Coffee 8-1-2020

Freddy
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 130 (pea)
Coal Size/Type: Pea size, Superior, deep mined

Post by Freddy » Sat. Aug. 01, 2020 6:00 am

Good morning! Don't be shy.....come on in and join us for a good cup of Jo & a quick chat. Fresh wild bush blueberries to go on your favorite cereal this morning. Enjoy!

T'were a hot and busy week mingled with a tiny bit of excitement. On Thursday we had 2.01 inches of rain in 55 minutes. That's a lot! It certainly eroded things in the yard so I have a bit or maintenance to do. Then we had the first ever tornado warning for this area. One did not occur, but.... really? Maine? Very rare.

Yesterday the worlds largest airplane landed in Bangor. A bit of a secret as to why or what it's carrying, but a Antonov 255 came in at 1PM. Debbie & I sat in the back yard expecting it to come over head. It did the unexpected and cut things tight. It came within sight and I got one photo, but it came in close and made a sharp turn as it landed. Videos shows it still in a curve just a few hundred feet from the runway! Skip to 40 seconds in if you want. Youtube link:

Hope you all have a smooth weekend!

Attachments

Antonov.jpg

Pic from my back yard

.JPG | 42KB | Antonov.jpg

johnjoseph
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KA-6
Other Heating: pellet stove, oil boiler

Post by johnjoseph » Sat. Aug. 01, 2020 6:17 am

Blueberries are in season for sure and a great addition to any breakfast. That plane made the top news story across the state and is definitely impressive.

We had rain up here in the "County" throughout the week, but not all at once. We are seemingly on the fringe of exiting the drought we've been in thankfully. Local potato farmers are sharing that yields will most likely be lower this year due to the lack of rain. In the next 6 weeks if we get enough rain, the taters could size up as they should and reduce the excessive loss in yield they are predicting. Hopefully, all will work out.
Have a great weekend all!

Keepaeyeonit
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood #8
Coal Size/Type: Nut & stove
Other Heating: 49 year old oil furnace, and finally a new heat pump

Post by Keepaeyeonit » Sat. Aug. 01, 2020 6:50 am

Good morning friends, good as always Freddy!
Not much going today just working For the weekend guy so its 9 days straight after a nice long trip away from work :no1: , nice to see the heat has lifted now all i need is for the humidity to follow!
Have a good weekend people and enjoy.

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Sat. Aug. 01, 2020 6:55 am

Good morning. We are off to a Little League game this morning, and after that we need to start getting ready for our big camping trip. A whole convoy of us are going to Old Forge Campground next Tuesday, and the kids can't wait. I am not sure how we are going to fit everything in our car, but I guess that is part of the experience.

Toddburn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 983/ Hitzer 55
Coal Size/Type: Nut anthracite/pea
Other Heating: Heat pump/forced air

Post by Toddburn » Sat. Aug. 01, 2020 6:55 am

Good morning guys. Cool video Freddy. Rain coming in today here. I’m going to jar up some cold pack pickles and hot peppers and garlic in oil today. Other than that just some clean up around the house. Hope everyone has a great weekend!

KLook
Other Heating: Wishing it was cold enough for coal here....not really

Post by KLook » Sat. Aug. 01, 2020 8:06 am

Morning all, still got blueberries in the freezer from Maine, hard to use up a 30 lb bag....the best are the individually frozen ones from my land. Yummm Nice video Freddy, I was going into Orrington to the salvage yard one year and watched the Concord come over me. Bangor has the longest runway N of Cape Canaveral so it sees some interesting things.
Just plain humid for the last 2 weeks, it is going to let up this coming week. Thunderstorms daily but they hit such a small area that most of the region is very dry. Water temp is over 90 in some coves, and mid 80's in deeper water. Almost not worth jumping in!

Enjoy the weather, fall is on the doorstep up North.

Kevin

Forgot to mention, thanks to gaw for a call this week, and a card came in the snail mail. Wishing me a happy bday. I must mention that you should see the penmanship on this card and envelope.....thing of the past for sure. Thanks gaw!
Last edited by KLook on Sat. Aug. 01, 2020 8:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Hambden Bob
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Harman 1998 Magnum Stoker
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Blower Model Coal Chubby 1982-Serial#0097
Coal Size/Type: Rice-A-Roni ! / Nut
Other Heating: Pro-Pain Forced Air

Post by Hambden Bob » Sat. Aug. 01, 2020 8:09 am

Good Morning,Coal Co-Dependants!
Hard to believe that things will flip and Winter will come after this now past Hot July! Managed to stay out on the Bay for a week and a half so far!
That FFred has appropriately labeled me a complete slacker! I have taken being useless to new heights! Not to worry! I'm taking the rest of this year to figure out what I want to be when I grow up!! So far,nothings coming to mind!! As for the rest of You Coal Crunchers,stay loose!

Freddy
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 130 (pea)
Coal Size/Type: Pea size, Superior, deep mined

Post by Freddy » Sat. Aug. 01, 2020 8:55 am

KLook wrote: Bangor has the longest runway N of Cape Canaveral so it sees some interesting things.
Sure does! I was Dow Air force base before it became a public airport. I've been told it's the only place on the Eastern coast that NASA could land the Shuttle if ever needed.... but it was never needed.

