Coffee 5-16-2020

Freddy
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 130 (pea)
Coal Size/Type: Pea size, Superior, deep mined

Post by Freddy » Sat. May. 16, 2020 6:05 am

Well, another week & the coffee is just as good as always. Come in & enjoy! Blueberries are running short so these blueberry pancakes are special. Toss in a chunk of breakfast meat if you need the extra fat to get you through!

OK... finally, it's looking like this week may be shut-down week for the Axeman Anderson. It's the first week this year with no frost in the forecast. What a long cold wet Spring! Just as it was starting to dry up a bit, we got almost an inch of rain last night. Sheesh!

Hope you all are staying safe & strong. Forward we go!

NoSmoke
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: New Yoker WC90
Baseburners & Antiques: Woods and Bishop Antique Pot Bellied Stove
Coal Size/Type: Stove/Nut/Pea Anthracite
Other Heating: Munchkin LP Boiler/Englander Pellet Stove/Perkins 4.108 Cogeneration diesel

Post by NoSmoke » Sat. May. 16, 2020 6:24 am

Well I was on the front lines of Black Swan yesterday, so I will probably get it now.

Many of you know...or seem to know...or have at least seen a lot of Katie, and last night she had to have emergency surgery for a Kidney stone. She is stabilized now, but has to go for real Kidney surgery soon.

In going from hospital to hospital it is funny how different hospitals react. Belfast would not let the Chairman of the CDC in their hospital, and the dude would have to wait outside in his car. Bangor on the other hand, would let 1000 sick covid people right in their front door without so much as a word. Rockland hospital is somewhere in the middle, and seems to be the most sane of the hospitals dealing with this.

More tractor tire changing for me today, and caring for Katie and keeping the kids from asking anything of their mother. Trying to do that is like pushing a chain.

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Sat. May. 16, 2020 6:33 am

Mornin all, first off--for all of us that have or do serve--Happy Armed Forces Day. Outstanding b-fast choice Freddy--thank you. Yep, this week might be shut down time. Still gonna have Amish neighbor fill coal buckets--who knows, better safe then sorry. Ah yes---tilling garden area also--or rather--neighbor will do the tilling! :) Mowed yesterday before the monsoons hit!! LOL Ran in to another Wheel Horse 312-8--twin to the one I already have & in better shape--couldn't pass up the $200.00 asking price -- he might also be interested in my OLD Yamaha Warrior 350 which I NEVER use--soooo, maybe an even swap???? Enjoy the week-end people. :) Prayers headed your way N!!!
Last edited by freetown fred on Sat. May. 16, 2020 7:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Keepaeyeonit
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood #8
Coal Size/Type: Nut & stove
Other Heating: 49 year old oil furnace, and finally a new heat pump

Post by Keepaeyeonit » Sat. May. 16, 2020 6:42 am

Good morning Freddy and company hope everyone is doing fine this AM?. Well maybe I can get to my Fridays to do list today as a small water leak on the well line turned into a 8 hr job with a new pressure tank and fittings :x ,well like always any time you mess with s--- that has been in the same place for years it usually never ends like you think.

Ohio is going to open up the campgrounds next Thursday for us weekenders ( which was the day I was starting my Memorial Day weekend anyways :clap: ) we only canceled 1 trip in April so I can't complain about that to much, Now on to my list of things to do like mulch, a couple of things to do to the camper, load the firewood for next weekend, plus a few things that I'm sure will pop up that are not on the list :lol: . Ok friends take care, stay safe, and enjoy the day.

Thank you Mr Freetown Fred :yes: , I hope your wife gets better soon NS and without any other problems!!

CoalJockey
Verified Business Rep.
Stoker Coal Boiler: Several EFM 520 refurbs...one 900, one 1300 mega-stoker
Hand Fed Coal Stove: (2) Warm Morning Stoves

Post by CoalJockey » Sat. May. 16, 2020 6:51 am

Good morning Gents

Ya gotta have meat for breakfast Freddy, ya just gotta. It might be a written law someplace but who wants to take the time to look.

Well... the Winter that would not end might have finally lost its grip. We have gone from freezing in the mornings to 80’s yesterday afternoon all in the span of a few days. I would like nothing more now than to pack the long Johns and Carhartt coats away until late October. Amazing how a little shot of nice weather actually makes a guy feel like getting out and working.

There are a few trucks to wash up this morning and maybe a late load of lime to go spread but thankfully I have reached the end of it for awhile. We have several outdoor projects started with some flower beds and flagstone sidewalks that we can work on later in the day.

