jan. 03, 2023 9:19 am

So, big changes for me for '23. I have a job interview incoming! I QUIT auto and small engine repair! At least for a living. Not really quit 100%, though - I'll be perpetually wrenching on my own stuff, since I'll never pay for what I can do on my own.
Jon, my personal wrench up here had to do the same thing---gave up wrenchin full time--got a job with his local Town highway dept. Tough decision but he's glad he did it--let someone else write them thar paychecks. ;)

Hambden Bob
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Harman 1998 Magnum Stoker
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Blower Model Coal Chubby 1982-Serial#0097
Coal Size/Type: Rice-A-Roni ! / Nut
Other Heating: Pro-Pain Forced Air

Post by Hambden Bob » Thu. Jan. 05, 2023 7:32 pm

Holy Cats..!! Miss a few days,miss alot..!! For Openers,Zig,We're Sorry To Hear How This Went.. I understand completely what You said,as they were "Words Of Grace And Compassion",My Friend.. We'll take You into Freddy's,get You dusted off,and get You a Hot Cup O'Joe to get started. Oh,You'll be going Home with a little "Care Package Of Our Best" to "Celebrate Dad's Life".. Count On It,Mister...
Smitt's,I'm Floored.. You will always be the "Jimmy Wildman Master Of GM Garbage" to me... I understand exactly what You're doing & why.... Good Luck,My Ultra-Mechanical Wildman Friend..!!
Last but not least,a "Heartfelt Thank You" from Miss Julie & I.. We're Humbled,but not surprised at just how All Of You From Freddy's have treated Us....
Keep Shoveling,Gang..!! If We Don't,Then Just Who Will..??

SMITTY
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520 Highboy
Coal Size/Type: Rice / Blaschak anthracite
Other Heating: Oil fired Burnham boiler

Post by SMITTY » Thu. Jan. 05, 2023 11:19 pm

Thanks, Bob! I'm a bonehead! I had meant to say HAPPY 34TH ANNIVERSARY to you, but got caught up in my own selfish rant! SO ... HAPPY 34th to you and Julie! :yes:

Thanks Don & Fred, too. Will be nice going to work and not having to pay for anything I'm using, nor worry about how to. :D

Hambden Bob
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Harman 1998 Magnum Stoker
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Blower Model Coal Chubby 1982-Serial#0097
Coal Size/Type: Rice-A-Roni ! / Nut
Other Heating: Pro-Pain Forced Air

Post by Hambden Bob » Fri. Jan. 06, 2023 8:00 am

Smitt's Von Smitt's,Never A Problem..!! The way I see Freddy's works exactly like this:"While We may not type/talk to each other for 10 years,We All know just how it stands" I've been amazed at the "High Quality Fine Folks" that I've been privileged to meet and know here.. No Bull..!! It's why Freddy's Coffee House Lives..!!

freetown fred

Post by freetown fred » Fri. Jan. 06, 2023 11:27 am

I'm gonna give all that a BIG +1 ;)

ASea
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska Kast Console II
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Coal Chubby
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114, Glenwood 30 "Estate" Warm Morning 120
Coal Size/Type: Sherman Anthracite Nut/Stove from C&T Coal
Other Heating: Peerless Boiler with Cast Iron Baseboards

Post by ASea » Sun. Jan. 08, 2023 1:30 pm

Smitty, find yourself a really good financial adviser. Also if you can find a State or Municipal gig you get vested in ten years and qualify for 50% at twenty years. All while socking away additional funds in the smart plan. If you can work on trucks many Police and Fire Depts are looking for Master Mechanics. I wish you all the best in the New Year.

davidmcbeth3
Coal Size/Type: nut/pea/anthra

Post by davidmcbeth3 » Sun. Jan. 08, 2023 2:01 pm

SMITTY wrote:
Mon. Jan. 02, 2023 10:36 pm

Lots have changed since I filled out a job application 20 years ago! "Gender identity" was a new one for me on the application! :o
Smitty provided the answer of "nut and sometimes pea" in gender id section ?

Return to “The Coffee House”