Coffee 4-18-2020

NoSmoke
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: New Yoker WC90
Baseburners & Antiques: Woods and Bishop Antique Pot Bellied Stove
Coal Size/Type: Stove/Nut/Pea Anthracite
Other Heating: Munchkin LP Boiler/Englander Pellet Stove/Perkins 4.108 Cogeneration diesel

Post by NoSmoke » Fri. Apr. 24, 2020 5:51 am

I love having a good vocabulary. I try not to be overly so, so that I sound condescending like some people, but you know, having the right word is great. Sure I can say, "A customer was mad", but to say, "A customer was incredulous", just gets right to the point, conveys exactly the tone at that moment, with brevity.

I was talking with a fellow teacher yesterday, and he teaches academics while I teach trade. He was saying how hard it was sometimes to get students to buy into literacy, and I told him that I was an author...three books written so far. He was shocked...I guess its just wrong for a welder to be an author. We had a great conversation, but he was really surprised.

For those that care, they have been a children's book, a fiction novel, and a memoir.

NoSmoke
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: New Yoker WC90
Baseburners & Antiques: Woods and Bishop Antique Pot Bellied Stove
Coal Size/Type: Stove/Nut/Pea Anthracite
Other Heating: Munchkin LP Boiler/Englander Pellet Stove/Perkins 4.108 Cogeneration diesel

Post by NoSmoke » Fri. Apr. 24, 2020 5:55 am

On kind of a different subject, Katie and I often surprise people when we go out for dinner somewhere. Because we are farmers, we like to dismiss that overalls-with-a-shuck-of-straw-stuck-in-between-our-buck-teeth image that people like to think of. Often we are the best dressed people in a restaurant. When people ask...if they ask...they are shocked that we are farmers!

On the negative side, we have gone to a few weddings where we upstaged the bride and groom inadvertently...

franco b
Site Moderator
Hand Fed Coal Stove: V ermont Castings 2310, Franco Belge 262
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114
Coal Size/Type: nut and pea

Post by franco b » Fri. Apr. 24, 2020 8:48 am

NoSmoke wrote:
Fri. Apr. 24, 2020 5:55 am
On kind of a different subject, Katie and I often surprise people when we go out for dinner somewhere. Because we are farmers, we like to dismiss that overalls-with-a-shuck-of-straw-stuck-in-between-our-buck-teeth image that people like to think of. Often we are the best dressed people in a restaurant. When people ask...if they ask...they are shocked that we are farmers!

On the negative side, we have gone to a few weddings where we upstaged the bride and groom inadvertently...
Like finding beads in the grave of a neanderthal. That need to find means to proclaim individuality goes way back. Fashion, tatoos, hairstyle, even style of speech or writing. Old time royalty carried the pomp of style and circumstance to an extreme. The egalitarian Marxists wore chestfulls of medals instead.

Return to “The Coffee House”