Last Civil War Pensioner Died (Yes, the US Civil War)

warminmn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Junior, Riteway 37
Coal Size/Type: nut and stove anthracite, lignite
Other Heating: Wood and wear a wool shirt

Post by warminmn » Fri. Oct. 09, 2020 6:58 pm

Thought this was interesting but maybe its just me :lol:

155 years after the US Civil War ended the last pensioner has died. An interesting tidbit with history and war is how long after it ends that the dollars are still flowing. It wasnt long ago the last Confederate widow died too (that pension was not from the govt I dont think but from a Confederate group). Those old vets often married young southern ladies as the ladies had no way to make money but the old men had a pension so they married them and still had kids.

The last Union widows died about two? decades ago and received pensions I believe. They often married the old men for the same reasons but not all of them. There is interesting reading on them if you search for them, both Union and Confederate widows, especially the Buffalo Soldier widow and one of the last Confederate ones who married her stepson after outliving her husband. :lol:

Anyway, a link to the last child dying, at least the last one getting a pension. Perhaps others are still alive and not getting that. https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2020/0 ... 333830002/

Toddburn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 983/ Hitzer 55
Coal Size/Type: Nut anthracite/pea
Other Heating: Heat pump/forced air

Post by Toddburn » Fri. Oct. 09, 2020 7:02 pm

For sure, nice interesting little read. Thanks.

lincolnmania
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 350
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: reading allegheny stoker
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: alaska kodiak stoker 1986. 1987 triburner, 1987 crane diamond
Coal Size/Type: rice

Post by lincolnmania » Fri. Oct. 09, 2020 8:25 pm

wow interesting! had read about this yrs ago.

johnjoseph
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KA-6
Other Heating: pellet stove, oil boiler

Post by johnjoseph » Fri. Oct. 09, 2020 11:51 pm

Great post

hank2
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine 1400 WH ciculator; 1880's small cannon in reserve
Coal Size/Type: Nut
Other Heating: small New Yorker oil fired boiler; mostly used for domestic HW

Post by hank2 » Sat. Oct. 10, 2020 12:06 am

Great link! The last few civil war troops just passed in the 1950's. I worked for the VA for about the last 6 years of my working life. About 2007, I recall someone there making a claim that about 500 people were still getting civil war troop survivor pensions. No idea if that was accurate at the time. Some of those guys were married 5 or 6 times in their lives. American women's life expectancies were in the 30's. I'm guess that under some some circumstances, offspring received a pension. Like widows of KIA troops receive medical care from the VA.

warminmn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Junior, Riteway 37
Coal Size/Type: nut and stove anthracite, lignite
Other Heating: Wood and wear a wool shirt

Post by warminmn » Fri. Jan. 08, 2021 12:52 pm

Hmmm, every time they say the last widow died another one pops up. This one died a couple weeks ago. So she is the last one until another one admits it, if any are left. A short nice little story.
https://apnews.com/article/last-civil-war-widow-d ... f2ad1d1181

Return to “The Coffee House”