How Much Energy does the Earth Receive from the Sun

Hoytman
Location: swOH near a little town where the homes are mobile and the cars aren’t
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 354
Coal Size/Type: nut coal
Other Heating: electric, wood, oil

Post by Hoytman » Sun. Nov. 28, 2021 5:10 pm

Richard S. wrote:
Fri. Nov. 26, 2021 11:23 pm
Technically you can. Matter is energy in a different form as described by Einsteins famous equation.

Getting back to the question asphalt doesn't attract more heat, it absorbs, stores it and then remits it overnight as it gets cold instead of immediately reflecting it back into the atmosphere as other materials would. There isn't any more or less energy, just differences in how it is moving from one place to another.

This is one of the issues with accurately measuring climate change. The environments many of these weather stations are in do not accurately reflect the environment they were in 50 or 100 years ago and you have additional man made heat. You can google "urban heat island" for more information.
We’re saying the same thing given your google recommendation.

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Sun. Nov. 28, 2021 6:49 pm

Sorry Richard but I seem to remember being taught that the earth’s orbit is closer distance to sun in the winter. It is then actually the earth’s tilt that make our hemisphere cold.

Richard S.
Mayor
Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert VA1200
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/Anthracite

Post by Richard S. » Mon. Nov. 29, 2021 8:02 am

Lightning wrote:
Sun. Nov. 28, 2021 11:11 am
Seems like the entire year would also be a bell curve because of daylight length. At our latitude, we get less than 9 hours at winter solstice then more 15 hours of sunlight at summer solstice..
I would assume that is the case but you have the ambient temperature factor. Colder panels are more efficient.... The best ambient temperatures occur during the worst angle of the sun and vice versa.

Richard S.
Mayor

Post by Richard S. » Mon. Nov. 29, 2021 8:18 am

McGiever wrote:
Sun. Nov. 28, 2021 6:49 pm
Sorry Richard but I seem to remember being taught that the earth’s orbit is closer distance to sun in the winter. It is then actually the earth’s tilt that make our hemisphere cold.
Sorry if you misunderstood but It's not the distance between the sun and the earth. It's the distance the sun's energy has to travel through the atmosphere. If it's directly overhead it's only a few miles. If the sun is low in the sky it's hundreds of miles if not thousands.

This of course is what gives us seasons but it also affects the ability of solar panels to produce electric because less energy is reaching them when the angle is low. Even if you have a panel that can track the sun on a bright summer morning it's only going to be making a few percent of what it will producing midday. During the winter it's always low in the sky so it will have significant impact over summer production.

To reiterate If you look at the energy graphs for any of these panels it's bell curve from dawn to dusk and the reason for that is the amount of atmosphere. The only place you won't see that curve is near the poles in the summer where the sun is traveling around you in a circle. ;)

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Mon. Nov. 29, 2021 9:14 am

No misunderstanding here…

And hope I’m not around when the sun is circling overhead of the poles…yikes!!! LOL

Richard S.
Mayor

Post by Richard S. » Mon. Nov. 29, 2021 9:37 am

McGiever wrote:
Mon. Nov. 29, 2021 9:14 am
And hope I’m not around when the sun is circling overhead of the poles…yikes!!! LOL
The sun never sets near the poles in the summer time, it travels around the horizon.

coalnewbie
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: LL AnthraKing 180K, Pocono110K,KStokr 90K, DVC
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Invader 2
Baseburners & Antiques: Wings Best, Glenwood #8(x2) Herald 116x
Coal Size/Type: Rice,
Other Heating: Heating Oil CH, Toyotomi OM 22

Post by coalnewbie » Mon. Nov. 29, 2021 11:51 am

A friend of Shelley came to call as he is Jewish and did not know she died. Topic got round to solar as he was the first adopter in Pine Hill Rd. His topic was ... how do I get this solar chit off his roof as his roof needs repair. I told him he should be happy he is saving over $3 a day in electricity and he is saving the planet. HAHAHAHAHAHAHA, I am a card ... I just slay myself.

Lightning
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Modified AA 130
Coal Size/Type: Pea Size - Anthracite

Post by Lightning » Mon. Nov. 29, 2021 4:39 pm

Heres a cool vid of the sun circling above the Arctic Circle.

mntbugy
Hand Fed Coal Stove: D S 1500, Warm Moring 400
Baseburners & Antiques: Art Garland 145,GW114 ,Clarion 115, Vestal 20 Globe,New Royal22 Globe, Red Cross Oak 56,Acme Ventiduct 38,Radiant Airblast 626,Home Airblast 62,Moores #7,Moores 3way
Coal Size/Type: stove and nut and some bit
Other Heating: Propain

Post by mntbugy » Sun. Dec. 05, 2021 9:02 am

A Sunday sermon? Are you smarter than a 3rd grader, or Ripley's believe it or not.
Rather long at 1.5 hrs.

https://fb.watch/9IvAkqTRKG/

Return to “The Coffee House”