OK, What On Earth Is This For?

coaledsweat
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260M
Coal Size/Type: Pea

Post by coaledsweat » Tue. May. 19, 2020 5:14 pm

Huge jug, screw on cap with a spring loaded hook on the cap. I know one of you wizards has seen grandma use one or you are hooked on collecting them.🙂

What is it?
image0000001(3).jpg
.JPG | 390.3KB | image0000001(3).jpg

Attachments

image0000001(2).jpg
.JPG | 371.8KB | image0000001(2).jpg
IMG_20200519_170947_021.jpg
.JPG | 271.4KB | IMG_20200519_170947_021.jpg

warminmn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Junior, Riteway 37
Coal Size/Type: nut and stove anthracite, lignite
Other Heating: Wood and wear a wool shirt

Post by warminmn » Tue. May. 19, 2020 6:31 pm

Theres a name for those containers but Im drawing a blank right now, but possibly for wine making.

bambooboy
Baseburners & Antiques: imperial ringgold
Other Heating: woodstock soapstone,comfort,fisher,federal,fairy oak

Post by bambooboy » Tue. May. 19, 2020 7:06 pm

warminmn wrote:
Tue. May. 19, 2020 6:31 pm
Theres a name for those containers but Im drawing a blank right now, but possibly for wine making.
That would be my guess also,back in the early 60's we would make wine using a similar type jug. Welsh's grape juice, yeast & i guess water. we would put a large balloon on for a lid. in a few days the balloon would blow up, when it went down wine was done. not as good as boones farm but drinkable.

gaw
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KA-6
Coal Size/Type: Rice from Schuylkill County

Post by gaw » Tue. May. 19, 2020 9:12 pm

warminmn wrote:
Tue. May. 19, 2020 6:31 pm
The bottle is called a Carboy. I don't know if that top is an airlock or not.

cokehead

Post by cokehead » Tue. May. 19, 2020 9:45 pm

Last edited by cokehead on Tue. May. 19, 2020 9:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.

coaledsweat
Site Moderator

Post by coaledsweat » Tue. May. 19, 2020 9:49 pm

No, the top doesn't appear like it would seal. It's at my other house, my son found it in the back of a closet so I'm not sure whether it smells or not. I'll check on that. It's a really big bottle, 2-2 1/2 gallon. Whatever that hook is, it is spring loaded from inside the cap. It can't possibly seal with a hole in the cap. It maybe home made, it appears to have solder on the edge of the cap.

johnjoseph
Other Heating: pellet stove, oil boiler

Post by johnjoseph » Tue. May. 19, 2020 10:18 pm

Wild guess...maybe a cider jug...great gram used to talk about them. Apple cider added to jug till full...it hangs from a pole, by twine for about 60 to 75 days. The pole is in a dark cool place for the cider to ferment naturally. The cap is to release pressure to release gases from fermentation process. The spring loaded cap allows enough gases to release, so the container doesn't explode, but allows enough to stay in for a natural type fizz.

Great gram was born in 1909, she shared this with me in 1995. She passed 3 years later, but her mind was intact. She did not partake in spirit or the like....but, her father made 5he cider with apples from the farm and enough to last through the next processing time a year later.

I never saw a container like shown, I did see the pole that they hung from. It may not be the same, but her description sounds exactly like what has been shared.

coaledsweat
Site Moderator

Post by coaledsweat » Tue. May. 19, 2020 10:20 pm

From the last link.

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/cf/48/e1/cf48e1292 ... 69d84c.jpg

Not sure why mine is spring loaded.

Richard S.
Mayor
Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert VA1200
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/Anthracite

Post by Richard S. » Tue. May. 19, 2020 10:37 pm

The jugs for making wine have S contraption on the top filled with liquid, I think just water. You can see the gas moving through them. My aunt used to make a lot of wine and the apple was outstanding. Her father in law was superb, he had some crazy setup and the alcohol content was approaching distilled product. Back in my 20's my cousin moved nto tha home and we found this 5 gallon jug of it, drank it for the whole summer.

cokehead

Post by cokehead » Tue. May. 19, 2020 10:42 pm

Nice to see you Mayor.

Richard S.
Mayor

Post by Richard S. » Tue. May. 19, 2020 10:43 pm

bambooboy wrote:
Tue. May. 19, 2020 7:06 pm
Welsh's grape juice, yeast & i guess water.
My Grandmother showed me how to do this years ago, we only used plastic 1 gallon milk jug. I don't remember the exact recipe but it also included adding sugar, a lot of it I remember correctly. I was skeptical to say the least especially with just leaving it out but It wasn't bad.

Richard S.
Mayor

Post by Richard S. » Tue. May. 19, 2020 10:51 pm

cokehead wrote:
Tue. May. 19, 2020 10:42 pm
Nice to see you Mayor.
Nice to see you too... funny story. I haven't set up hard wired phone line yet and both of my rechargeable phones went dead. Nobody could get a hold of me for about two days so everyone in the family thought..... :D My cousin came over to check on me and he was certain he was going to find me dead. Got the phone recharged and there was spate of about 30 phone calls, even from my one aunt in NC. LOL

cokehead

Post by cokehead » Tue. May. 19, 2020 11:02 pm

If my phone was dead I'd know it in about 20 minutes. Sounds like they care about you.

Several years ago I had been snorkeling in a "onezee" wet suit. When I got out of it I put it on a hanger and hung it from the mast of my sailboat to drip dry. It gave the harbor master a fright. He thought I hung myself!
Last edited by cokehead on Tue. May. 19, 2020 11:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

johnjoseph
Other Heating: pellet stove, oil boiler

Post by johnjoseph » Tue. May. 19, 2020 11:04 pm

cokehead wrote:
Tue. May. 19, 2020 11:02 pm
If my phone was dead I'd know it in about 20 minutes. Sounds like they care about you.

Several years ago I had been snorkeling in a "onezee" wet suit. When I got out of it I put it on a hanger and hung it on the mast of my sailboat to drip dry. It gave the harbor master a fright. He thought I hung myself!
That is an eye opener....but I'm rolling from laughter.🤣

cokehead

Post by cokehead » Tue. May. 19, 2020 11:28 pm

So long as we are off topic.....I had been off on my boat with my wife for a long weekend. I had put the boat at the mooring and had unloaded all the "stuff" that needed to go home with us. Before we had left for the night I realized that I had forgotten a few doughnuts on the dinette. So I went back down to the shore, took the Zodiac back out to the boat, retrieved the half stale belly bombs, jumped back into the Zodiac and started the engine but....I started it in gear and lost my balance as it learched forward. Then I reached back to lower the throttle but knocked it on full throttle instead and rolled right off the stern into the water. With nothing but a few doughnuts that boat got right up on a plane and raced across the harbor without me. It made a few acrobatic maneuvers and then made a sweeping curve a hell'n right into an empty slip on a floating dock at a yacht club. It bounce of the dock and then kept trying to "jump" out of the water onto the dock. One side of the hull got holed and started to deflate. Someone at the yacht club jumped into it and shut the engine down. In the mean time I had climbed out of the water onto my sailboat. I waved the launch operator over to give me a lift over to the dock so I could recover my zodiac. I asked what I owed him. He said, "Nothing, the entertainment value was enough." So I got back in my Zodiac and got back to where I belonged. At least I had the doughnuts....the stale donuts. I walked back up the hill to where my wife was and she didn't have a clue what happened. She thought I was just playing around out there.

Return to “The Coffee House”