Freddy's Coffehouse-3Dec2022

Hambden Bob
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Harman 1998 Magnum Stoker
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Blower Model Coal Chubby 1982-Serial#0097
Coal Size/Type: Rice-A-Roni ! / Nut
Other Heating: Pro-Pain Forced Air

Post by Hambden Bob » Sat. Dec. 03, 2022 4:46 am

Greetings & Wind Blown Cheer! You've All made it to December!
Seems like that "Rotten Witch Named Gale" dropped in on the overnight! Definitely not what We needed,to say the least..!! Past All of that,sit on down & make yourself comfortable.... Time for Pre Christmas Madness to be left outside! Take Care,Gang!!

D-frost
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman MK ll
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Yukon Eagle I (multi-fuel oil, wood/coal)
Baseburners & Antiques: Herald 'fireside oak'
Coal Size/Type: nut/stove-Blaschak/Lehigh

Post by D-frost » Sat. Dec. 03, 2022 5:59 am

Mornin'
Good hot coffee at Freddy's on a Saturday mornin'.........thank you, HB. The turkey left-overs have disappeared.......time to relax....and get ready for the next gala event.......Christmas, hurray!!!!! With the 'roller-coaster' temps, we're saving some coal, but I expect that will change in the not-to-distant future.
Have a great week-end, guys /gals,and, stay healthy!
Cheers

waytomany?s
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harmon Mark II
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Looking
Baseburners & Antiques: Looking
Coal Size/Type: Nut
Other Heating: newmac wood/coal combo furnace

Post by waytomany?s » Sat. Dec. 03, 2022 7:48 am

Your not kidding HB, Gale for sure. I was going to go hunting, but I don't have any windproof florescent floatees. I have been burning coal shoulder seasons and this is my longest run yet with the temps the way they have been. According to the 10 day forecast, I may still have another week or so to go. Bundle up and hold on to something strong if you head out today.

StokerDon
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Gentleman Janitor GJ-5, Van Wert VA-600, Axeman Anderson130 X3.
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Harman SF3500 reduced down to 3 grates connected to its own plenum
Coal Size/Type: Rice, Chestnut and whatever will fit through the door on the Harman
Other Heating: Noth'in but COAL! Well, Maybe a little tiny bit of wood

Post by StokerDon » Sat. Dec. 03, 2022 8:44 am

Morning All!

Gale hasn't made it down here yet. We've got rain now, then later this afternoon Gale should blow the rain out'a here.

Gonna be completing a few jobs on the restored Axeman project today. The plan is to get it fired up next weekend.

Have a good weekend everybody!
-Don

warminmn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Junior, Riteway 37
Coal Size/Type: nut and stove anthracite, lignite
Other Heating: Wood and wear a wool shirt

Post by warminmn » Sat. Dec. 03, 2022 9:13 am

I had that wind last night but its let up some. Perhaps it moved your way. But it left it quite cold so here I sit by my wood stove. i think I'll sit right here! Maybe I'll watch some of the soccer game. Thats it for excitement here today. have a good one!

ASea
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska Kast Console II
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Coal Chubby
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114, Glenwood 30 "Estate" Warm Morning 120
Coal Size/Type: Sherman Anthracite Nut/Stove from C&T Coal
Other Heating: Peerless Boiler with Cast Iron Baseboards

Post by ASea » Sat. Dec. 03, 2022 9:28 am

Just had breakfast sandwiches made by the wife and fresh perc'd coffee. Chubby is chugging along very nicely keeping the house nice and warm. Slowly watching the damper open a little more as the weeks go by. Though it isn't technically winter yet, it's been getting into the teens and twenties at night here in North Central Ma. Winter makes for lots of chimney fires and lousy firefighting conditions so keep those flues and stoves clean. Our number one culprit is currently pellet stoves and old timers who smolder wood in old stoves and don't clean their chimney. Thankfully us coal burners don't have to deal with these issues. Everyone in the house is getting over RSV/Flue it's been a long couple weeks. My four week old spent some time in Boston Children's Hospital. Glad She's improving. We are fortunate to have some of the best hospitals in the world within an hour of our house. Garden catologs are coming in, it'll be time to plan gardens and projects for the upcoming spring summer. Nothing like looking at seed catologs during a Nor'easter. I keep thinking I'd like to raise a few feeder pigs, the wife disagrees. My Glenwood Modern Oak 114 is still sitting in the entry. It really looks nice there. LOL! I need to bring that up to Lapan's Stoves along with the Oak 30 in my garage. Not sure how I want to proceed there as I'm gonna have to remodel my hearth to meet code. Have a good day! Stay out of the wind and rain.

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Sat. Dec. 03, 2022 9:33 am

Good morning. The wind has been roaring here since Wednesday. Most of the porch furniture blew away the first day, so at least that is out of the way.

Our house has been on lockdown all week for sickness. My boys both got a stomach bug early in the week, I tested positive for COVID on Tuesday, and my wife has what appears to be the flu. The boys have rebounded, but momma and I are still feeling pretty rough.

I am low on coal and down to my last ash tub, so I hope the wind dies down tomorrow and I feel well enough to do some chores.

ASea
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114, Glenwood 30 "Estate" Warm Morning 120

Post by ASea » Sat. Dec. 03, 2022 9:33 am

StokerDon wrote:
Sat. Dec. 03, 2022 8:44 am
Morning All!

Gonna be completing a few jobs on the restored Axeman project today. The plan is to get it fired up next weekend.

