Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Sun. May. 03, 2020 11:08 am

Damn, what about all the hungry families in SE Asia????????????????????? LOL

johnjoseph
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KA-6
Other Heating: pellet stove, oil boiler

Post by johnjoseph » Sun. May. 03, 2020 11:23 am

Thanks for the invite Bill. That's a fine spread you have and it just so happens that I have some Blackrasberry Jam to share. I mix it up with a variety of jams and jellies, but I also like some blackstrap molasses and honey on my biscuits. I still have about 4 pounds each of black raspberry's, red raspberry's, strawberries and blueberries left from last summer's haul of the property. The hardest ones to get of wild berries are the strawberries. They are small and you have to commit a lot of time to get them. I usually get my 4 pounds worth every other year from mid June to early July. Seems strawberrys only produce well every 2 years. I dont make up a lot of jams and jellies because it's just me here, so I use my frozen reserve to make it as needed. We have a lot of wild apple trees as well. I usually get 2 five gallons pails of those to prep. and freeze on a 2 year cycle as well. It all sounds like a lot of work, but for what I would pay for all of this produce I am happy to get it for my labor. I grow vegetables as well, right on my deck. Cucumbers, lettuce, green beans, wax beans, butternut squash, spinach and of course I grow my own herbs as well. That would be herbs you cook with not the herb that you smoke...lol. Although, I hear people are adding the wacky weed to some of their home made sweets. I only grow a bigger garden about every 3rd season now, as my canned and frozen vegetables last a long time now after the boys have grown and moved on. We still have our big Sunday meal together nearly weekly, but doesn't deplete my stores enough to grow a garden like I used to. I will say the boys look forward to the Sunday meal, as the love fresh grown and homemade feasts. For meats I usually have moose and deer on hand as a beef replacement, probably 50 or so partridge (grouse)breasts, we also call them ditch chickens, 4 or so wild turkeys (we butcher them up into portions), 1 butchered pig from the Amish. 50 combined combination of wild caught trout and salmon and some bear meat which I have ground into burger and use for chili, tacos and anything that calls for ground beef. I
I have 50 chickens and 2 roosters, so I have plenty of eggs for myself, mum, brother and the boys. The rest is sold and pays for feed, fencing re po airs and the like. All in all, I pretty much live off the land as much as I can. I do buy milk from the store, bread from the Amish in the summer and I make my own in the winter, Amish butter is a must cause I'm partial to having homemade as that is what I grew up with. We didn't have a fancy churn, but my dad would give us each a 2/3 full mason jar every Saturday morning while watching PBS and he showed us how to spin the mason jar to make butter. It sounds odd, but it worked. Anyhow, you all have a great day.

Hoytman
Location: swOH near a little town where the homes are mobile and the cars aren’t
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 354
Coal Size/Type: nut coal
Other Heating: electric, wood, oil

Post by Hoytman » Sun. May. 03, 2020 11:42 am

Got the black strap molasses and dark honey covered. I’ll get it for ya’, it’s in the cupboard. Biscuits are still warm under the towel. Those stone baking dishes hold heat for an hour or more keeping the biscuits warm as long as you keep a heavy towel over it.

Moose, bear, deer, trout, birds...that’s it. I’m movin’. Wish we had all that around here. A man don’t need much with all that and a little space for a garden, apples, and some berries. That would be the berries!!!!👍

Which reminds me, I’ve got to get two or three apple trees and cut these three down. They’re about 50 years old now and starting to deteriorate a bit. I’m thinking Honeycrisp and another for pollination.

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Sun. May. 03, 2020 12:20 pm

That property you're lookin for will show itself when ya least expect it Billy. Just live right & good stuff happens--hell, ya woke up suckin air--there's a good gift from the Creator for starters!! :)

Hoytman
Location: swOH near a little town where the homes are mobile and the cars aren’t

Post by Hoytman » Sun. May. 03, 2020 1:00 pm

You better believe it is, Fred!

johnjoseph

Post by johnjoseph » Sun. May. 03, 2020 1:13 pm

Bill...you don't have any wild game in your area. I know you must have turkey, grouse, deer and you must have catfish. I love catfish, but I haven't had it in 27 years. We have trout and salmon as I shared earlier. We do have perch and bass in lakes south an hour south of here, but I'm not going to travel for them cause they aren't as tasty as what I can catch in from a local brook, stream or river within a 5 to 20 minute drive.

