Coffee 5-9-2020

Freddy
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 130 (pea)
Coal Size/Type: Pea size, Superior, deep mined

Post by Freddy » Sat. May. 09, 2020 6:16 am

Good day Fellow Coal Burners! Yup.... coal is burning this morning for sure. 32* and snow! They say 2 to 5 inches before noon. Really?

Come right in, The Coffee House is open, even if it's snowing in May. Hot coffee, good friends, it just doesn't get better. Did someone mention leftover biscuits? OK! Let's fry some up & add in some fresh eggs & home made corned beef hash.

I gave the front lawn it's first mowing yesterday. It was taller than it looked, but the Toro Z-turn didn't seem to care. It looks good. Todays plan, granting that we actually get 3 inches of wet snow: In between bread rising and baking, Snow angels, and a (grass covered) snow man. And if we get 4 inches, a snowmobile ride around the back field. Crank up the fun meter!

Hope you all are staying safe & healthy. Hug your loved ones & forward we go!

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Sat. May. 09, 2020 6:33 am

Mornin all, Freddy, gonna leave some Habbersetts (sp I'm sure) scrabble---I know--it's from Pa but I'm thinkin it's the best. :) 24* & sunny this AM & a lil dustin of white--gotta fill coal buckets--waitin for a deck belt for the old Wheel Horse-- seems like no need to hurry!!! LOL Got new AT tires for road truck--have them put on Mon & then alignment Wed. roads around here are hard on a vehicle. Oh well, life goes on. :) Enjoy the week-end people.

CoalJockey
Verified Business Rep.
Stoker Coal Boiler: Several EFM 520 refurbs...one 900, one 1300 mega-stoker
Hand Fed Coal Stove: (2) Warm Morning Stoves

Post by CoalJockey » Sat. May. 09, 2020 6:51 am

Hi guys.

I must admit, getting out of bed was a tough one this morning. Not that I didn’t get enough sleep because I got that and then some, but I’ve just been in a very lazy mood lately. I blame it on the weather, yesterday it poured the rain again and most years we are working in short sleeves by now. It is barely 30* now and I will be digging the long johns back out... enough already!

There isn’t much going here today, we cleaned up most of the odd jobs this week. I was able to get some lime spread before the rain but it took a 15 hour day to do it. We will just see what unfolds for now.

Have a good one!

tsb
Stoker Coal Boiler: Binford 2000
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: LL Pioneer top vent
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Saey Hanover II
Baseburners & Antiques: Grander Golden Oak , Glenwood # 6
Coal Size/Type: All of them

Post by tsb » Sat. May. 09, 2020 6:56 am

Morning all. Well this weather took care of the bugs I was bitchn' about last Saturday. Because of the wind, we didn't have frost but we did have frozen drops from the rain last night. What a Spring we're having. It's supposed to blow like mad today so no long doggie walks. Stay safe and healthy.

johnjoseph
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KA-6
Other Heating: pellet stove, oil boiler

Post by johnjoseph » Sat. May. 09, 2020 7:15 am

Leftover steak and baked beans with some farm fresh eggs and homemade oatmeal bread. Hearty meal for my day of spring cleaning; windows first, then walls in kitchen, living room and bathroom, all kitchen cupboards empty and ready for a cleaning, then the outside of the cupboards. Then the floors tomorrow, that's a weekly deal.

We're expecting 6 to 10 inches of snow over the next 24 hours here....no big deal, we are still able to handle it. The town and state plow rigs are still rigged for snow removal and I got my John Deere 30 hp tractor with a blower and bucket to clear a path just for safety purposes. Can't use the 2017 F350 ...the ground is to soft.
Sons are coming over tomorrow for the afternoon and an evening meal. I got a nice beef roast from a local farmer, as well as russet potatoes (free) and some fresh broccoli from local farm that also grows produce in Florida. Adding some.e homemade rolls to it and a nice strawberry rhubarb pie. It's always a pleasure on Sundays when the boys come to visit!

Have a great day! Be safe, well and healthy!

Toddburn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 983/ Hitzer 55
Coal Size/Type: Nut anthracite/pea
Other Heating: Heat pump/forced air

Post by Toddburn » Sat. May. 09, 2020 7:31 am

Good morning fellows...corned beef hash mighty tasty, excellent choice Freddy, haven’t had that in awhile. A balmy 28• here big warm up mid week. I’m gonna mow some grass today and clean up a few flower beds. Need to run to feed store to pick up some seed potatoes big shortage on kennabec this year go figure. So I guess it will be only reds getting planted. Hopefully I can get them in soon. Stay warm stay safe! Hope everyone enjoys time with mom tomorrow on Mother’s Day to anyone who has lost their mom remember the good thoughts!

samhill
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: keystoker 160
Hand Fed Coal Stove: hitzer 75 in garage

Post by samhill » Sat. May. 09, 2020 8:18 am

Good morning all, not much snow here but it's been windy for the last few days & is still 35 to 40 MPH gusts. Big thing here is township clean-up day except they are getting picky as to what they take. Still take one TV for free seeing how it's cheaper for them than sending a crew to fish one out of the swamp. I have a van full of mostly metal so that will make them happy, lousy weather but plans are made way ahead, glad they do the unloading. Take care & be safe!

