America on Strike

theo

Post by theo » Thu. Oct. 14, 2021 7:22 am

It's about time the working people stand up and want better working conditions and more pay plus benefits. The CEO's of alot of these companies have been getting them in huge amounts for a long time, workers also need to bring back pensions along with the 401k's. :yes:

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Thu. Oct. 14, 2021 9:28 am

The company I work for recently increased wages across the board for the line workers, which has increased our costs substantially. One of our big customers is the govt. Do you think they want to pay more because we are doing the right thing and raising wages? No, they are looking for the lowest bidder...which will probably be a company that makes their products overseas.

I am not disagreeing with you, just saying there are a lot of other things other than wages that need to change.

warminmn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Junior, Efel Nestor Martin, Riteway 37
Coal Size/Type: nut and stove anthracite, lignite
Other Heating: Wood and wear a wool shirt

Post by warminmn » Thu. Oct. 14, 2021 9:36 am

Somewhere in all the talks there has to be a happy spot where neither side gets all they want. That is what they should settle on. Ive worked one job that should have been union but most were fine without being union. Its as much the owner of the business as anything else. Some owners treat people great, others only want slaves. The slave owners deserve the unions to move in.

theo

Post by theo » Thu. Oct. 14, 2021 10:53 am

Rob R. wrote:
Thu. Oct. 14, 2021 9:28 am
The company I work for recently increased wages across the board for the line workers, which has increased our costs substantially. One of our big customers is the govt. Do you think they want to pay more because we are doing the right thing and raising wages? No, they are looking for the lowest bidder...which will probably be a company that makes their products overseas.

I am not disagreeing with you, just saying there are a lot of other things other than wages that need to change.
Do we really want this???????? :lol:

Hoytman
Location: swOH near a little town where the homes are mobile and the cars aren’t
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 354
Coal Size/Type: nut coal
Other Heating: electric, wood, oil

Post by Hoytman » Thu. Oct. 14, 2021 2:41 pm

warminmn wrote:
Thu. Oct. 14, 2021 9:36 am
Somewhere in all the talks there has to be a happy spot where neither side gets all they want. That is what they should settle on. Ive worked one job that should have been union but most were fine without being union. Its as much the owner of the business as anything else. Some owners treat people great, others only want slaves. The slave owners deserve the unions to move in.
Good post.

I have baffled conservatives for years in support of unions...because greed is greed, and each party is full of it. A Union can be just like a gun, a great equalizer. Most conservatives would have you work for pennies. Most democrats would have you paid $60 hr when the effort put into the job is about $15-$20 dollars worth.

However, when men with decades of service making $30-$60/hr are willing to take chances with their job stealing toilet paper ( true story...Ford motor company) from the company...I’m sorry...the unions should not fight for their jobs back. Too many young people out there willing to work for less keeping them price of vehicles down.

By the way, what are they going to do with all those vehicles parked in fields they can’t sell? Chips will eventually be available. Doesn’t make sense to crush them and take a write off when they could give them to needy people and get the same write off.

theo

Post by theo » Thu. Oct. 14, 2021 3:42 pm

Well if the CEO's would take a paycut maybe the prices would come down

warminmn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Junior, Efel Nestor Martin, Riteway 37
Coal Size/Type: nut and stove anthracite, lignite
Other Heating: Wood and wear a wool shirt

Post by warminmn » Thu. Oct. 14, 2021 8:26 pm

Hoytman wrote:
Thu. Oct. 14, 2021 2:41 pm
Good post.

I have baffled conservatives for years in support of unions...because greed is greed, and each party is full of it. A Union can be just like a gun, a great equalizer. Most conservatives would have you work for pennies. Most democrats would have you paid $60 hr when the effort put into the job is about $15-$20 dollars worth.

However, when men with decades of service making $30-$60/hr are willing to take chances with their job stealing toilet paper ( true story...Ford motor company) from the company...I’m sorry...the unions should not fight for their jobs back. Too many young people out there willing to work for less keeping them price of vehicles down.

By the way, what are they going to do with all those vehicles parked in fields they can’t sell? Chips will eventually be available. Doesn’t make sense to crush them and take a write off when they could give them to needy people and get the same write off.
Also a good post! I had a seasonal job for years that the pay was real low but the owners were so nice I didnt care. I had another job that paid good for a while but they couldnt keep help because of the way the employees were treated. They could have paid less and been better owners and both sides would have been happier. There are reasons there are unions. It still comes down to finding jobs we like to do or at least dont mind driving too. Then it doesnt matter if its union or not. I wont get one but anyone with a pension should be happy upon retirement.

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Thu. Oct. 14, 2021 8:44 pm

BINGO T!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
theo wrote:
Thu. Oct. 14, 2021 3:42 pm
Well if the CEO's would take a paycut maybe the prices would come down

theo

Post by theo » Thu. Oct. 14, 2021 10:57 pm

I have a pension after working 46 years where i retired from, but we had to fight to keep it most of those years, went out on strike a few contracts to keep the pension and other benifits. It was a union shop and we kept the pension program up till the last 7 years i worked there. All those years before that the old timers stuck to their guns to keep it, then the company hired the younger ones when the old timers retired and we got out numbered with young that were afraid to strike because they were to far in dept with new houses and cars,,,,,,, You only get what your willing to fight for. Not all or always but you will get more than not making a stand

Return to “The Coffee House”