Anybody have a RV they want to rent this early Spring/Summer?

Richard S.
Mayor
Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert VA1200
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/Anthracite

Post by Richard S. » Tue. Dec. 28, 2021 8:28 am

My cousin has three boys and he's been talking about talking them on a cross country trip for 1 to 2 weeks. At this point I'm just exploring what options there may be. This is the same cousin I used to do the cross country trips with in our early 20's. It would be in the Spring or Summer. Late Spring would be nice but that would be dependent on whether they are in school. Not really sure exactly where we are going and that may not be decided until we get there. We'll take their cell phones off them and give them a paper Rand McNally map (if I can find one) and have them throw darts at it. :lol:

2 adults both with CDL's , both with great driving records and both know how to turn a wrench in case there is minor mechanical issues. Both of us are familiar with using trailer campers, he even has his own but it's pretty big and it sits in one spot all summer. Dragging it halfway across the country is really not an option we care to take especially since neither of us have a really large truck. His three boys are reasonably well behaved. Certainly not angels but they aren't destructive either. In other words it will be in good hands. Both of us will most certainly be looking into insurance for ourselves.

Not sure what kind of mileage but lets say 5K +/-. Minimally we will likely go to Mt. Rushmore and Google tells me that is almost 3.2K round trip.

I'm not looking for a land yacht, mid to smaller sized. Needs to comfortably sleep two adults separately and three bunks or whatever for the three kids. Obviously it needs to be in reasonably good mechanical condition.

We'll drive east or south of Wilkes-Barre area a few hundred miles for pickup, if it's northerly or westerly of Wilkes-Barre there really is no limit on how far especially going west. In fact westerly is ideal even if it's two or three states away. We can adjust our destinations dependent on where it is....

If you have something that fits the bill you'd be interested in renting let me know.

D-frost
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman MK ll
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Yukon Eagle I (multi-fuel oil, wood/coal)
Baseburners & Antiques: Herald 'fireside oak'
Coal Size/Type: nut/stove-Blaschak/Lehigh

Post by D-frost » Tue. Dec. 28, 2021 11:21 am

Richard,
You probably will find it easier to rent a 1 ton truck to pull the camper.......certainly better mileage, and maybe less rental fee. Have a good trip, and, bring back some pics!
Cheers

Richard S.
Mayor

Post by Richard S. » Tue. Dec. 28, 2021 12:22 pm

Before I go dragging a trailer and something we may just do is go with camping. Winter, rain, whatever. People used to think we were crazy. We once left his parents house with our backpacks when it was 0 out and going down to -10. They were justifiably concerned because they knew we were boozing.

Might as well be in my living room for campground camping, it's not like a project for us. When we did our cross country trips we'd hit campgrounds for 2 or 3 nights and then get a motel room for one night. We might do the same thing here.

warminmn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Junior, Efel Nestor Martin, Riteway 37
Coal Size/Type: nut and stove anthracite, lignite
Other Heating: Wood and wear a wool shirt

Post by warminmn » Tue. Dec. 28, 2021 3:07 pm

The State Parks out west are often cheaper to camp in than privately owned and have a little more privacy usually. Some have cabins now too. I avoid regular fancy campgrounds if possible. You've probably seen them already, but Reptile Gardens and then the daily trial of Jack McCall in Deadwood are nice to see. Ive heard the gold mine tour is neat but never took it. Many of the small attractions near Rapid City are jokes.

There are 2 private campgrounds outside of Sturgis that are large. As long as it isnt anytime near the bike rally, theres plenty of privacy, at least there used to be (its been a while since I camped there). Easy drive to Mt Rushmore, Deadwood, and Custer State Park from there, or anywhere else nearby.

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Tue. Dec. 28, 2021 4:23 pm

Deadwood & that whole area is definitely worth a visit. Scott, beins you're not goin the back-pack route--bein your not in your 20's anymore--LOL-- don't they rent those RV's somewhere around you? Personally, lendin an RV would be right up there with lendin my Harley--don't hold your breath!! :)

Hoytman
Location: swOH near a little town where the homes are mobile and the cars aren’t
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 354
Coal Size/Type: nut coal
Other Heating: electric, wood, oil

Post by Hoytman » Tue. Dec. 28, 2021 4:38 pm

freetown fred wrote:
Tue. Dec. 28, 2021 4:23 pm
Deadwood & that whole area is definitely worth a visit. Scott, beins you're not goin the back-pack route--bein your not in your 20's anymore--LOL-- don't they rent those RV's somewhere around you? Personally, lendin an RV would be right up there with lendin my Harley--don't hold your breath!! :)
Gas prices keep going up I'm might look to you to rent a horse, Fred. :lol: :no1:

freetown fred

Post by freetown fred » Tue. Dec. 28, 2021 6:29 pm

Now that's doable Billy!!! :)

mntbugy
Hand Fed Coal Stove: D S 1500, Warm Moring 400
Baseburners & Antiques: Art Garland 145,GW114 ,Clarion 115, Vestal 20 Globe,New Royal22 Globe, Red Cross Oak 56,Acme Ventiduct 38,Radiant Airblast 626,Home Airblast 62,Moores #7,Moores 3way
Coal Size/Type: stove and nut and some bit
Other Heating: Propain

Post by mntbugy » Tue. Dec. 28, 2021 7:04 pm

Google Cruise America.
Be carefully of the add on. Plus fuel.