Hoytman

Post by Hoytman » Sun. May. 03, 2020 3:24 pm

johnjoseph wrote:
Sun. May. 03, 2020 1:13 pm
Bill...you don't have any wild game in your area. I know you must have turkey, grouse, deer and you must have catfish. I love catfish, but I haven't had it in 27 years. We have trout and salmon as I shared earlier. We do have perch and bass in lakes south an hour south of here, but I'm not going to travel for them cause they aren't as tasty as what I can catch in from a local brook, stream or river within a 5 to 20 minute drive.
Deer and turkey...no grouse near us. There’s a few quail, but I volunteered too many events and habitat projects to hunt them.

Been fishing all my life. I have caught catfish fishing for bass, crappie, walleye, and bass. Have went fishing strictly for catfish at least a dozen times and have never intentionally caught one. Dangdest thing I’ve ever seen.

Used to take big chubs to the pay lakes to meet and fish with my great uncle and he would wear me out. Even traded me fishing poles and he’d end up catching something on my pole, but I never did catch any. Thirty, fourth pounders too. I told him to keep it up and I’d met everyone he caught for him. It got to the point the only reason for me to go was to supply him with my creek chubs. LOL!

We fish a lot at Lake Erie for walleye and perch, smallmouth bass, and even keep a few big white bass. As long as you catch a mess of white bass, don’t leave them in the cooler too long, and get off the lake and clean them real quick, they’re actually pretty good. Leave them in the cooler on ice too long and they get so mushy that you can’t even filet them.

I hunt some doves, and ducks and geese. Every now and then I’ll jump a woodcock. East of me a few hours in hill country there may be a few grouse. Would love to shoot a few, but I’m afraid I’d miss them. Doves are hard enough to shoot for me. Although the 935 improved my success ratio quite a bit.

If we had rainbow around here in streams that’s all I’d fish for. I love them grilled and peppered. They stock a local 50 acre lake, but I can’t catch them. Most guys use corn and such but I’ve never had any luck.

Believe it not I have 3 fly rods and never used any of them. Bought them to fish streams in Tennessee and haven’t been back since I bought them.

KLook
Other Heating: Wishing it was cold enough for coal here....not really

Post by KLook » Sun. May. 03, 2020 6:26 pm

I would imagine those Tenn streams are up in the N East.....Bristol, Johnson City....

Kevin

johnjoseph

Post by johnjoseph » Sun. May. 03, 2020 6:41 pm

Hoytman wrote:
Sun. May. 03, 2020 3:24 pm
Deer and turkey...no grouse near us. There’s a few quail, but I volunteered too many events and habitat projects to hunt them.

Been fishing all my life. I have caught catfish fishing for bass, crappie, walleye, and bass. Have went fishing strictly for catfish at least a dozen times and have never intentionally caught one. Dangdest thing I’ve ever seen.

Used to take big chubs to the pay lakes to meet and fish with my great uncle and he would wear me out. Even traded me fishing poles and he’d end up catching something on my pole, but I never did catch any. Thirty, fourth pounders too. I told him to keep it up and I’d met everyone he caught for him. It got to the point the only reason for me to go was to supply him with my creek chubs. LOL!

We fish a lot at Lake Erie for walleye and perch, smallmouth bass, and even keep a few big white bass. As long as you catch a mess of white bass, don’t leave them in the cooler too long, and get off the lake and clean them real quick, they’re actually pretty good. Leave them in the cooler on ice too long and they get so mushy that you can’t even filet them.

I hunt some doves, and ducks and geese. Every now and then I’ll jump a woodcock. East of me a few hours in hill country there may be a few grouse. Would love to shoot a few, but I’m afraid I’d miss them. Doves are hard enough to shoot for me. Although the 935 improved my success ratio quite a bit.

If we had rainbow around here in streams that’s all I’d fish for. I love them grilled and peppered. They stock a local 50 acre lake, but I can’t catch them. Most guys use corn and such but I’ve never had any luck.

