Underground Electric Facility ???

grumpy

Post by grumpy » Sun. Jul. 26, 2020 7:54 pm

Miss dig came out to mark utility's as I'm putting in a driveway. Came home to find a red flag on my driveway. Been here 30 years, have Aerial photos from 1938. What are they talking about, as far as I know they did not bury power lines back then so what did they flag? What ever it is it , if anything, must have been abandon long ago.

I'll call tomorrow and try to find out whats going on...

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Mon. Jul. 27, 2020 7:44 am

Might be for an old phone line, or just marking the area that needs to be checked. Digsafe is notorious for having outdated maps.

I just had some excavation work done and neither Digsafe or the power company even showed up. I have an underground electrical service, and apparently that means it is my problem starting at the pole.

hotblast1357
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1984 Eshland S260 coal gun
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh anthracite pea
Other Heating: air source heat pump, oil furnace

Post by hotblast1357 » Mon. Jul. 27, 2020 9:21 pm

Rob R. wrote:
Mon. Jul. 27, 2020 7:44 am
I just had some excavation work done and neither Digsafe or the power company even showed up. I have an underground electrical service, and apparently that means it is my problem starting at the pole.
Did you ever give them a map or information to create a map when you installed your underground electrical?

And yes, anything we install, is our problem, think about water lines from wells, septic systems, drainage pipes..

Heck I’ve got so much buried here already in 3 years I’ve already hit one of my drainage lines lol

grumpy

Post by grumpy » Mon. Jul. 27, 2020 10:21 pm

Rob R. wrote:
Mon. Jul. 27, 2020 7:44 am
Might be for an old phone line, or just marking the area that needs to be checked. Digsafe is notorious for having outdated maps.

Yeah, I didn't call yet but remembered it is an old phone line no longer used, hope the driveway guys don't freak out when they see it.

Rob R.
Site Moderator

Post by Rob R. » Mon. Jul. 27, 2020 11:14 pm

hotblast1357 wrote:
Mon. Jul. 27, 2020 9:21 pm
Did you ever give them a map or information to create a map when you installed your underground electrical?

And yes, anything we install, is our problem, think about water lines from wells, septic systems, drainage pipes..

Heck I’ve got so much buried here already in 3 years I’ve already hit one of my drainage lines lol
My electrical entrance was installed in 1978. I had a rough idea of were it was, but the excavation guys just started by the meter and followed it. Looked like the install was done by hand as the wires went around every rock.

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Mon. Jul. 27, 2020 11:29 pm

Oh those darn glaciers.

For the lines out to my shop building I put mine in pipe, but not the phone lines because I was worried about call interference having them in the same pipe. Then there was frost heave. Didn't bother the power lines because of the pipe,... but the phone line is another story. The good news is,... now no one bugs me with phone calls while I'm working.

Paul

hotblast1357
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1984 Eshland S260 coal gun
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh anthracite pea
Other Heating: air source heat pump, oil furnace

Post by hotblast1357 » Tue. Jul. 28, 2020 6:21 am

All my power wiring is underground from the pole, roughly 700’ at 4-6’ deep.

I really should make up a map for here, there’s a lot in the ground everywhere and I keep expanding.

Rob R.
Site Moderator

Post by Rob R. » Tue. Jul. 28, 2020 6:50 am

hotblast1357 wrote:
Tue. Jul. 28, 2020 6:21 am
All my power wiring is underground from the pole, roughly 700’ at 4-6’ deep.

I really should make up a map for here, there’s a lot in the ground everywhere and I keep expanding.
Definitely. I have a plot plan that shows all the buildings and stuff, so I just added detail for the buried electric and water.

Return to “The Coffee House”