Coffee 2-20-21

Freddy
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 130 (pea)
Coal Size/Type: Pea size, Superior, deep mined

Post by Freddy » Sat. Feb. 20, 2021 5:34 am

Oh, gosh.... it's chilly outside, but inside the coffee is rich and hot so come on in and enjoy a cup. I'm thinking waffles for breakfast. Who has home made butter? There's a chunk of ham also... we could fry that up.

Last Sunday my buddy Micheal drove to the ice rink to see how things were. He took three steps from his car & BOOM.... down he went. Yup, broke his leg but good. An ambulance ride, surgery the next day for titanium rod knee to ankle, then during surgery got "compartment syndrome". It's fairly rare and no fun at all. It's when the muscle swells too much for the skin and shuts off it's own blood supply. So, they sliced him on each side from knee to ankle & left him open for a couple of days. Ouch! On Wednesday ( Thurs?) they put him back together & sent him home. Luckily no infection. He'll be good as new in 12 weeks. He's having fun going on line and buying every gripper on earth for future icy walks.

I'm emptying ashes every other day.... the Axeman is loving this cold weather.

I hope Texas warms up soon. Not a good time for them.

Stay safe & forward we go!

artbaldoni
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Alaska Kodiak
Other Heating: O W/C B

Post by artbaldoni » Sat. Feb. 20, 2021 7:14 am

Coffee is delish! Thanks Freddy!

15f this morning here on the mountain in South Central PA. Nice and toasty here in the house. Both stoves going.

The home made grate I made for the outdoor boiler, so I could burn coal, out of angle iron and expanded metal 5 years ago finally caved in. It was to be temporary, but, like they say, there's nothing more permanent than a temporary installation. The new one is made of wash rack decking with a piece of expanded metal on top.

The Kodiak I got last week is amazing, what a beast! Best $250 I've spent in a while.

All the kids are home for the wife's 60th birthday celebration, so I won't get into a lot today. Heading for a ton of coal this morning.

Stay safe and stay warm!

Keepaeyeonit
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood #8
Coal Size/Type: Nut & stove
Other Heating: 49 year old oil furnace, and finally a new heat pump

Post by Keepaeyeonit » Sat. Feb. 20, 2021 7:40 am

Good kinda chilly morning friends, Very good coffee this morning Freddy thanks.
I hope your friend gets better soon and yes that sounds very painful!! I couldn't even begin to imagine, Just a typical winter weekend again as I really have nothing planned except to fill the indoor coal bin "Wow how exciting" :lol:

Ok people have a good day and a safe weekend.

KLook
Other Heating: Wishing it was cold enough for coal here....not really

Post by KLook » Sat. Feb. 20, 2021 8:01 am

:x Warm is good, which it isn't here.... :x Get some coffee for this grumpy old man.
I moved here for the mild winters and because I fell on ice more then once on job sites or in my driveway....the ground sure comes up quick and I am still quick and athletic. I am not sure if the dance to prevent a crash is more harmful anyways..... :o Hope he is ok, and tell him to move to Fla. Skip Tenn. as it is 19* here this morning! Again! And you can't get much further South and stay in Tenn.
Heat pump has been running almost 24/7 to keep the house at 69*. I have an unvented gas log fireplace that I hate. It stinks up the whole house. And it is in the room with the thermostat so it causes the heat to shut off and cool the rest of the house. That has started my next renovation project. Part of that is a 3 sided peninsular fireplace I have had for a couple of years. IT is vented.
Other projects are coming along, rehabbing a 1956 Johnson 10 HP outboard. Parts are in the mail for the carb, coils, points and the new water pump is installed.
Off this morning to pick up a Technics SL-1300 turntable, the new renovations include a room on the second floor, that does not exist yet, for a music/man cave. It is a step up from my nice Pioneer PL-4 I bought new in 1981.
Have fun everyone, and hope for a break in this nasty weather. If it keeps up I will need a black rock burner here......

D-frost
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman MK ll
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Yukon Eagle I (multi-fuel oil, wood/coal)
Baseburners & Antiques: Herald 'fireside oak'
Coal Size/Type: nut/stove-Blaschak/Lehigh

Post by D-frost » Sat. Feb. 20, 2021 8:08 am

Mornin'
Good hot coffee...thank you, Freddy. It looks like we have a little bit of snow to move today......deck, walkway and driveway. "1" month to Spring.....yahoo! So far, not a bad Winter.

Mrs. and I are scheduled for the Wuhan shot Monday, by NH National Guard.....so, as Freddy says, "forward we go". Take care, and stay warm.
Cheers

StokerDon
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Gentleman Janitor GJ-5, Van Wert VA-600, Axeman Anderson130 X3.
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Harman SF3500 reduced down to 3 grates connected to its own plenum
Coal Size/Type: Rice, Chestnut and whatever will fit through the door on the Harman
Other Heating: Noth'in but COAL! Well, Maybe a little tiny bit of wood

Post by StokerDon » Sat. Feb. 20, 2021 9:05 am

Morning all!

