Times I Almost Bought the Farm

rberq
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine 1300 with hopper
Coal Size/Type: Blaschak Anthracite Nut
Other Heating: Oil hot water radiators (fuel oil); propane

Post by rberq » Fri. Mar. 04, 2022 6:41 pm

We have all done it – we look back and say, “It’s a miracle I lived to grow up.” Miracle or damned good luck, you probably have some good stories. So let’s hear them. I had a quiet childhood, but here are mine, in order by age:

When I was about nine, I stopped on the shoulder of the road straddling my bike. I heard a car coming REALLY fast. He went by me at probably 70-80 miles per hour, and missed me by a whole foot. I’m pretty sure he never saw me at all. It would have been a fashionable demise, because he was driving a classic 1957 Chevy.

My Dad took us deer hunting on a friend’s land. As I recall, I was allowed to carry a single-shot bolt-action .22 but no bullets. Friend’s son Joe was behind me, single file, crossing a field to get to the woods. Joe was carrying a .410 single-shot shotgun, where to cock it you pulled back on a spring-loaded plunger thing. Totally unexpected, a deer appeared on a knoll ahead. Joe -- instant burst of adrenaline -- pulled the plunger to cock his gun, but let go a little too soon, before it locked into place. Heard the slug go whirring past my ear.

I played a lot of golf in my early teens – father and uncle owned a golf course. At high speed and short range, a golf ball sounds a lot like a .410 slug. This one came off the toe of a guy’s club, on the fourth tee as I approached the third green. It passed directly in front of my eyes, but like the ‘57 Chevy it missed by 6 inches or a foot.

Near the end of high school, I went with my best buddy Ed to his family’s camp. We took a small motorboat out into the lake, maybe half a mile. His little sister, about 10, came along. We shut off the motor, and Ed and I jumped overboard for a swim. Little sis pulled the cord, started the motor, and went back to camp. I was not a strong swimmer, but fortunately I had a reasonable side stroke and could float/backstroke. Ed was bigger and stronger, so I didn’t panic because I figured he would help if I got in trouble. But the bastard was not sure he would make it himself, so off he went and thoughtfully waited for me on shore. I saw the sister again after many years, and she had absolutely no memory of her treachery.

So there are the ones that stand out for me. Let’s hear yours!

theo

Post by theo » Fri. Mar. 04, 2022 7:35 pm

You my freind should play the lottery!!!! :yes:

fig
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Harman SF360
Hand Fed Coal Stove: T.O.M (Warm Morning converted to baseburner by Steve) Round Oak 1917 Door model O-3, Warm Morning 400, Warm Morning 524, Warm Morning 414,Florence No.77, Warm Morning 523-b
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Clayton 7.1/DS Machine basement stove/ Harman SF1500
Baseburners & Antiques: Renown Parlor stove 87B
Coal Size/Type: Bituminous/anthracite
Other Heating: Harman Accentra, enviro omega, Vermont Ironworks Elm stove, Quadrafire Mt Vernon, Logwood stove, Sotz barrel stove,

Post by fig » Fri. Mar. 04, 2022 10:12 pm

There isn’t enough internet for me to write mine down. I honestly never believed I would live to be the age I am. I’ve always had the best worst luck in the world.

warminmn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Junior, Efel Nestor Martin, Riteway 37
Coal Size/Type: nut and stove anthracite, lignite
Other Heating: Wood and wear a wool shirt

Post by warminmn » Fri. Mar. 04, 2022 11:27 pm

You havent lived until you've been shot at repeatedly (more than twice) by an angry redhead that wasnt trying to miss! :lol: Not that I held it against her... And Im glad I never taught her how to shoot! :lol:

coalnewbie
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: LL AnthraKing 180K, Pocono110K,KStokr 90K, DVC
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Invader 2
Baseburners & Antiques: Wings Best, Glenwood #8(x2) Herald 116x
Coal Size/Type: Rice,
Other Heating: Heating Oil CH, Toyotomi OM 22

