Coffee after Christmas 12-26-20

Freddy
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 130 (pea)
Coal Size/Type: Pea size, Superior, deep mined

Post by Freddy » Sat. Dec. 26, 2020 6:47 am

Good morning! Come on in & have a hot cup of fresh coffee. Waffles are about ready & some crispy bacon awaits.

Hope you all had a good Christmas & got to be safe while finding a way to keep up traditions. Phone calls and Zoom sessions filled the gap for many. I don't think my older daughter and I have ever talked over an hour, but it was nice yesterday.

We tossed $100 worth of lobster, scallops, big shrimp, and fresh haddock into a chowder.... it's delicious! There's a bit left over if you can get here before noon.

The Axeman didn't like yesterday.... He likes to run, but with an all time record Christmas high temperature of 62, the poor 'ol machine didn't have much room to run. I'm sure He'll be happier in a couple of weeks.

Take care..... stay safe... next Christmas should be back to normal.... shouldn't it?

Keepaeyeonit
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood #8
Coal Size/Type: Nut & stove
Other Heating: 49 year old oil furnace, and finally a new heat pump

Post by Keepaeyeonit » Sat. Dec. 26, 2020 7:15 am

Good morning people, Oh boy Freddy coffee, waffles, and bacon sounds good.
I hope everyone had a good Christmas? It was ok just stayed home relaxing after digging out from a winter storm, I did blow a drive belt on the blower so after changing it with a *censored* used one i managed to finish the job with a limping blower, oh well!
Not much going this weekend although I do have to work but thats life🤪
Ok friends have a good one and stay safe.

D-frost
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman MK ll
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Yukon Eagle I (multi-fuel oil, wood/coal)
Baseburners & Antiques: Herald 'fireside oak'
Coal Size/Type: nut/stove-Blaschak/Lehigh

Post by D-frost » Sat. Dec. 26, 2020 7:20 am

Mornin'
Good coffee, Freddy, thank you. Weird Christmas.....yes......we kept a 'low profile' and did the phone call scenario.....just not the same.......Bah Humbug!!!!!
60* on Christmas Day....30* today.......good part, 12" of snow gone........Freddy, I think your Axeman will be back to 'cruisin' real quick. Stay warm and healthy everyone.
Cheers

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Sat. Dec. 26, 2020 7:39 am

Mornin all, great b-fast choice Freddy. 15* here on the hill with 3" of new snow. Christmas was outstanding!! Enjoy the week-end people. :)

buffalo bob
Hand Fed Coal Stove: hitzer 354 and a 254
Coal Size/Type: anthracite nut

Post by buffalo bob » Sat. Dec. 26, 2020 8:45 am

morning all... 12* here 8:30am had to give the hitzer a little help with the heat pump, hate using the electric but i ain't going to be cold...great breakfast luv waffels and maple...it might be 12* here but the wind has the feel down to2*...well gotta go time to reload the hitzer for another 12hrs...have a good one nd i hope and pray for a good 2021...B.B.

KLook
Other Heating: Wishing it was cold enough for coal here....not really

Post by KLook » Sat. Dec. 26, 2020 9:19 am

Thanks for the waffles and enjoy that warmth. They are using it to declare the earth is warming.....while it is 16 right now in Chattanooga, TN. Ying and yang is all. No snow to plow thank God. But it was close, only 1 hr North of us they got 3 inches. This place is a zoo with snow.
Had a nice quiet day at my sons and played with the grands.
I don't hold out much hope for a better new year. They have the sheep on the run and will not let up.

Kevin

StokerDon
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Gentleman Janitor GJ-5, Van Wert VA-600, Axeman Anderson130 X3.
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Harman SF3500 reduced down to 3 grates connected to its own plenum
Coal Size/Type: Rice, Chestnut and whatever will fit through the door on the Harman
Other Heating: Noth'in but COAL! Well, Maybe a little tiny bit of wood

Post by StokerDon » Sat. Dec. 26, 2020 9:21 am

Morning all!

Thanks Freddy but I don't think I can eat another bite! Still full from yesterday. I'll have some coffee though, I feel like a slug this morning.

About 3:00 this morning I was woken up by what sounded like a Giant pressure relief valve opening and closing. Almost loud enough to rattle the windows but not quite. After a few minutes it stayed ON continuously. :o This went on for about 20 minutes.

Keep in mind that I live within 2 miles of 2 gas fired power plants and 1 Nuklear power plant. I jumped out of bed to see what was going on. Nothing on the radio, and luckily the sound was coming from the gas fired direction not the Nuke. There was a whole lot more than normal looking steam coming out of the gas fired plant too.

Not sure what happened, but at least we didn't have to evacuate! :what:

Stay healthy and safe everyone!
-Don

Toddburn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 983/ Hitzer 55
Coal Size/Type: Nut anthracite/pea
Other Heating: Heat pump/forced air

Post by Toddburn » Sat. Dec. 26, 2020 4:31 pm

Good afternoon guys. Crazy Christmas here all I did was work some crazy hours plowing and salting the roads. We only got about 5 inches but it never stopped. Missed dinner at the in-laws but leftovers were good. Bad news today had to put down my lab Wayne, 10 yrs old. Pretty much sucks. He was a good boy. So hard having pets when they get ill. Well gang have a good one.

Benny
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Koker lite- house. Reading- garage
Coal Size/Type: Rice
Other Heating: Oil

Post by Benny » Sun. Dec. 27, 2020 12:40 pm

So sorry to hear about your pup T, my Lab is 10 and I know when her time comes I will be a basket case !

BunkerdCaddis
Stoker Coal Boiler: Bairmatic-Van Wert
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Van Wert VW85H
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Saey Hanover II working when I feel the desire, Waterford 105 out on vacation, Surdiac Gotha hiding somewhere
Coal Size/Type: pea/nut/rice/stove-anthracite, nut/stove bit when I feel the urge
Other Heating: oil fired hydronic

Post by BunkerdCaddis » Sun. Dec. 27, 2020 4:48 pm

Toddburn wrote:
Sat. Dec. 26, 2020 4:31 pm
had to put down my lab Wayne, 10 yrs old. Pretty much sucks. He was a good boy. So hard having pets when they get ill.
Yeah, it does... I lost my Lab "Lady" Just after Christmas last year. She was 12, she would come over and sit next to me while I tended the coal fire and just watch. You know it's gonna happen but you never are ready for it.

Return to “The Coffee House”