Pauliewog
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Alaska 140 Dual Paddle Feed
Baseburners & Antiques: Fame Rosemont #20, Home Stove Works #25, Glenwood #6, Happy Thought Oak, Merry Bride #214, Sunnyside, Worlds Argand #114, New Golden Sun , & About 30 others.
Coal Size/Type: Stove, Chesnut, Pea, Rice / Anthracite

Post by Pauliewog » Tue. Dec. 28, 2021 11:46 pm

Richard,
I'm pretty sure there is still a rv rental company on Pierce Street on the right hand side if you are coming off Wyoming Ave.

I want to say it's about a block from the bridge.

Paulie

Richard S.
Mayor

Post by Richard S. » Tue. Dec. 28, 2021 11:55 pm

warminmn wrote:
Tue. Dec. 28, 2021 3:07 pm
The State Parks out west are often cheaper to camp in .....
I know the ones in the Southwest were dirt cheap and many weren't even manned. $5 at the time and some were even free. These were all pretty much primitive campgrounds with one amenity, a bathroom. No showers or anything like that. They had a station with a slotted pipe to put the money in. That said if we are taking a RV we will certainly plan ahead a little. Thanks for the tip about Sturgis, that will also give me reminder to make sure nothing big is going on.

I used to love the adventure of having no plan. Just that giant Rand McNally book map. We were in the middle of nowhere once and came to a T in the road, we flipped a coin. LOL We always had a general destination but if we took a four hour detour getting there it wasn't big deal. The only ting that really dictated where we going was gas, always had to be careful with that.

Attachments

crsctry042.jpg

Southwest Colorado

.JPG | 45.3KB | crsctry042.jpg
crsctry046.JPG

East Arizona

.JPG | 236.5KB | crsctry046.JPG
crsctry056.JPG

Near the North Rim of the Grand Canyon

.JPG | 251.3KB | crsctry056.JPG
crsctry072.JPG

Near Mammoth Lake CA

.JPG | 159.8KB | crsctry072.JPG
crsctry039.jpg

Late May heading west over a pass in the Sierra Nevada towards Yosemite, think it was around 11K foot.

.JPG | 137.9KB | crsctry039.jpg

Richard S.
Mayor

Post by Richard S. » Wed. Dec. 29, 2021 12:08 am

freetown fred wrote:
Scott, beins you're not goin the back-pack route--bein your not in your 20's anymore--LOL
Yea those days are over. My cousin was talking about taking his kids out in the woods for night and if we go I'm taking the quad. :D

freetown fred wrote:
Personally, lendin an RV would be right up there with lendin my Harley--don't hold your breath!! :)
There is a lot of people that do this because they can never get the time out of it. I'm not looking for someone to lend me something, I'm looking to rent. I'm expecting to pay a sizable sum.

Richard S.
Mayor

Post by Richard S. » Wed. Dec. 29, 2021 12:11 am

mntbugy wrote:
Tue. Dec. 28, 2021 7:04 pm
Google Cruise America.
Be carefully of the add on. Plus fuel.
I'm trying to avoid the RV rental sites mostly because they have hundreds in fees over the cost of renting the RV.

freetown fred

Post by freetown fred » Wed. Dec. 29, 2021 6:55 am

Understood--sadly in this day & age--liability is a HUGE consideration even renting off a private party. :(

Richard S.
Mayor

Post by Richard S. » Wed. Dec. 29, 2021 8:14 am

freetown fred wrote:
Wed. Dec. 29, 2021 6:55 am
Understood--sadly in this day & age--liability is a HUGE consideration even renting off a private party. :(
Other than making sure we have insurance which is something I wouldn't go without anyway I'm not sure what the liability may be unless it's mechanical issue. You are renting to two people with CDL's and great driving records.

freetown fred

Post by freetown fred » Wed. Dec. 29, 2021 9:01 am

Scott--the problem is with the other drivers--CDL nor perfect driving records don't account for them or injuries.. I hope ya find what your lookin for--just sharing an old farmers thoughts.

Return to “The Coffee House”