Freddy's Thanksgiving Week Coffee House 19Nov2022

Hambden Bob
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Harman 1998 Magnum Stoker
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Blower Model Coal Chubby 1982-Serial#0097
Coal Size/Type: Rice-A-Roni ! / Nut
Other Heating: Pro-Pain Forced Air

Post by Hambden Bob » Sat. Nov. 19, 2022 5:36 am

Top Of Da' Morning To All Of You Burgeoning "Connoisseurs Of Der' Bird"!! That's right,We're kicking off that Spanker known as "Thanksgiving Week"!! I do realize that it's hard to believe that it's this Thursday!! In Honor of the Impending Event,We're firing off on all burners,and preparing to bring You Our Very Best! Ol' Freetown Fred has gotten Us some hand-made Pilgrim Costumes to put Us Laborer's into the appropriate Thanksgiving Mood. It aint' pretty in here right now,to say Da' Least! All that "Boof" being said,We're doing a "Great Lakes Lake Effect Special" in sympathy to All the Communities getting whacked by the snow... Waffles seemed right,so We've taken the time to hand chop this year's Walnuts,Pecans and for You "Exotic Hawaiian Types",Macadamia Nuts..!! Along with Our usual Breakfast Meats,We're going to give about 20lbs of Turkey Bacon a Trial Run by request. It goes without saying that the "Ye' Olde Merry Woolrich Sock" will see non-stop "Combat Coffee Action" the entire Weekend long! In the Finest Traditions of Our "Favorite Founder,Mentor And Mainah', Freddy",We'll be open extended hours to accomodate Any and All Fine Folks who "Just Aint' Feelin' It" this year!! We've got Your Back,and You sure as Hell won't be Lonely,Bummed Out Nor Disturbed after punching out some "Old School Quality Time With Us... As Always,I do believe Ol' Freddy taught Us to "Hug Your Loved Ones,And Forward We Go"!! Make It Right,Gang!!🎯☕🌅👍💝😎

D-frost
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman MK ll
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Yukon Eagle I (multi-fuel oil, wood/coal)
Baseburners & Antiques: Herald 'fireside oak'
Coal Size/Type: nut/stove-Blaschak/Lehigh

Post by D-frost » Sat. Nov. 19, 2022 7:14 am

Mornin'
Thanksgiving week in front of us......my, oh my, how time does fly!!!!!! Thank you for the great coffee, HB......I'm gonna have a pumpkin muffin with mine......yum, then see what else I can find.
With the cold temps movin' in, I loaded the Harman with some Lehigh stove coal........we be nice and warm with a constant 70* now. Surprised me how well it burned wood....good heater.
Have a good week, guys/gals.....stay warm and healthy.
Cheers

coalkirk
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1981 EFM DF520 retired
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Jotul 507 on standby
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh anthracite/rice coal

Post by coalkirk » Sat. Nov. 19, 2022 7:34 am

Morning all. Haven’t stopped by the coffee house in quite some time. No snow here in the tropics of northern Maryland but 24 degrees here this am. Even though my beloved EFM520 now lives in someone else’s home we’re nice and toasty here. Propane boiler doing a fine job. So I didn’t make a rare appearance here today to talk about propane. On November 2nd I was diagnosed with throat cancer spread to my lymph glands and advanced to stage lll, nonoperable. So in a week or so I’ll be starting 7 weeks of chemo and radiation therapy. I did get a second opinion. He said I was ugly too. One doc said the treatment for this cancer is a “bear” and another doc said it is “arduous.” That’s because of where it is located on the base of my tongue in my throat. So it sounds like it is going to be a SOB. I’m told this tumor typically responds well to treatment so there may be a chance for some good quality life on the other side of the hell I'm about to endure. If anyone has relevant experience with throat cancer I would be interested to hear from you. Cheers!

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Sat. Nov. 19, 2022 7:59 am

Good morning everyone. It is 30 degrees and still snow covered in Chazy, but nothing like that lake effect stuff out in Western NY. I have a few hockey games on the schedule for the weekend, but nothing we can't handle. I need to go make a shopping list for the coal boiler install at my friends house, hopefully we can get that install going before it gets too cold.
coalkirk wrote:
Sat. Nov. 19, 2022 7:34 am
So I didn’t make a rare appearance here today to talk about propane. On November 2nd I was diagnosed with throat cancer spread to my lymph glands and advanced to stage lll, nonoperable. So in a week or so I’ll be starting 7 weeks of chemo and radiation therapy.
I am very sorry to hear that. It sounds very similar to what a man I know had to deal with. His throat cancer responded very well to treatment and he has been in remission for two years. Hopefully you have similar results! Stop once in a while and let us know how it is going.

WNY
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90K, Leisure Line Hyfire I
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by WNY » Sat. Nov. 19, 2022 8:17 am

Morning all. Coffee nice and hot! thx.
We only have about 4" or so down in the Southern Tier of Western NY. Buffalo on the other hand in some areas have 4 feet and another foot expected last night! Wow. Travel bans in many areas. Both stoves just humming along, waiting on coal delivery hopefully this week. Bin is almost empty, my supplier been swamped and a little slow, LOL. called a month ago to get on the list. keep calling to them to find out when I'll get my delivery.

Stay warm.

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Sat. Nov. 19, 2022 8:21 am

Mornin all--22' here on the hill. At least I don't live in Buffalo~~~ 4' yesterday of the white stuff. Not much goin on here, Thanx for openin up HB. :) Keep us posted Terry. Prayers headed your way my friend. ;)

warminmn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Junior, Riteway 37
Coal Size/Type: nut and stove anthracite, lignite
Other Heating: Wood and wear a wool shirt

Post by warminmn » Sat. Nov. 19, 2022 8:26 am

Im sorry to hear the news Coalkirk. I also know 3 people who responded well to chemo from throat cancer in my life. Hang in there!

