mineshaft found in basement?

n0cturnal

Post by n0cturnal » Tue. Jul. 27, 2021 1:03 am

hi, I don’t necessarily know anything about coal or mining, but I have a question and I think someone here may be able to help.
I’ve recently been looking at homes for rent in the Coal Region area of PA. I was shown a home the either day, and the owner mentioned to me that there was a mineshaft in the basement.
should I be worried? I’m nervous about potential gases coming into the home.
I also did not see this mineshaft and I’m hoping he might have meant it was a “coal room” and not an actual open mineshaft.
any advice? :o

Richard S.
Mayor
Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert VA1200
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/Anthracite

Post by Richard S. » Tue. Jul. 27, 2021 5:43 am

My Uncle told me he used to be able to hear them working when he went to his one GF's house. He also relayed another story of a guy who had a crack in the basement floor, it was convenient for disposing of the coal ashes. That would be the closest thing I have ever heard to mine shaft in the basement. I guess anything is possible but I doubt there is a mine shaft.

As far as the gases go the primary concern is CO2, it's twice as heavy as air and will lie in pockets. You can visualize it as being water. At about 5% concentration you will begin to feel the effects, around 12% or so you are in trouble and can be overcome immediately. Eventual death if the situation is not rectified. This is common in any type of situation where you have closed environment and a source of CO2; large industrial tanks, sewers and of course underground mines.

While on the topic if you live in an area that has been mined you can get mine subsidence insurance relatively cheap from the state. I think I pay like $60 per year. Standard homeowners insurance policy does not cover mine subsidence.

https://www.dep.pa.gov/Citizens/MSI/Pages/default.aspx

n0cturnal

Post by n0cturnal » Tue. Jul. 27, 2021 11:55 am

thanks for that info!
I am wondering if maybe they meant something different. I’ll ask for clarification.
worst case scenario, are there detectors that can detect CO2 similar to carbon monoxide?

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Tue. Jul. 27, 2021 1:04 pm

Nope--BUT, there are specific Carbon Monoxide alarms. :) Don't get the combo--I have little faith in them.

Richard S.
Mayor
Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert VA1200
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/Anthracite

Post by Richard S. » Tue. Jul. 27, 2021 4:12 pm

n0cturnal wrote:
Tue. Jul. 27, 2021 11:55 am
worst case scenario, are there detectors that can detect CO2 similar to carbon monoxide?
There are but unless you have intentions of going into a mine I doubt you need one.

Return to “The Coffee House”