Sorry to hear about your buddy Micheal there Freddy. The poor guy, heads out to do some simple ice skating and ends up in the hospital. Hope he gets better soon.

24* down my way. I think this is 21 days that we have snow on the ground down here. That's got to be a record! Normal highs for this time of year are 40* and the snow never sticks around very long. I'm not complaining though, I love the cold! :D

The Axeman 130 Heats Wood Boiler project is a success. It is providing more than enough heat and the owners are very happy with it. They also like the fact that they can now go away for a couple days without finding someone to take care of the wood boiler! :D

Stay healthy, happy and safe everyone!
-Don

buffalo bob
Hand Fed Coal Stove: hitzer 354 and a 254
Coal Size/Type: anthracite nut

Post by buffalo bob » Sat. Feb. 20, 2021 10:05 am

morn all...15* here on the south west side of wills mtn. ...on my 3ed cup of coffee...good...how much do i owe u...hitzer doing a good job running bout 400* got my air circulation just right...thats the secret...well have to get the mail po box...undiserable neighbors 4tenths of a mile down the lane cant see them...dont trust them at a rural mail box...well take care all thanks for the free coffee freddie...see ya B,B.

Hambden Bob
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Harman 1998 Magnum Stoker
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Blower Model Coal Chubby 1982-Serial#0097
Coal Size/Type: Rice-A-Roni ! / Nut
Other Heating: Pro-Pain Forced Air

Post by Hambden Bob » Sat. Feb. 20, 2021 10:32 am

Well,Well,Well! What a week to Witness! We've had it pretty easy in N.E. Ohio compared to the Total Mess that the Mid-South and South had become. Actually thought of temporarily un-retiring to help out! I soon thought better of that notion as Logistics were expectedly shot to Hell. As an Outsider coming to assist,the only dependable way to have lodging,heat and electricity and whatnot would be to tow a fully self contained unit there and operate out of it until the situation wound down a wee bit! Campground scenarios were not good,either!
Ice,Ice Baby,as Mr. Michael found out,can be the bane of our aging existance! As for the Rest Of You Coal DregsKeep Shovelling!!

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Sat. Feb. 20, 2021 12:56 pm

Late, but here's some home churned butter!! Nice b-fast choice Freddy. :) Lake affect all mornin--got around 8" so far. Had plow truck runnin like a charm AND--4X4 actuator took a dump yesterday!! Part won't get here till end of month. $43.00 w/ free shippin OR $128.00 local--good everybody here on the hill has plows of some sort!! Used to be, yrs. back, I'd keep all the old timers plowed out & guess what--now I've become one!!! LOL Got a bunch of good neighbors around me... Oh well, enjoy the week-end people. BB, that sux!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

buffalo bob

Post by buffalo bob » Sat. Feb. 20, 2021 4:09 pm

well fred, justone family of bad neighbors...down along the road are all good...will help each other out..any time..but i enjoy going to the post office just for the ride, see what deer and other animals are doing..see whats new...5 miles to p.o.take care old friend stay warm...B.B.

BostonBob
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Harman DVC500,Alaska Gnome 40
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by BostonBob » Sun. Feb. 21, 2021 10:01 am

Morning everyone had an odd Saturday started off with a lot of snow (totaled at about 46 inches !) had to plow out the driveway and unbury the truck ! I had to get to the VA for my 1st Covid shot 30 miles away ! Thank god once I got about 10 miles from the house the snow stopped and there was very little on the ground, walked in got the shot 💉 went to Home Depot for a few nuts and bolts for the tractor and got back home to a warm stove and house 😁 got to go out and plow the driveway again but the sun is out and should be a good day ! Have a Great day all

Toddburn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 983/ Hitzer 55
Coal Size/Type: Nut anthracite/pea
Other Heating: Heat pump/forced air

Post by Toddburn » Sun. Feb. 21, 2021 12:29 pm

D80CDD5D-DCDA-408B-801A-14B82BBE2A2A.jpeg
.JPEG | 1.2MB | D80CDD5D-DCDA-408B-801A-14B82BBE2A2A.jpeg
late to the coffee house here’s a picture of the new pup Arlo... so far he’s been a very good boy. A balmy one here this morning it seems to snow every day or so one more small round tomorrow then a warm up. Freddy hope your friend recovers fast. Work has been crazy with the cold and snow I need a break. Stay warm fellows spring is just around the corner! Have a good Sunday guys!

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Sun. Feb. 21, 2021 2:13 pm

Isn't he just adorable T!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! .>)

Toddburn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 983/ Hitzer 55
Coal Size/Type: Nut anthracite/pea
Other Heating: Heat pump/forced air

Post by Toddburn » Sun. Feb. 21, 2021 5:02 pm

Thanks Fred! He’s full of energy lol

buffalo bob

Post by buffalo bob » Mon. Feb. 22, 2021 3:55 pm

Toddburn wrote:
Sun. Feb. 21, 2021 5:02 pm
Thanks Fred! He’s full of energy lol
looks alot like our dog (squat)...spoiled brat...but love her...

Return to “The Coffee House”