Keepaeyeonit
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood #8
Coal Size/Type: Nut & stove
Other Heating: 49 year old oil furnace, and finally a new heat pump

Post by Keepaeyeonit » Sat. May. 09, 2020 8:21 am

Good morning friends, everyone awake yet? Well we managed to slip into PA for some camping this weekend and just like last time it snowed only we didn’t get 5”
image.jpg
.JPG | 1.4MB | image.jpg
but nevertheless we are having a good time as we all needed to get away.
We are hoping that the governor will open campgrounds before Memorial Day for us weekenders as he is allowing Seasonal campers to camp.
Work has slowed a bit but we are bidding some big jobs for this year( not as much as they would like but its better then nothing) but all in all we are doing fine, i hope all of you are doing ok as we have way to many people out of work.
Take care people and enjoy your weekend

D-frost
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman MK ll
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Yukon Eagle I (multi-fuel oil, wood/coal)
Baseburners & Antiques: Herald 'fireside oak'
Coal Size/Type: nut/stove-Blaschak/Lehigh

Post by D-frost » Sat. May. 09, 2020 8:32 am

Mornin'
Thank you for the coffee, Freddy. We have wind and light snow, not sticking to the ground, yet. Today is a good day to do nuthin', and think about what to do tomorrow.........

"Happy Mother's Day" to all you moms out there!!!!! Stay healthy, everyone.
Cheers

KLook
Other Heating: Wishing it was cold enough for coal here....not really

Post by KLook » Sat. May. 09, 2020 8:42 am

Cold, windy, egads......I am going to have to move further south....
I feel just like CJ today...lay in bed way to long...but it is going to warm up to the 60's so I will pick a project and work on it...80's next weekend. First mothers day without my mom. Try and enjoy the weekend everyone, summer has to come along sometime as well as an end to this insanity.

Kevin

StokerDon
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Gentleman Janitor GJ-5, Van Wert VA-600, Axeman Anderson130 X3.
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Harman SF3500 reduced down to 3 grates connected to its own plenum
Coal Size/Type: Rice, Chestnut and whatever will fit through the door on the Harman
Other Heating: Noth'in but COAL! Well, Maybe a little tiny bit of wood

Post by StokerDon » Sat. May. 09, 2020 8:48 am

Morning All,

About 32 degrees this morning here in the South and supper windy. That is pretty dern cold for this time of year. I even fired up the Harman yesterday. I burned some wood. Then when the wood was burnt down I decided to throw some coal on top. I think I'll keep it going til tomorrow.

Didn't make much progress on the coal fired tree stump burner last weekend. I did get some holes drilled in it. I have some 14" long masonry drills. Not ideal for stumps, but they are long. I drilled a bunch of 1/2" in the top and a 3/4" in from the side for air.
IMG_6034.JPG
.JPG | 572.1KB | IMG_6034.JPG
IMG_6035.JPG
.JPG | 543.7KB | IMG_6035.JPG
IMG_6036.JPG
.JPG | 708.1KB | IMG_6036.JPG
It's still pretty wet inside. The holes should help it dry out.

Stay healthy and safe everyone!
-Don

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Sat. May. 09, 2020 12:03 pm

Good morning everyone. I think the bleach has finally faded away enough for us to start drinking our water again. I shocked the well after having the pump replaced on Tuesday, and the water smelled like a public swimming pool for a few days. On the bright side, our whites look great and the washing machine has never smelled better.

32 degrees this morning with roaring wind and a few snowflakes, not a great day for outside chores. I went and got about 1000 lbs of 1's & dust to touch up the driveway and put around the workshop, shoveling that off was enough excitement for me.

Did you all remember that tomorrow is mother's day? I had my boys make a card for their mom, and I got her something that still needs to get wrapped.

johnjoseph
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KA-6
Other Heating: pellet stove, oil boiler

Post by johnjoseph » Sat. May. 09, 2020 12:16 pm

Good afternoon...update on snow...we've got about 5 inches so far.

Hambden Bob
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Harman 1998 Magnum Stoker
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Blower Model Coal Chubby 1982-Serial#0097
Coal Size/Type: Rice-A-Roni ! / Nut
Other Heating: Pro-Pain Forced Air

Post by Hambden Bob » Sat. May. 09, 2020 12:38 pm

Uh-Huh! The Weather's A Nice "Slap In Da' Face"!
On a Brighter note,whaddya doin' about it? Intriguing! Don't let this Trash bounce Ya' off Your Road! Thank God the Coffee's good! With that,All Things are Possible!!
Last edited by Hambden Bob on Sat. May. 09, 2020 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

buffalo bob
Hand Fed Coal Stove: hitzer 354 and a 254
Coal Size/Type: anthracite nut

Post by buffalo bob » Sat. May. 09, 2020 6:04 pm

good afternoon all well cold as hell here glad i kept the 354 running..that damn wind is a killer...had flurries here with a slight dusting..wow may 9th..missed breakfast again sorry sounded good luv hash...doing good here one more round of
kemo in my clean up be glad when that over...not sick just ultra tired..well take care all see ya next week,,,B.B. ,,,ps still one match...

Return to “The Coffee House”