Coffee 4-11-20

Freddy
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 130 (pea)
Coal Size/Type: Pea size, Superior, deep mined

Post by Freddy » Sat. Apr. 11, 2020 7:12 am

Coffee... Quick coffee. No Internet here... Big heavy,wet snow! Took out trees all over. Power out for 18 hours. Just came back. This is my first time on the coal forum with just a telephone. What a pain! But, bacon, eggs, home fries for breakfast. Internet wires down all over. They say Monday or Tuesday for repairs. Forward we go! Oh.... Eloise blanked the skunk and let it go in the back field. No
stinkies!

NoSmoke
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: New Yoker WC90
Baseburners & Antiques: Woods and Bishop Antique Pot Bellied Stove
Coal Size/Type: Stove/Nut/Pea Anthracite
Other Heating: Munchkin LP Boiler/Englander Pellet Stove/Perkins 4.108 Cogeneration diesel

Post by NoSmoke » Sat. Apr. 11, 2020 7:17 am

Yes that was quite the storm.

We got 18 inches of snow here, and the power has been out for 36 hours and counting. I have been building my Gen-Set, and have thought along the way that it was over-kill. I mean I got the Kubota and the PTO generator which can push out 20 KW, but having its own engine would be better.

I had a heck of a time getting the tractor started. I had not expected 18 inches of snow, so the tractor was parked outside, it needed to be jump started, and I got my truck stuck getting to it. The truck was almost out of fuel, and so I ended up charging a second battery off that until it nearly ran out of fuel, then walked it back through the snow, and finally got the tractor going 3 hours later.

We just got the stove fired up since the generator was now going, and was getting the house warm, and the kids settled in, when my father needed the tractor. That meant shutting everything down, and filling the house full of smoke because the power draft was off. And now that it has been 36 hours and counting, that is a lot of extra hours on the Kubota. So my resolve to complete my Gen-Set is stronger than ever.

To just fire up a dedicated engine just for the PTO generator would be nice. Something that was always ready to go, 275 gallons of fuel storage, (60 days supply), and 20-41 KW would be REALLY nice.
Last edited by NoSmoke on Sat. Apr. 11, 2020 7:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Toddburn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 983/ Hitzer 55
Coal Size/Type: Nut anthracite/pea
Other Heating: Heat pump/forced air

Post by Toddburn » Sat. Apr. 11, 2020 7:21 am

Good morning all. What’s a mess Freddy. Happy Easter to everyone and your families. Hope everyone is doing well. Lots to do today outside painting, staining, and hang up frame work for netting and run some electric wire on the chicken coop project. Everyone enjoy coffee and breakfast and have a safe weekend!

CoalJockey
Verified Business Rep.
Stoker Coal Boiler: Several EFM 520 refurbs...one 900, one 1300 mega-stoker
Hand Fed Coal Stove: (2) Warm Morning Stoves

Post by CoalJockey » Sat. Apr. 11, 2020 7:32 am

What a weird week for weather. The first half was in the high 60’s and sunny, then we had some terrible thunderstorms move through on a cold front and had an inch of snow laying out here yesterday. The wind blew so hard it bent the flagpole over completely at the Lions building. So now we are getting March weather in April.

Trucking is slow due to the virus but we are holding our own. Still have lime to spread when the weather is fit and some house coal deliveries to do. I need to get the mowers in the shop and service them but I need to get this lime truck finished first. Here is a photo of the progress and also Hambden Bob: My Grandfather-In-Law’s obituary you asked about. Thank you all for your condolences, I forwarded them to Brittany and she was very grateful.

https://www.bedfordgazette.com/obituaries/joe-a-b ... ba52f.html

Attachments

D-frost
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman MK ll
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Yukon Eagle I (multi-fuel oil, wood/coal)
Baseburners & Antiques: Herald 'fireside oak'
Coal Size/Type: nut/stove-Blaschak/Lehigh

Post by D-frost » Sat. Apr. 11, 2020 7:34 am

Mornin'
Freddy, Mother Nature is working for those 'Spring Skiers'. She is not on 'stay home' orders from the governor!!! I'll give HB a call to get to the 'coffee shop' ASAP & get the wires back up.....yeah, that will work........ah, he's in Ohio, maybe next week.

I let the Herald go out about 10 days ago. Been lighting a wood fire in the Yukon every morning. We'll have almost 3/4 ton in bags to start next season.......life is good.

Have a nice Easter, everyone.
Cheers

Keepaeyeonit
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood #8
Coal Size/Type: Nut & stove
Other Heating: 49 year old oil furnace, and finally a new heat pump

Post by Keepaeyeonit » Sat. Apr. 11, 2020 8:00 am

Good morning gents, Good breakfast considering the currant conditions Freddy. The weather wasn't good but nothing like some of you got as we just had high winds and not much else. I ordered the flooring for the landing so maybe I can finish the job up before they open up the campgrounds again.

Nice job on that truck Tyler :yes: looks nice and new, I used to like doing stuff like that but not so much anymore, Maybe Its because I haven't did it in so long or I'm just getting older :lol: .
NoSmoke wrote:
Sat. Apr. 11, 2020 7:17 am
To just fire up a dedicated engine just for the PTO generator would be nice. Something that was always ready to go, 275 gallons of fuel storage, (60 days supply), and 20-41 KW would be REALLY nice.
60 days of backup power would be nice for sure especially if you loose power often.