I was given another project last evening, one I am very excited about — Brittany informed me that my Fathers Day gift will be coming early this year. Apparently on Monday ABF Freight will be dropping off a single piece 25’ bronze finish commercial-grade flagpole for the house... complete with an American flag and PA State flag. This is something I’ve wanted for many years and she was able to pull it off without me knowing. I would like to have it up for Memorial Day but that may be a stretch. Stay tuned.

Have a great week.

johnjoseph
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KA-6
Other Heating: pellet stove, oil boiler

Post by johnjoseph » Sat. May. 16, 2020 7:16 am

Fresh poached eggs, homemade oatmeal bread for toast, fresh smoked bacon and fried taters here. No coffee here for the better part of 10 years. I added something new for breakfast of which I haven't had in over 34 years. Fresh whole milk! Smooth, creamy and not processed. Sure does taste great with some black raspberry jam on that toast! All done on crutches. 😁
My agenda for today is shot. On crutches since Wednesday evening. Regular evening walk with the dogs proved to be a disaster. Stepped out the door and had the dogs sit on the upper landing of the steps; they are both trained to do this and are exceptional at doing so. I got down to the second step from the bottom and gave the command to go.
The youngest, a 90 pound, 2.25 yr old English Labradoodle, jumped off the landing and knocked me forward into a true glorious face plant. A criminal couldn't have attacked from behind and done a better job. Both dogs, my oldest is 15.5 yrs old, sat in front of me waiting for me to get up. I laid there for a couple minutes and the younger dog starts nosing at me and whimpering, sat down and started barking. I thought to myself, holy crap, the 8k spent on his training as a service dog worked. I went to get up and back to the ground. I tried again but with my left leg instead, but the pain in my right ankle was bad. I crawled up the steps, back into the house and crawled to my basement entry and grabbed the crutches. Of course both dogs right behind me. Mind you, this isn't the first time I've had issues with that right foot. It has always given me issues since an injury in the military.
I knew what was wrong, it's happened nearly a dozen times in 30 years; torn ligaments and tendons to the left and right of each ankle, in the front of my foot. Basically, I caught my foot in the front and bent straight backwards. When it occurred 30 years ago., the ligaments and tendons ripped and detached; surgically reattached and 3 months recovery and 6 month of therapy and light duty. Doc told me then I'd have been better off breaking my ankle. He said this will give you problems for the rest of your life here and there. He wasn't wrong. But, none of those times since was nearly as bad as that initial injury. So, icing every half hour for ten minutes, keep elevated. Do your a, b, c's with you foot as if your toe was the pencil, 4 times daily and wait for 4 weeks and back to normal.
Ya, it's swollen to the size of a small cantaloupe. At night it goes down about half and it is turning all different colors of black and blue.
Not nearly as bad as FF or CN's medical issues, but I get that as you age things don't heal as quickly.
Any how, enjoy your day folks. Be safe, healthy and happy!🙂
Last edited by johnjoseph on Sat. May. 16, 2020 7:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

D-frost
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman MK ll
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Yukon Eagle I (multi-fuel oil, wood/coal)
Baseburners & Antiques: Herald 'fireside oak'
Coal Size/Type: nut/stove-Blaschak/Lehigh

Post by D-frost » Sat. May. 16, 2020 7:18 am

Mornin'
Happy Armed Forces Day to the warriors, young & old..........and with that, a cuppa of Freddy's famous coffee. A nice sunny Saturday to watch the grass grow.
NASCAR....Darlington, 4 PM on the TV(FOX). Nobody in the stands cheering........oh well, let's hope for a good race. Stay healthy everyone.
Cheers

Toddburn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 983/ Hitzer 55
Coal Size/Type: Nut anthracite/pea
Other Heating: Heat pump/forced air

Post by Toddburn » Sat. May. 16, 2020 7:23 am

Good morning fellows. No Smoke hope your wife gets back to herself soon. Mowing here today, chicken coop clean up, and hopefully try and get the tiller in the garden. Lots of rain coming early week. But at least the cold weather seems to have run out of time. Everyone have a great weekend!

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Sat. May. 16, 2020 7:45 am

Good morning everyone. sorry to hear about the injuries, hopefully everyone is back on their feet soon. I think breakfast is going to be eggs and bagels at our house. The chickens have been averaging 7 eggs per day, and are about 3 dozen ahead of us. I took some bagels out of the freezer last night, so we should be good to go.

Tyler - my mom and dad put up a flagpole a few years ago. Shortly after they went away about about a week, and my brother replace their NYS flat with a pirate flag (skull and crossbones). I have no idea where he got it, but my mom sure was not impressed when she got home. Dad had a good laugh.

