Freddy's Coffee House 9July2022

Hambden Bob
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Harman 1998 Magnum Stoker
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Blower Model Coal Chubby 1982-Serial#0097
Coal Size/Type: Rice-A-Roni ! / Nut
Other Heating: Pro-Pain Forced Air

Post by Hambden Bob » Sat. Jul. 09, 2022 6:20 am

Good Saturday Morning,Gang! Freddy's Is Hopping! While it's a Coalburner's off-season,We're all "Full Speed Ahead" here! Bring Your Stories in with Ya'...!

anthony7812
Stoker Coal Boiler: VanWert VA 400
Coal Size/Type: Buck/Anthracite

Post by anthony7812 » Sat. Jul. 09, 2022 6:47 am

Gooooood mooorrrning coalpail! Still wanted to type crossroads haha. It's been wild lately here in Colley. You guys are gonna think I'm completely off the reservation but we put an offer in on a new home. I've kept my eye out for something with acreage for a few years now. The trick is my wife is a tax collector in my township so if we move out of the twp she looses the position. About a week ago a beautiful home with 24 acres hit the market about 15minutes up the road in colley twp. We went and looked at it yesterday and submitted an offer. I was a bit reluctant when I seen wood oil combo furnace. Made me sad to think of loosing the van wert in this market. However when I peered into the firebox what do I see! Beautiful looking shaker grates and the handle lays nicely placed on top of the unit. Wife said she could see my arousal and was disgusted hahaha. It's darn near Lopez, the icebox of Pennsylvania, so I'm sure I'll be posting some crazy cold Temps this winter. Keep cool friends

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Sat. Jul. 09, 2022 7:18 am

Good morning Coalpail. Only 55 in Chazy this morning, but blue skies and no wind. I am headed out in 15 minutes to light the charcoal. My brother and I are on the hook to cook 50 chicken halves for the family reunion.
anthony7812 wrote:
Sat. Jul. 09, 2022 6:47 am
Gooooood mooorrrning coalpail! I was a bit reluctant when I seen wood oil combo furnace. Made me sad to think of loosing the van wert in this market. However when I peered into the firebox what do I see! Beautiful looking shaker grates and the handle lays nicely placed on top of the unit.
I hate to spoil it for you, but once you have run a stoker boiler you will never be happy with that hand-fired unit. If you get the house, I would swap the hand-fed with the Van Wert. Next owners of your house are not likely to be interested in burning coal anyway.

Freddy
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 130 (pea)
Coal Size/Type: Pea size, Superior, deep mined

Post by Freddy » Sat. Jul. 09, 2022 8:10 am

Anthony...Congrats on your 5000th post!

The coffee is good..... new sock?

OK.... crank 'er up & let's get something done!

anthony7812

Post by anthony7812 » Sat. Jul. 09, 2022 8:17 am

Rob, I wish you were right about next owners for my place. My wife's cousin is pre-approved and ready to roll on our house with excitement to use the VW.... it's going/staying? to a loving home haha. Yeah, I'm not thrilled about hot air vs boiler. However central is already installed. 24 acres was the selling point for me. The home is beautiful and sound. Heating system was the only ehhh but was far from any deal breaker.

5000th post , hoorah !! 💪

StokerDon
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Gentleman Janitor GJ-5, Van Wert VA-600, Axeman Anderson130 X3.
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Harman SF3500 reduced down to 3 grates connected to its own plenum
Coal Size/Type: Rice, Chestnut and whatever will fit through the door on the Harman
Other Heating: Noth'in but COAL! Well, Maybe a little tiny bit of wood

Post by StokerDon » Sat. Jul. 09, 2022 8:23 am

Moring all!

Not much going on here today, cool and rainy. I did the mowing and car tinkering yesterday. I guess that means today is laundry day. :what:

Have a good weekend everyone!
-Don

warminmn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Junior, Riteway 37
Coal Size/Type: nut and stove anthracite, lignite
Other Heating: Wood and wear a wool shirt

Post by warminmn » Sat. Jul. 09, 2022 9:04 am

Good luck with the house Anthony!

I had 6" total of rain this week on 3 different days so guess what I'll be doing. Mowing. Yuck. Oh well, at least its not snowing. Today is supposed to be warm and dry, perfect. Maybe I'll have some shooting time also.

