Amish kids

Den034071
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer, 3095

Post by Den034071 » Sun. Aug. 22, 2021 12:28 pm

Yesterday i sold my steel scaffold i used for bricklaying chimneys etc.Amish family 2 girls and mom an dad an driver .The 2 girls about 7 and 10 years old immediatelystarted to carry the 5 by 5 foot scaffold to the drivers trailer .The mom loaded the 7 foot steel braces .No orders were given to the kids they just loaded the scaffold . I was amazed an kept quiet . My thoughts drifed to Evertwhere i see kids In Public Playing Video Games .What work ethic .I and the bearded Burly dad talked consruction and Shook Hands .They had a 3 hour ride .jack

Hoytman
Location: swOH near a little town where the homes are mobile and the cars aren’t
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 354
Coal Size/Type: nut coal
Other Heating: electric, wood, oil

Post by Hoytman » Sun. Aug. 22, 2021 12:51 pm

Great story Jack. Does make you wonder about kids today...raising themselves.

warminmn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Junior, Efel Nestor Martin, Riteway 37
Coal Size/Type: nut and stove anthracite, lignite
Other Heating: Wood and wear a wool shirt

Post by warminmn » Sun. Aug. 22, 2021 2:45 pm

When I used to buy cut slabwood from them the kids often helped and it was hard to keep up with a girl that must have only been 10 and barefoot, lol Yes, they are really hard workers and dont complain much about it.

theo

Post by theo » Thu. Aug. 26, 2021 12:51 pm

I sorta live in Amish country and while one day driving past a amish farm i saw some kids out in the front yard playing cornhole, they had two 5 gallon buckets set up and what looked like rags rolled up into a ball! They looked like they were having fun!!! :lol:

KingCoal
Hand Fed Coal Stove: 1 comforter stove works all iron coal box stove, seventies.
Baseburners & Antiques: 2014 DTS C17 Base Burner, GW #6, GW 113 formerly Sir Williams, maybe others at Pauliewog’s I’ve forgotten about
Coal Size/Type: Nut Anth.
Other Heating: none

Post by KingCoal » Tue. Aug. 31, 2021 11:26 am

Come on out to Elkhart county Indiana. You’ll see 10 year olds out in the field alone driving a hitch of 6 Belgians with a 3 bottom mold board plow in tow

Most times they have another little guy with them so the 2 of them can lever up the plow on row ends to turn around.

Back when the automobile was just coming in it was that way on every farmstead in the country.

Around here the boys and girls who go to the church district schools and aren’t going on to public high school start work off the farm and get themselves there and home on their bikes year round. Some as much as 15 miles each way. A lot of them are out doing chores at 3:30-4:00 am and go by my house between 5-6 am

tsb
Stoker Coal Boiler: Binford 2000
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: LL Pioneer top vent
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Saey Hanover II
Baseburners & Antiques: Grander Golden Oak , Glenwood # 6
Coal Size/Type: All of them

Post by tsb » Tue. Aug. 31, 2021 2:29 pm

In Lancaster County the kids cut tobacco. Two mules pull the wagon. One or two on the wagon hanging the loaded sticks. Two on the ground loading the sticks. Four or more cutting the leaves with big ass knives. None of them are over twelve and none are wearing shoes. As a broken down 73 year old, I envy their joy of work. There wasn't an adult in sight.

Den034071
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer, 3095

Post by Den034071 » Tue. Aug. 31, 2021 2:41 pm

Not long ago i saw this .I was behind a school bus waiting for kids to be left out .A mom was waiting to pick up her child .Kid was 14 or Older .They drove down hill to Only the Third House .I sat there In Shock .Im not Abe Lincoln But back In Coaldale a Mining Town we walked about one an half miles tl parochial school /.Note the kid came From A Upscale Neighborhood .Jack

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Tue. Aug. 31, 2021 5:09 pm

Ain't modern thinkin just grande Jack!!!! NOT :evil:

KLook
Other Heating: Wishing it was cold enough for coal here....not really

Post by KLook » Tue. Aug. 31, 2021 9:48 pm

You have all just described why we are where we are at this moment in history.

Kevin

gaw
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KA-6
Coal Size/Type: Rice from Schuylkill County

Post by gaw » Thu. Sep. 02, 2021 8:32 pm

Jack, you need to hang out with me. I'll introduce you to JR who prefers drinking booze to being Amish. Hell of a nice guy but couldn't conform to the Amish lifestyle.

franpipeman
Stoker Coal Boiler: efm 520 stoker fitzgibbons pressure vessel
Hand Fed Coal Stove: harman, russo
Coal Size/Type: rice
Other Heating: alpine propane condensing boiler radiant floor

Post by franpipeman » Fri. Sep. 03, 2021 9:02 am

i give great credit to the amish and mennonite for their style . I love especially the gasoline powered hay bailer pulled by a team of horses its a hybrid. they want to slow things down to savor the important things i have been told.
Check out this amish owned business who took over a local scrap yard and despite my fears , organized and it great
https://www.mbglick.com

warminmn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Junior, Efel Nestor Martin, Riteway 37
Coal Size/Type: nut and stove anthracite, lignite
Other Heating: Wood and wear a wool shirt

Post by warminmn » Fri. Sep. 03, 2021 9:40 am

Here they have stationary engines hooked to balers. They haul the loose hay to the baler and fork it in. But I did recently learn that the ones here are among the most conservative old order in the country. They dont ride bikes either as some do. No propane use yet. All that stuff varies from group to group.

When I think of all the work they have to do to bale hay its amazing. Besides planting it, they have to cut it with a sickle mower pulled by horses, turn the hay with horses. Then when dry pull a wagon with horses and fork the hay onto the wagon. Then take the wagon to the baler and fork it thru the baler. Then hand stack the bales onto a wagon, pull to their barn. I think they use a conveyor to get in the hay mound so put the bales on conveyor, then someone in the mound stacks it. And the amount of hay they use would be enormous with horses.

I thought baling was bad enough when i was young without the extra few hard steps they do.

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Fri. Sep. 03, 2021 2:32 pm

W, that's about the same in the settlement around here. All that reminds me of how things were on my Grandfathers farm--I remember our first kick baler & elec. conveyor!! I try to stay as close to those days as Momma will allow me!!! :lol: I work with these local Amish kids daily & don't even bother with the English kids helpin out here on the "lil horse farm"

Attachments

003 (2).JPG
.JPG | 60.2KB | 003 (2).JPG
April 2021 002.JPG
.JPG | 36.3KB | April 2021 002.JPG
003.JPG
.JPG | 50.1KB | 003.JPG

Return to “The Coffee House”