One of the big thrills of my life was accidentally catching the Concord take off back in '96 or 7. I had just parked at the Red Cross blood center at the end of the runway. As I opened the car door I heard a ROAR. I turned to see the beast about 500 feet from my eyeballs. It was in the air, but just barely gaining altitude. It wallowed as it went forward. As it wallowed left & right I could see the pilot, he was wallowing with it to keep it straight! My ears still ring a little bit from that day. ;)

johnjoseph
Other Heating: pellet stove, oil boiler

Post by johnjoseph » Sat. Aug. 01, 2020 8:56 am

"Bangor has the longest runway N of Cape Canaveral"

Previous to Loring AFB closing, it maintained a runway that was 1400 ft longer than BIA runway. Just a bit of trivia FWIW.

CapeCoaler
Stoker Coal Boiler: want AA130
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine BS#4, Harman MKII, Hitzer 503,...
Coal Size/Type: Pea/Nut/Stove

Post by CapeCoaler » Sat. Aug. 01, 2020 10:41 am

Just trying to relax surrounded by the tourists...
LOL...
Avoiding sharks at the beach in the sunset hours but it is the only time the beach is less crowded...
Tomato plants survived but too hot to play with in the heat...
I did setup the swing/playset in the shade of the oak trees best decision of the year...
No trees in the landing/fall zone...
Thinking about refurbing the Hitzer but too hot to move that lump of steel yet...
They did manage to snap my freezer defrost heater, quartz tube, in half that I had ordered to fix the backup fridge...
Keeping an eye on the baby hurricane the projected path hits "Da Cape"...
Might stock up on some gas so the storm will fully dissipate before it gets here...

StokerDon
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Gentleman Janitor GJ-5, Van Wert VA-600, Axeman Anderson130 X3.
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Harman SF3500 reduced down to 3 grates connected to its own plenum
Coal Size/Type: Rice, Chestnut and whatever will fit through the door on the Harman
Other Heating: Noth'in but COAL! Well, Maybe a little tiny bit of wood

Post by StokerDon » Sat. Aug. 01, 2020 11:02 am

Morning all!

Freddy, thanks for the breakfast and the aviation update. That thing has so much landing gear it looks like a huge centipede with wings!

I will be doing some work on the car today. Got the inspection stickers on it yesterday, so now it's legal! :D The Van Wert in the basement is just humming along effortlessly.

Stay safe and healthy everyone!
-Don

gaw
Coal Size/Type: Rice from Schuylkill County

Post by gaw » Sat. Aug. 01, 2020 12:09 pm

We made it to the weekend and I don't need to work either so an added bonus. It was a beautiful morning so I took a 33 mile trek on the bike through the local farmland. Now I have to groom the weeds. It has been hot with some showers but not a lot of moisture. Tomorrow they are calling for rain showers all day but I don't know how much we will get as far as inches of rain.

It's hard to believe it's August already, where did this God forsaken year go? Even with the COVID 19 BS this year has flew by.

We did a sight seeing flight out of NH a few years ago and the pilot said that they could land the space shuttle there as well. I think that was Pease AFB at one time.

H-Bob, I always thought a drunken bum would be a good choice for retirement.

Thanks KLook, I'm glad the pony express didn't let me down. Good chatting with you.

Everyone be safe and enjoy, 'till next time.

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Sat. Aug. 01, 2020 3:54 pm

Real late Mornin all, lots of stuff to get done before Wed surgery--I got most of it, at least all I can do today. Momma will be back tomorrow after 10 days visitin kids & grandkids. WE split ALL chores, horses, dogs, yard work, etc. I worked today till I can hardly walk--soooo, were done. She really helps keep the old homestead goin & when I'm in the hospital she carry's the whole load. She's an old biker babe & tough, sometimes to tough for her own good!! LOL Oh well, time to feed dogs & horses. Enjoy people. :)

gaw
Coal Size/Type: Rice from Schuylkill County

Post by gaw » Sat. Aug. 01, 2020 4:14 pm

Visions of whips, chains, and leather but this is the coffee house so we'll leave it at that. It's good to have a good one though. Hoping all goes well Wednesday.

hotblast1357
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1984 Eshland S260 coal gun
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh anthracite pea
Other Heating: air source heat pump, oil furnace

Post by hotblast1357 » Sat. Aug. 01, 2020 8:20 pm

johnjoseph wrote:
Sat. Aug. 01, 2020 8:56 am
"Bangor has the longest runway N of Cape Canaveral"

Previous to Loring AFB closing, it maintained a runway that was 1400 ft longer than BIA runway. Just a bit of trivia FWIW.

Hmm you’ve got 350’ on ours.. Plattsburgh Air Force base, now known as Plattsburgh international airport is 11,758’ long concrete, and could also land the space shuttle.
Last edited by hotblast1357 on Sun. Aug. 02, 2020 4:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “The Coffee House”