Bacon, I see bacon... have a good weekend everyone!

StokerDon
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Gentleman Janitor GJ-5, Van Wert VA-600, Axeman Anderson130 X3.
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Harman SF3500 reduced down to 3 grates connected to its own plenum
Coal Size/Type: Rice, Chestnut and whatever will fit through the door on the Harman
Other Heating: Noth'in but COAL! Well, Maybe a little tiny bit of wood

Post by StokerDon » Sat. Jul. 09, 2022 11:29 am

anthony7812 wrote:
Sat. Jul. 09, 2022 8:17 am
Rob, I wish you were right about next owners for my place. My wife's cousin is pre-approved and ready to roll on our house with excitement to use the VW.... it's going/staying? to a loving home haha. Yeah, I'm not thrilled about hot air vs boiler. However central is already installed. 24 acres was the selling point for me. The home is beautiful and sound. Heating system was the only ehhh but was far from any deal breaker.

It shouldn't be much of a problem to find another Van Wert. 1or 2 heat exchangers in the duct work would be real easy to plumb. You still end up with a hot air system but at least it is Stoker-ized.

You can add DHW later on if you want. Just something to think about. :annoyed:

-Don

Hoytman
Location: swOH near a little town where the homes are mobile and the cars aren’t
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 354
Coal Size/Type: nut coal
Other Heating: electric, wood, oil

Post by Hoytman » Sat. Jul. 09, 2022 12:38 pm

Family reunion…that sounds like fun and grilled chicken sounds great.

Not a lot planned here today. Wouldn’t do me any good anyway. Going to sit around the house with this foot on ice and propped up in the air.

D-frost
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman MK ll
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Yukon Eagle I (multi-fuel oil, wood/coal)
Baseburners & Antiques: Herald 'fireside oak'
Coal Size/Type: nut/stove-Blaschak/Lehigh

Post by D-frost » Sun. Jul. 10, 2022 9:26 am

Mornin'
$$ short and a day late.........Saturday road trip........gorgeous weather this week-end for outdoor events.

Anthony: 24 acres with a nice house sounds real good. Who manufactured the oil/wood combo? If it's a Yukon, it burns wood real good......coal burns good, but fuel mileage is as bad as a 454 cu.in. Chevy!!!!!!!!!
Take care, guys/gals
Cheers

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Sun. Jul. 10, 2022 9:55 am

A, ya know we need pix of the new homestead ! :)

anthony7812 wrote:
Sat. Jul. 09, 2022 8:17 am

anthony7812

Post by anthony7812 » Sun. Jul. 10, 2022 5:42 pm

Just a couple from the front. They accepted the offer and the novel size paperwork has begun. I'll get more posted once we have keys in hand. Still have a few tests/inspections we want before we truly sign the dotted line. It doesn't look it but this is very remote.

Attachments

Freddy
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 130 (pea)
Coal Size/Type: Pea size, Superior, deep mined

Post by Freddy » Mon. Jul. 11, 2022 6:34 am

Anthony, Congrats on the new house! And the acreage.... Sa-weet!

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Mon. Jul. 11, 2022 7:18 am

anthony7812 wrote:
Sun. Jul. 10, 2022 5:42 pm
Just a couple from the front. They accepted the offer and the novel size paperwork has begun. I'll get more posted once we have keys in hand. Still have a few tests/inspections we want before we truly sign the dotted line. It doesn't look it but this is very remote.
Hopefully you have good internet access out there. We would hate to lose you to dial-up. :lol: Get that satellite dish off there - looks like you already have an OTA antenna on the roof.

Is most of the acreage woods?

anthony7812

Post by anthony7812 » Mon. Jul. 11, 2022 8:34 am

22 of the 24 acres are wooded. Then the entire rear of the property is state game lands. When I did the walk through the homeowner uses dsl and direct tv. Without goin through belongings I noticed a ham setup, could be the antenna usage. We have dish and viasat currently due to the local dsl being trash. If I can get a bonded pair for dsl I’ll gladly switch. 2 dsl services is still half price than what I pay for viasat. Gimme a solid 10-12megs I’ll be happy.

Return to “The Coffee House”