Post by grumpy » Mon. Jun. 06, 2022 9:53 pm

grumpy

Post by grumpy » Mon. Jun. 06, 2022 9:58 pm

warminmn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Junior, Efel Nestor Martin, Riteway 37
Coal Size/Type: nut and stove anthracite, lignite
Other Heating: Wood and wear a wool shirt

Post by warminmn » Mon. Jun. 06, 2022 10:39 pm

Thanks Grumpy. The ethanol one Ive been hearing talk on farm radio stations for months. They like the idea for the most part of course. Myself, regardless of what any of us think of ethanol damage to engines (or not), I really have to wonder what little good it will do to save oil because of less mileage and is it really wise to be using more corn for fuel when there could be a food shortage. Raise the price of corn and it raises animal feedlot costs too. Pssing in the wind there.

Ive never been able to make gas taste good to me.... maybe with more ethanol added, lol Maybe it will save 1% of oil use and Im being generous maybe.

Batteries, heck I dont know. I doubt many people will care where their power is coming from when and if their bills triple. It just seems like they are throwing dung at a wall and hoping some of it sticks.

grumpy

Post by grumpy » Mon. Jun. 06, 2022 10:44 pm

More destruction is all.

So who’s good at math, ten gallons at 15%, how much e free gas needs to be added to bring it back down to 10% ?

grumpy

Post by grumpy » Mon. Jun. 06, 2022 10:47 pm

warminmn wrote:
Mon. Jun. 06, 2022 10:39 pm
Thanks Grumpy. The ethanol one Ive been hearing talk on farm radio stations for months. They like the idea for the most part of course. Myself, regardless of what any of us think of ethanol damage to engines (or not), I really have to wonder what little good it will do to save oil because of less mileage and is it really wise to be using more corn for fuel when there could be a food shortage. Raise the price of corn and it raises animal feedlot costs too. Pssing in the wind there.

Ive never been able to make gas taste good to me.... maybe with more ethanol added, lol Maybe it will save 1% of oil use and Im being generous maybe.

Batteries, heck I dont know. I doubt many people will care where their power is coming from when and if their bills triple. It just seems like they are throwing dung at a wall and hoping some of it sticks.
Most new car warranty’s are void over 10%,

warminmn

Post by warminmn » Tue. Jun. 07, 2022 8:03 am

10 gallons of 15% gas... if you added 10 gallons of E free gas to it, it would be 7.5%. So it must be 5 gallons???? added to get it at 10%.

They've been selling E15 here for a while and the normal 10%. E15, theres a year cutoff of the vehicle they recommend using it in.

I did not know about the warranties. Thats interesting.

grumpy

Post by grumpy » Tue. Jun. 07, 2022 9:17 am

Best I could find out is it’s not going to all 15% so doom off, I hope.

grumpy

Post by grumpy » Tue. Jun. 07, 2022 9:22 am

10 gallons of 15% gas... if you added 10 gallons of E free gas to it, it would be 7.5%. So it must be 5 gallons???? added to get it at 10%.
Sounds right, I had smoke coming out of my ears when I asked the question, so if I I had to do that it would put my cost at Apx $85 for 15 gallons of gas.

warminmn

Post by warminmn » Tue. Jun. 07, 2022 9:31 am

Until tomorrow, then it will be $90. It will not be mandatory but many people just fill up with the cheapest gas. But most people drive newer cars so will probably be fine but their mileage might be a little less.

If the pumps arent marked well the numbers and letters of the gas tell us what we are getting. Here, 88 means 15%, 87 means 10%. Unsure about the high octanes as I dont use them Non E gas Ive seen a couple numbers. Of course it could be different elsewhere and I could be living in a vacuum where nothing changes, lol.

grumpy

Post by grumpy » Tue. Jun. 07, 2022 8:56 pm

Ethanol is produced with diesel powered equipment and distilled by burning fossil fuel.

What kind I don’t know.

It’s carbon foot print is as big as alcohol free gas and also it produces fewer BTUs which lowers fuel economy.

You know that I’m sure.

BTUs equal horsepower. 76,000 ethanol vs 114,000 gas

This being the case why the hell is it in our gas……. Rhetorical…

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Tue. Jun. 07, 2022 10:19 pm

Originally, ethanol was one of several additives to "oxygenate" the fuel to help eliminate smog and meet Fed EPA "clean air" standards. First mandated in the cities and then here in NY eventually the whole state.

Some of my antique car customers were keeping track of their fuel milage in log books as part of their maintenance records. After the switch to E10 they were getting about 10% less gas millage.

Then the fuel system problems started. With cars that had the slosh-type gas tank sealers, the alcohol dissolved the sealers into mush that plugged fuel lines, filters, and carburetor jets. Real expensive mess to clean out. Then it attacked the rubber and brass parts in fuel systems. Eventually alcohol resistant tank sealers and rubber parts came along, but the problem with ethanol corroding brass parts still goes on for those unable to get e-free gasoline.

Paul

hank2
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine 1400 WH ciculator; 1880's small cannon in reserve
Coal Size/Type: Nut
Other Heating: small New Yorker oil fired boiler; mostly used for domestic HW

Post by hank2 » Thu. Jun. 09, 2022 12:45 am

All true! The Ethanol production has been proven to not be "green" at all. Some claim every gallon produced consumes 2 gal of oil. Virgin prairie land being plowed to plant more Ethanol corn. Big Ag and the producer's lobby, like Valero, have the politicians by sack. Obama, Trump and Biden. Until about 3-4 years ago, all the EPA emissions and fuel economy testing was done using zero Ethanol fuel. The gov admits to a 4.5% drop in fuel mileage. I've ran many comparisons over the past 20 years and usually got a 10% increase on E0 in local driving.

E85 pumps are very scarce around here, but I'm seeing a lot of E15 pumps, especially at Rutters and Wawa stores. A lot of the Wawa stores have some E0 pumps. They sell 89 PON E0 for $.15/gal less than E10 89. All the others charge way more for E0, sometimes even more than 93 E10. With the EPA gallonage mandates for Ethanol, E15 is going to be everywhere.

Sunny Boy

Post by Sunny Boy » Thu. Jun. 09, 2022 8:02 am

Yup. There are now studies that show E-gas is worse for the environment and also for glo-bull warming.

Yale School of the Environment.
https://e360.yale.edu/features/the_case_against_e ... nvironment

National Acadamy of Science.
https://www.axios.com/local/des-moines/2022/02/16 ... nge-report

Paul

coaledsweat
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260M
Coal Size/Type: Pea

Post by coaledsweat » Thu. Jun. 09, 2022 10:06 am

You can't fix stupid.

Sunny Boy

Post by Sunny Boy » Thu. Jun. 09, 2022 11:40 am

coaledsweat wrote:
Thu. Jun. 09, 2022 10:06 am
You can't fix stupid.
Yup! :baby:

And bring a good book to read while you wait. :lol:

Paul

Return to “The Coffee House”