Freddy's Coffee House 24Sept2022 "The Whoopie's Done Run Dry Edition"!!

Queen of Sweden
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood K with gas sidecar
Coal Size/Type: nut
Other Heating: Vermont Castings Encore woodstove, Ravelli pellet stove, Rinnai propane

Post by Queen of Sweden » Tue. Sep. 27, 2022 12:45 pm

That's a lot of great work you've done canning your harvest!!! I freeze my cream style corn every year. Used the green cabbage from my garden to make sauerkraut for the first time. My version was made in quart canning jars and included apples and caraway seeds. I should have let it ferment longer but it was a very hot spell and I didn't want to let it go too long and ruin the batch. So next year I won't be so timid. I made cowboy candy from my Jalapenos and also pickled turnip with a beet added. I'm freezing small batches of tomato sauce until I have enough to can a batch of quarts. Thanks for your post!!!!

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Tue. Sep. 27, 2022 3:13 pm

Sounds like you're set for a while Q------------ :)

lincolnmania
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 350
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: reading allegheny stoker
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: alaska kodiak stoker 1986. 1987 triburner, 1987 crane diamond
Coal Size/Type: rice

Post by lincolnmania » Tue. Sep. 27, 2022 10:24 pm

Queen of Sweden wrote:
Tue. Sep. 27, 2022 12:45 pm
That's a lot of great work you've done canning your harvest!!! I freeze my cream style corn every year. Used the green cabbage from my garden to make sauerkraut for the first time. My version was made in quart canning jars and included apples and caraway seeds. I should have let it ferment longer but it was a very hot spell and I didn't want to let it go too long and ruin the batch. So next year I won't be so timid. I made cowboy candy from my Jalapenos and also pickled turnip with a beet added. I'm freezing small batches of tomato sauce until I have enough to can a batch of quarts. Thanks for your post!!!!
I made sauerkraut for the first time by myself last year and it kept for months. i just threw away the last of it and cleaned out the crock and made more. Made it in quart jars and in a crock. the crock stuff came out so much better! using my fermenting lids this year for pickles. Making two crocks this year and am going to keep one in the crock and can the other crock when it's ready and give it as gifts. I want to make cowboy candy. We made about 30 pints of salsa and 20 quarts of garden tomatoes and 12 quarts of sauce. I was out in my garden today and i found a radish the size of a tennis ball lol.

hank2
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine 1400 WH ciculator; 1880's small cannon in reserve
Coal Size/Type: Nut
Other Heating: small New Yorker oil fired boiler; mostly used for domestic HW

Post by hank2 » Tue. Sep. 27, 2022 11:13 pm

lincolnmania wrote:
Tue. Sep. 27, 2022 10:24 pm
I made sauerkraut for the first time by myself last year and it kept for months. i just threw away the last of it and cleaned out the crock and made more. Made it in quart jars and in a crock. the crock stuff came out so much better! using my fermenting lids this year for pickles. Making two crocks this year and am going to keep one in the crock and can the other crock when it's ready and give it as gifts. I want to make cowboy candy. We made about 30 pints of salsa and 20 quarts of garden tomatoes and 12 quarts of sauce. I was out in my garden today and i found a radish the size of a tennis ball lol.
lincoln, all you and your mom's work looks terrific! Many decades ago, my mom and grandmom used to can all sorts of things. Grandmom even canned some things like grape juice concentrate and mince meat. Meat is supposed to be no-no but she never killed anyone. 30-40 years ago, I used to do peaches and frozen sweet corn. The corn was excellent over the winter. That homemade kraut is going to be killa!

Queen of Sweden
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood K with gas sidecar
Coal Size/Type: nut
Other Heating: Vermont Castings Encore woodstove, Ravelli pellet stove, Rinnai propane

Post by Queen of Sweden » Wed. Sep. 28, 2022 8:59 am

lincolnmania wrote:
Tue. Sep. 27, 2022 10:24 pm
My goodness that's a lot of tomatoes!!!! How many plants did you have and I'm curious what variety. I'm zone 5 so have a shorter growing season so I grow Granaderos for sauce, beefsteak for slicing/eating and some cherry tomatoes to dehydrate. I had a bumper crop of horn worms so will plant more basil. Lots of green tomatoes I'll need to harvest and let ripen inside. Yes there always seem to be at least one veggie that gets away from us...usually its a zucchini.

lincolnmania
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 350
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: reading allegheny stoker
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: alaska kodiak stoker 1986. 1987 triburner, 1987 crane diamond
Coal Size/Type: rice

Post by lincolnmania » Wed. Sep. 28, 2022 10:51 am

Queen of Sweden wrote:
Wed. Sep. 28, 2022 8:59 am
My goodness that's a lot of tomatoes!!!! How many plants did you have and I'm curious what variety. I'm zone 5 so have a shorter growing season so I grow Granaderos for sauce, beefsteak for slicing/eating and some cherry tomatoes to dehydrate. I had a bumper crop of horn worms so will plant more basil. Lots of green tomatoes I'll need to harvest and let ripen inside. Yes there always seem to be at least one veggie that gets away from us...usually its a zucchini.
Started my seedlings in the garage windowsills. had over 100 plants, only was able to give about 20 away. Cherokee Purple, Crimson cushion and some mystery seeds from a Christian charity (little round tomatoes) Zucchini did not do well here this year. I even planted a second planting and so far only got 2 zucchini from 6 plants. the cucumbers got blight too. Bought the pickling cucumbers for the canning, spent about 20 bucks and got dozens of pints of bread and butter pickles and 7 quarts of dill pickle spears. I picked about 20 eggplant yesterday lol.

Hambden Bob
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Harman 1998 Magnum Stoker
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Blower Model Coal Chubby 1982-Serial#0097
Coal Size/Type: Rice-A-Roni ! / Nut
Other Heating: Pro-Pain Forced Air

Post by Hambden Bob » Thu. Sep. 29, 2022 3:28 pm

Linc,You've Surely Turned This Into A True "Fall Harvest Coffee House Extravaganza"!! For That,I Thank Ya'!!🎯👍😎

Return to “The Coffee House”