Have a good weekend everybody!
-Don
Hey Don,

What's the difference between one of the early AA and a brand new AA 130 boiler? Instrumentation? Those and the Coal Guns seem to be the most simple and rugged of the stokers.
Last edited by ASea on Sat. Dec. 03, 2022 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

ASea

Post by ASea » Sat. Dec. 03, 2022 9:38 am

Rob R. wrote:
Sat. Dec. 03, 2022 9:33 am

Our house has been on lockdown all week for sickness. My boys both got a stomach bug early in the week, I tested positive for COVID on Tuesday, and my wife has what appears to be the flu. The boys have rebounded, but momma and I are still feeling pretty rough.
I feel your pain! Emergen-C and Vicks really seemed to help when I had Covid. I don't ever remember being so tired! Wish I was closer I'd offer to run over and do a few chores for you.

SMITTY
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520 Highboy
Coal Size/Type: Rice / Blaschak anthracite
Other Heating: Oil fired Burnham boiler

Post by SMITTY » Sat. Dec. 03, 2022 10:35 am

Mornin' fellers! Yep, that monsooooon-like wind hit early this AM. I went to bed it was 36° - woke up and it was 52°! Typical New England roller coaster this time of year. Yesterday morning it was 26°. Boiler handles it ALL like a champ! I think I'm in love. :lol:

Had a rare visitor to the compound yesterday! CoalHeat made an appearance, and picked up a bunch of things I sold him a little over a year ago, lol. We might be related, since we both love putting things off for as long as possible. :D He says my basement is MUCH smaller than it looks in the pics! :lol: He looked amazed at the whole operation. :P

Yeah, definitely something going around. My wife came home a few weeks back hacking and nose-blowing ... then of course transferred that to me. I didn't get it as bad as her, though. I had a little nose-blowing for 3 days or so, not much coughing, and it was gone. I've got another issue I think that's from that, but nobody needs to be gagging on their coffee this AM, lolol.

Nice work on the Axeman 130 swap, Don. You've got a pile of them things there! How's the Porsche with the LS doing? I got super busy and missed your last several videos on that.

Sorry to hear about your little daughter, ASea. Glad she's ok. I can't imagine what I put my parent's through with all my asthma and allergy attacks when I was that age, all the way up into my teens. I won the genetic lottery, lol. Short, crooked teeth, and all kinds of ailments! :D

Was just thinking - it's hard to believe I've been on this here forum for 17 years now! Crazy how fast time flies!!

Not much happening in the shop this week. Just another car stuck on my lift, waiting for parts. If I could get paid for waiting, I'd be a friggin millionaire ...

A pic of CoalHeat's full load in his gorgeous late 90's F-250:
IMG_7285.jpeg
.JPEG | 995.2KB | IMG_7285.jpeg

Gian4

Post by Gian4 » Sat. Dec. 03, 2022 2:48 pm

Hi all
Yep....I had that resp. bug took two wks to get over it. Covid negative 2x on the home test so who knows. Wife just came down with it last night. Hope she has the short version.
Stay healthy all
Gian4

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Sat. Dec. 03, 2022 7:50 pm

ASea wrote:
Sat. Dec. 03, 2022 9:38 am
I feel your pain! Emergen-C and Vicks really seemed to help when I had Covid. I don't ever remember being so tired! Wish I was closer I'd offer to run over and do a few chores for you.
I drove over to dads and got loaded with coal, came home and parked the truck, emptied one ash tub and I was exhausted.

BunkerdCaddis
Stoker Coal Boiler: Bairmatic-Van Wert
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Van Wert VW85H
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Saey Hanover II working when I feel the desire, Waterford 105 out on vacation, Surdiac Gotha hiding somewhere
Coal Size/Type: pea/nut/rice/stove-anthracite, nut/stove bit when I feel the urge
Other Heating: oil fired hydronic

Post by BunkerdCaddis » Sat. Dec. 03, 2022 10:45 pm

Rob R. wrote:
Sat. Dec. 03, 2022 7:50 pm
I drove over to dads and got loaded with coal, came home and parked the truck, emptied one ash tub and I was exhausted.
I had the omicron variant back in August and yeah pretty much just dead tired, be laying down and think "Oh I gotta do something", get up and walk to the kitchen and be like " what the hell am I doing here" and back to bed I go... had the delta version November a year ago and it messed up my sense of taste and smell so bad, meat just smelled sickening. Wife and I were canning some ground beef this morning and suddenly I realized I could actually smell it like hamburger really smells like. I was so happy I ate a small bowl of it just with a little salt for breakfast. :D

I sure hope you get over it quickly, if I ever had the chance to get my hands on the idiots that invented it...

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Sun. Dec. 04, 2022 6:01 pm

Busy, busy week-end-- beautiful day today-- would ya believe I'm to tired to type!!!! Later.

Keepaeyeonit
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood #8
Coal Size/Type: Nut & stove
Other Heating: 49 year old oil furnace, and finally a new heat pump

Post by Keepaeyeonit » Tue. Dec. 06, 2022 10:53 am

Good Tuesday morning friends, thanks again HB! Just sitting here doing my thing at work and catching up on the Coffee House gossip 🤣, nice to see you Smitty I see broken *censored* is still finding you😁 ya I know it never ends.
Enjoyed a great camping weekend with some good people, food, and drinks, Here is the a picture I took Sunday of the sunrise on a nice 17° morning
AEFE1951-09D1-4D3F-9748-53664DFED98F.jpeg
.JPEG | 1.9MB | AEFE1951-09D1-4D3F-9748-53664DFED98F.jpeg
This weekend coming up is our last trip of the 2022 season but we were talking about doing a January trip and have 4 booked for next year already, had a good season with 34 trips in 4 states, and 92 nights for 2022, not bad for not being full timers.
Have a great week and enjoy 😉

Return to “The Coffee House”