Ok friends have a good day and a Happy Easter. :)

KLook
Other Heating: Wishing it was cold enough for coal here....not really

Post by KLook » Sat. Apr. 11, 2020 8:09 am

Morning all, yikes on that snow Freddy, my area of Maine got clobbered with a high tide and storm surge that put the ocean into the places it does not go often. Saw some video's from Machias and talked with family....As for us, we are under the gun for tornado risk tomorrow, severe T storms and hail. Overall the weather has been nice and I am still plugging along working at home. Going to go move the heavy equipment from our shop and meet a customer about building some cabinets this afternoon.
Stay safe and try to enjoy the weekend! Weird Easter for sure.

Kevin

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Sat. Apr. 11, 2020 8:12 am

Good morning. Sounds like it was quite a week weather wise. Larry got buzzed by some tornado's, and you guys in Maine got over a foot of snow. All I got was a lot of wind, rain, and some flurries that did not accumulate.

Yesterday was a tough day for our family, we had to say goodbye to one of our dogs. He would have been 13 next month, and has been with us for 10 years - so our boys have known him since they were babies. He has had cancer for some time now, so we knew the day was coming...but when the time came that did not make it easier to say goodbye to my old friend. I buried him under a 30' spruce tree out back, and picked out a nice flat piece of limestone for the boys to paint his name on.

No Easter dinner this year, we are all staying in. The boys want to color eggs this afternoon, so I imagine egg salad will be on the menu for a few days next week.

Forward we go.

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Sat. Apr. 11, 2020 8:26 am

Mornin all, sorry about the pup Rob, always tough when a critter crosses over. :( Never got my mowin finished last week--even the old Wheel Horse has problems with SNOW!!! :) Nice b-fast Freddy--thanx. Just getting coal buckets filled seems to be the only activity today. Enjoy the week-end people.

StokerDon
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Gentleman Janitor GJ-5, Van Wert VA-600, Axeman Anderson130 X3.
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Harman SF3500 reduced down to 3 grates connected to its own plenum
Coal Size/Type: Rice, Chestnut and whatever will fit through the door on the Harman
Other Heating: Noth'in but COAL! Well, Maybe a little tiny bit of wood

Post by StokerDon » Sat. Apr. 11, 2020 9:07 am

Morning everybody!

Sounds like you guys up North got some serious weather. Nothing but wind down here. It was cold enough last night that I decided to burn some wood in the Ol' Harman. Not much else happening here. I'll peck away at the 944+V8 project and make sure the Axeman is fed, that's about it.

Stay healthy and safe everyone!
-Don

Hambden Bob
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Harman 1998 Magnum Stoker
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Blower Model Coal Chubby 1982-Serial#0097
Coal Size/Type: Rice-A-Roni ! / Nut
Other Heating: Pro-Pain Forced Air

Post by Hambden Bob » Sat. Apr. 11, 2020 9:31 am

Holy Cow! This Sure Is A Powerful Coffehouse Visit This Morning!!
Techno- Freddy rocked it pumping this one out on Da' Cellphone! Thanx for the "Over The Top Of Da' Snow" Effort!
So many Smash Out Efforts by each and every one of You to bring this mornings' moments to Life here! Tyler,I got ripped off never meeting Paps Joe! I Thank You for that Soul-Energizing Obit.!!
Generator Shmenerators! NS,I feel yet another one of Your "Double Live Gonzo" Performances is coming on that issue! Rob,tell Your House that some Old Fat Guy from Ohio that they've never met is really feeling for them today! Freddy,tell Miss E that she did a Right Fine Job on Mr. Leppy LePeuw!!
As for the Rest Of You Inter-Galactic Coal Dregs,stay Your Course! Do the Little Things,and picture what Easter would be like if You'd of Crash Landed somewhere remote! That's Right! You'd be glad for Your Life! You'd find a Way to make it Back To The World! Now let's go do this!!

Gian4

Post by Gian4 » Sat. Apr. 11, 2020 9:54 am

Hey all
Glad to see everyone's keeping on keeping on despite viruses, weather and personal losses. Been listening to John Prine all week. We certainly lost a treasure when he died. Able to get some part time work helping a buddy do maintenance work. His full time guys were laid off and can make way more money on relief than working so rather than empty their rice bowel he brings me on board as a stringer. Keeps everything right with the world. Well stay safe and healthy my friends.
Gian4

NoSmoke
Other Heating: Munchkin LP Boiler/Englander Pellet Stove/Perkins 4.108 Cogeneration diesel

Post by NoSmoke » Sat. Apr. 11, 2020 3:06 pm

44 Hours so far, and still without power!

But it is not their fault, in all honesty it looks like the ice Storm of 1998 out there, there are trees down everywhere. They will get here as soon as they can.

NoSmoke

Post by NoSmoke » Sat. Apr. 11, 2020 7:21 pm

We went to the store this afternoon, and Waldo County must have got the brunt of the storm. Since yesterday the number of houses without power doubled overnight!

As we drove around, I would say 1 out of 5 houses had trees that fell and ripped the powerline entrance lines right off the houses. It was not unusual to drive over downed powerlines every few miles.

In one section we counted 7 power poles in length where wires had been ripped right of the poles and was lying on the ground. After another mile, there was like 3 more sets of poles where the lines were ripped down.

We are going to be without power for awhile I would say!

VigIIPeaBurner
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Keystoker Koker(down)
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vermont Casting Vigilant II 2310
Other Heating: #2 Oil Furnace

Post by VigIIPeaBurner » Sat. Apr. 11, 2020 8:26 pm

Hey Freddy and all - we got lucky with just some big winds. Blew down some branches and knocked down some widow-makers that have been swinging in the wind from vines for the past few years or so.
Damn sorry to have lost John Prine. Kate and I've been singing his songs and letting his music play when we sit by the fire pit outside bundled up a bit.
Happy Spring and Easter, what ever is on your plate be thankful.

Return to “The Coffee House”