Post by coalnewbie » Sat. Mar. 05, 2022 11:39 am

I did not know that my first wife moved to WI. She was a British girl and luckily we have no guns but she was very excitable.

rberq

Post by rberq » Sat. Mar. 05, 2022 1:38 pm

coalnewbie wrote:
Sat. Mar. 05, 2022 11:39 am
... she was very excitable.
:lol: :lol: Excitable. That's the perfect non-judgmental word! :lol: :lol:
I'm glad we don't keep firearms easily accessible. She would regret it later. I suppose that would be some comfort...

theo

Post by theo » Sat. Mar. 05, 2022 1:48 pm

warminmn wrote:
Fri. Mar. 04, 2022 11:27 pm
You havent lived until you've been shot at repeatedly (more than twice) by an angry redhead that wasnt trying to miss! :lol: Not that I held it against her... And Im glad I never taught her how to shoot! :lol:
That old saying,,,,,,,, When there is rust on the roof there is a,,,,,,,,,, Any truth to that??????

warminmn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Junior, Efel Nestor Martin, Riteway 37
Coal Size/Type: nut and stove anthracite, lignite
Other Heating: Wood and wear a wool shirt

Post by warminmn » Sat. Mar. 05, 2022 3:32 pm

I refuse to answer that one! :lol:

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Sat. Mar. 05, 2022 5:35 pm

I could write a book on this one--BUT-- I'll pass!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL

theo

Post by theo » Sat. Mar. 05, 2022 5:52 pm

warminmn wrote:
Sat. Mar. 05, 2022 3:32 pm
I refuse to answer that one! :lol:
:yes: :yes: :yes:

Hambden Bob
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Harman 1998 Magnum Stoker
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Blower Model Coal Chubby 1982-Serial#0097
Coal Size/Type: Rice-A-Roni ! / Nut
Other Heating: Pro-Pain Forced Air

Post by Hambden Bob » Sun. Mar. 06, 2022 5:39 am

Yep,Aint' Nuthin' Finer Than A "Good Trainwreck" Of A Story,And This Thread Certainly Provides A Few! To The Good Of Personal Thoughts,I'm Quite Buoyed By The Fact That My "Internal Catalogue" Of "Christ,I Damned Near Bought It!" Stories Hasn't Been Very Staining Upon Me! Half Da' Time,If You Reviewed Your "Whoppers" And Left Them Fresh On Your Mental Table,You Wouldn't Leave Da' House Most Days!!🎯🔥🤪👍😎 Thanx For This One,Guys!

waytomany?s
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harmon Mark II
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Looking
Baseburners & Antiques: Looking
Coal Size/Type: Nut
Other Heating: newmac wood/coal combo furnace

Post by waytomany?s » Sun. Mar. 06, 2022 6:36 am

Well, when I was 8, I think, I was sent to check something, can't remember, probably level of the water in the pond, in the back pasture. Just had to watch out for the bull. I did as I was told, go to the fence nearest the pond, wait and look for the bull. Yup, there he was way over yonder. Crawled under the fence and started for the pond, unfortunately forgot about the part about never turn your back on him. The point from where I hear him running at me until I dove back under the fence is gone to time. The scar on my back from the red brand 4 point barbed wire is just a fine line, so my wife says. My eyes aren't good enough to pick it out in the mirror.

rberq

Post by rberq » Sun. Mar. 06, 2022 8:40 am

waytomany?s wrote:
Sun. Mar. 06, 2022 6:36 am
Just had to watch out for the bull.
My mother-in-law grew up in rural England, and this story was probably 90 to 100 years ago now. She and a girlfriend went to visit an old lady. There was a big white cow blocking the footpath, so they gave it a shove. It wandered on a little way, but still blocking the path, so they had to keep shoving it out of the way. They had a nice visit with the old lady. Then when they were leaving, she said, "Now, mind the white bull! He's not to be trusted!"

Return to “The Coffee House”