Believe it not I have 3 fly rods and never used any of them. Bought them to fish streams in Tennessee and haven’t been back since I bought them.
Primarily I fly fish...except for this time of year when the water is cold, high and fast moving then an open face reel and rod with lead stinkers and earth works are the key. I tie my own flies but haven't done it in a couple of years cause I tied so many in 2016-2017. I tied a crapload of all the ones that work for where I go, so there is only 8 that I use/tie. I used to have a whole table set up, but I packed everything up last year and only left the stuff out that I needed for the 8 types that I tie.

johnjoseph

Post by johnjoseph » Sun. May. 03, 2020 8:14 pm

Hey Bill....if you got any of those biscuits left over and the honey/molasses with some of that Amish butter...I could go for some of that right about now....lol.

Hoytman

Post by Hoytman » Sun. May. 03, 2020 9:36 pm

Oh yeah...we have left overs. I’ll get out the honey and molasses and the butter for you. I can make coffee or I have some fresh Jersey milk as well that needs drinking. Good as it gets when it’s so cold it freezes your throat. Eat all you want. If we run out I’ll whip up a few more if I have to. I’ve even been known to attempt to make buttermilk biscuits myself. Not quite as good as the wife’s but they work in a pinch.

I don’t have any flies, and don’t tie any. I’d like to learn but unfortunately I already have too many hobbies.

Love catfish. Caught plenty fishing for other things but never have intentionally caught one and I’ve tried a lot...just in the wrong places I guess.

johnjoseph

Post by johnjoseph » Sun. May. 03, 2020 10:23 pm

Hoytman wrote:
Sun. May. 03, 2020 9:36 pm
Oh yeah...we have left overs. I’ll get out the honey and molasses and the butter for you. I can make coffee or I have some fresh Jersey milk as well that needs drinking. Good as it gets when it’s so cold it freezes your throat. Eat all you want. If we run out I’ll whip up a few more if I have to. I’ve even been known to attempt to make buttermilk biscuits myself. Not quite as good as the wife’s but they work in a pinch.

I don’t have any flies, and don’t tie any. I’d like to learn but unfortunately I already have too many hobbies.

Love catfish. Caught plenty fishing for other things but never have intentionally caught one and I’ve tried a lot...just in the wrong places I guess.
I'm enjoying those leftover biscuits with all the fixings I mentioned. Aside from differences elsewhere, i would seriously welcome you into my home without question...and from your posts here I would suspect the same. It's definitely a different world of beliefs between us, but above that the connection is human, real and genuine. Be well, safe and push forward with your best.😉

Hoytman

Post by Hoytman » Sun. May. 03, 2020 11:02 pm

Absolutely! You bet! Couldn’t have said it better myself, in fact I tried. Ended up erasing it three times. So here...I’ll let the music and lyrics speak for me.

CapeCoaler
Stoker Coal Boiler: want AA130
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine BS#4, Harman MKII, Hitzer 503,...
Coal Size/Type: Pea/Nut/Stove

Post by CapeCoaler » Mon. May. 04, 2020 2:39 am

Just grabbin' a late night snack...
Thanks for keepin' the light on...
LOL...

NoSmoke
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: New Yoker WC90
Baseburners & Antiques: Woods and Bishop Antique Pot Bellied Stove
Coal Size/Type: Stove/Nut/Pea Anthracite
Other Heating: Munchkin LP Boiler/Englander Pellet Stove/Perkins 4.108 Cogeneration diesel

Post by NoSmoke » Mon. May. 04, 2020 4:23 am

freetown fred wrote:
Sun. May. 03, 2020 6:55 am
N, what the hell does all that have to do with tomatoes????????????????????????? LOL Ya already got a generator thread!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)
It is the Saturday morning coffee thread, I am just telling you what I have been doing (no details), and what we were planning on doing for the day (Going to Moxie Falls with the kids).

It is called Thread-Drift, happens every weekend, I am surprised you have not noted the pattern! (LOL)

I certainly did not mean to have the Non-Tomato Talk Gestapo come calling.

Return to “The Coffee House”