My pilgrim suit fits a little high on my legs, but my legs are long and lean so maybe it will get me a date! It will give me a chance to show off all the cuts and bruises from cutting wood also....

Turkey bacon sounds great! I filtered my Mt Dew thru a wool sock for some added holiday taste. Too cold and windy to do anything outside anyway. Have a great holiday week everyone!

StokerDon
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Gentleman Janitor GJ-5, Van Wert VA-600, Axeman Anderson130 X3.
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Harman SF3500 reduced down to 3 grates connected to its own plenum
Coal Size/Type: Rice, Chestnut and whatever will fit through the door on the Harman
Other Heating: Noth'in but COAL! Well, Maybe a little tiny bit of wood

Post by StokerDon » Sat. Nov. 19, 2022 8:45 am

GOBBLE GOBBLE ALL!

Pretty cold down here this week. It's actually cold enough that I fired up the Harman furnace for the weekend!

Gonna try to get over to see BunkerdCaddis today to drop off some Van Wert parts and get a look at the BairMatic - Van Wert install.
The Bairmatic - Van Wert Project Boiler Saga Continues

Tomorrow I'm off to see the Axeman Heats wood boiler project to do some accessory wiring.
Axeman 130 Heats Wood Boiler
coalkirk wrote:
Sat. Nov. 19, 2022 7:34 am
On November 2nd I was diagnosed with throat cancer
Terry, I'm very sorry to hear that. I pray that the treatment goes well.

-Don

theo

Post by theo » Sat. Nov. 19, 2022 11:05 am

Wishing you the best Coalkirk, everything will be good! And also Happy Thanksgiving to you and all the family! :yes:

Gian4

Post by Gian4 » Sat. Nov. 19, 2022 12:08 pm

Hi all
Haven't posted but I have been lurking. Glad to see the usual suspects are all onboard. With the price of coal this year they truly are black diamonds. Still cheaper then heating oil. Put my motorcycles to bed and woke up the snowblowers on Monday. Had a dusting of snow in CNY but nothing like Buffalo. Fred it's good to see your on top of things taking names and kicking ass.
Coalkirk my brother in law had the same problem. He had surgery, radiation and chemo. The radiation caused a loss of taste and a wicked sore throat. Also he had to work with his dentist to minimize secondary dental issues from the radiation. It took a while but he came through it and is doing well. That was 5 years ago. I'll pray for your full recovery. Best of luck my friend.
You all have a safe and happy Thanksgiving.
Gian4

ASea
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska Kast Console II
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Coal Chubby
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114, Glenwood 30 "Estate" Warm Morning 120
Coal Size/Type: Sherman Anthracite Nut/Stove from C&T Coal
Other Heating: Peerless Boiler with Cast Iron Baseboards

Post by ASea » Sat. Nov. 19, 2022 3:12 pm

Prayers for a Swift recovery coalkirk! Been in the teens here in North Central Massachusetts at night. Lots of flurries but no serious snowfall,YET! Got a new Ariens last year, so I'm ready.Chubby has been chugging along on some nice twelve hour burns. Coal has gone up,but it's still less than the cost of a single barrel of oil to heat my place. For that I am grateful. Fortunate to have Thanksgiving off this year. Wednesday I'll help my wife do some baking, apple,pumpking, and pork pies. A friend of mine raised a Turkey for us. Curious to see how big a bird we got. Last year we had a 36lb Tom! Delicious! Happy Thanksgiving! and God Bless!

wilder11354
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Harman SF260 Boiler
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93
Coal Size/Type: nut or pea, anthracite
Other Heating: crown oil boiler, backup.if needed

Post by wilder11354 » Sat. Nov. 19, 2022 5:28 pm

Been a long time since i posted anywhere's here on forum. Coal burner no more in 3.5 years. Electric heat in apartment. I do miss the routine of coal and steady eddy heat, for hours at end. Sleepy joe and potatoe hoe are killing this country , agree. long before Putin invasion. republican or democrat party..... time to stop being 1st graders or who's better, and realize what this country needs are.. Off my soap box now. Good holidays to everyone in next 2 months.

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Sat. Nov. 19, 2022 5:34 pm

Yep, it has been long time ya young woodpecker!!! :)

snuffy
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman SF250 & Mark III backup
Other Heating: Oil Hot Water

Post by snuffy » Sat. Nov. 19, 2022 7:32 pm

Good luck, Blessings, and Prayers to you and your family Coalkirk.

Keep your head up and positive for there is good news on T-cell mixed with dead tumor cell injections being used post tumor shrinkage. T cells injected into the shrunken tumor were trained to attack and kill remaining and spread cells according to an article in Medscape "Novel Vaccine Approach Halts Disease After 23 Years of Breast Cancer"

P.S. I'm sure your Medico's mentioned that while taking chemo avoid, using metal utensils as certain chemo's use heavy metals and cause an unpleasant electrochemical taste reaction. Use plastic utensils instead. Good luck and God Bless!

Freddy
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 130 (pea)
Coal Size/Type: Pea size, Superior, deep mined

Post by Freddy » Sat. Nov. 19, 2022 9:16 pm

Sorry to hear of the cancer Coalkirk. We've got you covered with hope, prayers & thoughts of a good outcome. Today technology goes a long way to helping squelch this cancer. Try to compartmentalize the difficulty & find a smile each day.

This week is showing us a glimpse of winter. A bit of snow, and now nighttime lows of 20ish & only 40 during the day. Brrrrr I've got the snow blower on the John Deere.... bring it on!

Happy Thanksgiving week! We are planning on a bit of family, a few friends, and a near stranger to be around the table this year.

Love to you all!

Return to “The Coffee House”