Merry Christmas All ACoal region story by jack

Den034071
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer, 3095

Post by Den034071 » Fri. Dec. 24, 2021 10:50 am

Tommy Kovacs had lost a leg below the knee .His dad a janitor an poor made crude crutches for tom .No money .Tomm missed school on rain an snow days .The boy would goto the N.o 6 mine blacksmith shop and watch the smiths casting hot metal for the mines .And foe steam train parts .Part 2 Bill Jenkins was the N0.6 colliery superintendant.Jenkins was a Rough Boss and a Real Boozer .The men nicknamed him Dempsey after the fighter .For a fact Jenkins Put 3 men in the hospital over bar Fights .Dec 3 1950s Jenkins got a call concerning a Strike at fifth level at no.6 mine .Jenkins drove to the mine down the elevator and confronted the miners .Punk Mc Hughthe ringleaderArgued with Bill .We Want more money the company is selling Lots Of Coal Due To Korea war .Next Punk stuck a finger on Jenkins Chest Big Big mistake a Right an Left an Punk was knocked out .Strike Over .Next Jenkins drove to the blacksmith shop .Getting out of the cae Jenkins Saw Tommy On A Bench .Screaming jenkins hollerd what are you doing here Stand up im talking to you. Poor Tommy scared dropped the crutches and fell to the ground .Strangely jenkins was overcome with compassion an carried Tommy into the warm shop .First Bill called Bill Miller the foreman Bill take the kid up town heres 25 bucks for clothes boots etc .Bill asked Miller dont the kids play with him .No sled the kids shun him over the leg .Jenkins next called theShop carpenter an Said Drop All Your Work Make the boy a Sled .Have the boy and sled here Noon Tomorrow .The sled was a dandy silver an stenciled on top the letters F 86 Sabre Jet.Noon next day Jenkins gave the sled to Tommy tho reverting to a tough guy simply said Have Fun Tommy And Walked To His Car .Tommy hollerd thank you sir .Jenkins drove back to his office and typed the Following letter .Dear Mrs Kovacs i want to help your Tommy i haVe Made arrangements WithOur Coal Company DoctorTo Fit Tommy With A New Artificial Leg There will Not Be Any Cost To You .Bring the boy this week and ask For Doctor Marv Evans .Wishing You Merry Christmas.Wm.Jenkins Lehigh Nav ,Coal Company.That says it all .Merry Christmas coal Brethern .Jack

Benny
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Koker lite- house. Reading- garage
Coal Size/Type: Rice
Other Heating: Oil

Post by Benny » Fri. Dec. 24, 2021 11:13 am

Thanks Jack, I have goosebumps. Merry Christmas to you!

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Fri. Dec. 24, 2021 12:37 pm

Nice Jack--thanx for sharing!!! Merry Christmas to you & Maggi. :)

KLook
Other Heating: Wishing it was cold enough for coal here....not really

Post by KLook » Fri. Dec. 24, 2021 3:26 pm

Thanks for that Jack! Even the toughest SOB's have a soft spot.

StokerDon
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Gentleman Janitor GJ-5, Van Wert VA-600, Axeman Anderson130 X3.
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Harman SF3500 reduced down to 3 grates connected to its own plenum
Coal Size/Type: Rice, Chestnut and whatever will fit through the door on the Harman
Other Heating: Noth'in but COAL! Well, Maybe a little tiny bit of wood

Post by StokerDon » Fri. Dec. 24, 2021 7:18 pm

Great story Jack!

Always glad to hear how we did things in old time coal country. You have a Merry Christmas!

-Don

Hoytman
Location: swOH near a little town where the homes are mobile and the cars aren’t
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 354
Coal Size/Type: nut coal
Other Heating: electric, wood, oil

Post by Hoytman » Fri. Dec. 24, 2021 7:34 pm

Jack,
Thank you for sharing the story my friend. That last little bit of the story got me all choked up as I sit here on Christmas Eve reading your story out loud to my entire family.

Merry Christmas to all my coal brethren!! I love ever one of yuns!!!

Hambden Bob
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Harman 1998 Magnum Stoker
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Blower Model Coal Chubby 1982-Serial#0097
Coal Size/Type: Rice-A-Roni ! / Nut
Other Heating: Pro-Pain Forced Air

Post by Hambden Bob » Fri. Dec. 24, 2021 8:29 pm

Well,Jack,You Certainly Are Our Christmas Coal Country Legacy Bust-Ass!! Try Saying That Title Fast,Twice,Let Alone Three Times!
Your Christmas Stories Always Carry Extreme Legitimacy,Along With A Healthy Dose Of Charles Dicken's-Like Humanity... A Real Warmth Of Da' Soul.. Do You Know Why Jack? Well,It's Real Simple-You Lived Them...
Merry Christmas To You And Miss Maggs!! Keep On Crackin' Coal,My Dear Friend! Much Love!!🎯💝🌲🤶🎅🍻👍😎

CoalHeat
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1959 EFM 350
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Magnafire Mark I
Baseburners & Antiques: Sears Signal Oak 15 & Andes Kitchen Range
Coal Size/Type: Rice and Chestnut
Other Heating: Fisher Fireplace Insert

Post by CoalHeat » Sun. Dec. 26, 2021 11:46 am

Thank you for the story, Jack.

warminmn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Junior, Efel Nestor Martin, Riteway 37
Coal Size/Type: nut and stove anthracite, lignite
Other Heating: Wood and wear a wool shirt

Post by warminmn » Sun. Dec. 26, 2021 1:08 pm

Very touching story. Thanks Jack!

buffalo bob
Hand Fed Coal Stove: hitzer 354 and a 254
Coal Size/Type: anthracite nut

Post by buffalo bob » Sun. Dec. 26, 2021 3:55 pm

wow jack best story i read this year...keep em rolling...happy new year to u...buffalo bob...

hank2
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine 1400 WH ciculator; 1880's small cannon in reserve
Coal Size/Type: Nut
Other Heating: small New Yorker oil fired boiler; mostly used for domestic HW

Post by hank2 » Tue. Dec. 28, 2021 10:59 pm

Jack, good stuff! You've got the best Christmas tales. Hope you had a fine Christmas and Happy New Year!

Return to “The Coffee House”