In other news, my water repiping project has started. I am running the new piping in a different orientation than the old, so I will be able to have most of the pipe installed before I have to make the final connections and switch the house over. The goal is to eliminate some old galvanized piping and to improve the flow when multiple bathrooms are being used.

Hambden Bob
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Harman 1998 Magnum Stoker
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Blower Model Coal Chubby 1982-Serial#0097
Coal Size/Type: Rice-A-Roni ! / Nut
Other Heating: Pro-Pain Forced Air

Post by Hambden Bob » Sat. May. 16, 2020 7:54 am

Good Morning,My Fellow Coal Curmudgdeons!
Right off the top,I see the Sick List keeps happening! According to the Law of Averages,this too shall pass! I sincerely Hope for All to Recover!
As far as me and Mine are concerned,We are Good,and Fortunate for how We Stand in these Times! We can do this!

johnjoseph

Post by johnjoseph » Sat. May. 16, 2020 8:03 am

Rob R. wrote:
Sat. May. 16, 2020 7:45 am
Good morning everyone. sorry to hear about the injuries, hopefully everyone is back on their feet soon. I think breakfast is going to be eggs and bagels at our house. The chickens have been averaging 7 eggs per day, and are about 3 dozen ahead of us. I took some bagels out of the freezer last night, so we should be good to go.

Tyler - my mom and dad put up a flagpole a few years ago. Shortly after they went away about about a week, and my brother replace their NYS flat with a pirate flag (skull and crossbones). I have no idea where he got it, but my mom sure was not impressed when she got home. Dad had a good laugh.

In other news, my water repiping project has started. I am running the new piping in a different orientation than the old, so I will be able to have most of the pipe installed before I have to make the final connections and switch the house over. The goal is to eliminate some old galvanized piping and to improve the flow when multiple bathrooms are being used.
Our flock of 40 is a averaging 32 to 36 daily now...unfortunately my mom will have to collect, clean and package. She already does delivery and collect the proceeds! I hope the heck she doesn't fall....I took over the collection portion 2 years ago when she fell coming out of the coop. I guess it's tit for tat at this point.

StokerDon
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Gentleman Janitor GJ-5, Van Wert VA-600, Axeman Anderson130 X3.
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Harman SF3500 reduced down to 3 grates connected to its own plenum
Coal Size/Type: Rice, Chestnut and whatever will fit through the door on the Harman
Other Heating: Noth'in but COAL! Well, Maybe a little tiny bit of wood

Post by StokerDon » Sat. May. 16, 2020 9:12 am

Morning all,

Sorry to hear about the kidney troubles and torn up ligaments. Hope everyone recovers soon.

Yesterday it was in the mid 80's, sunny, HOT and Humid. Working on the car in the garage with the Axeman yesterday was tough. As a consolation, the fire was out when I got up this morning, not sure what happened. I think we'll wait until late afternoon to re-light it.

Stay healthy and safe everyone!
-Don

gaw
Coal Size/Type: Rice from Schuylkill County

Post by gaw » Sat. May. 16, 2020 1:00 pm

'Afternoon folks, I am on the road and working. Woke up in Aberdeen, MD because Clorox company was slow and behind. Everyone needs their products these days, go figure. The upshot is I got to have a scrapple egg and cheese on a biscuit this morning at Royal Farms. :clap:

Well I got to get back at it, everyone be safe and hope the ailing get well soon.

johnjoseph

Post by johnjoseph » Sat. May. 16, 2020 1:24 pm

gaw wrote:
Sat. May. 16, 2020 1:00 pm
'Afternoon folks, I am on the road and working. Woke up in Aberdeen, MD because Clorox company was slow and behind. Everyone needs their products these days, go figure. The upshot is I got to have a scrapple egg and cheese on a biscuit this morning at Royal Farms. :clap:

Well I got to get back at it, everyone be safe and hope the ailing get well soon.
Be safe out there on the road. I have to ask though and anyone can answer....what is scrapple? I got lots of the southern food things down in the military... it that's a new term for me. Hoping it's kinda like a fatty pork thing....that would be good with the egg and cheese biscuit.

Benny
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Koker lite- house. Reading- garage
Coal Size/Type: Rice
Other Heating: Oil

Post by Benny » Sat. May. 16, 2020 3:22 pm

Good afternoon all, what the heck I’m not hanging out with you guys anymore. I’ve been on crutches sense Tuesday morning, friggin gout. Real scrapple is a lot of innards and unspeakable stuff, I only had fake stuff all fillers. Everyone heal up by next week be safe!

Return to “The Coffee House”