How many of you order pick up groceries?

theo

Post by theo » Sat. Apr. 04, 2020 5:09 pm

We are trying to stay home and out of stores as much as we can, the better-half ordered groceries online from wallyworld 2 days ago, she picked them up today and we were surprized how good everything looked. She is very picky about food items and she was pleased with what we recieved. It only took wallyworld about 10 min. to have the food out to the van once she called the number to let them know she was there. We are "old school" learning new tricks ! We like it and may do it all the time from now on,,,,,,,,, now if i can just teach her a few more new tricks,,,,,,, :mrgreen:

NoSmoke
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: New Yoker WC90
Baseburners & Antiques: Woods and Bishop Antique Pot Bellied Stove
Coal Size/Type: Stove/Nut/Pea Anthracite
Other Heating: Munchkin LP Boiler/Englander Pellet Stove/Perkins 4.108 Cogeneration diesel

Post by NoSmoke » Sat. Apr. 04, 2020 5:18 pm

We have been doing this for a few years, but it started getting popular about a year ago, and of course now scheduling a time is just plain crazy. We got a Walmart spot tonight at 7PM so the wife is about to head out the door.

We did it originally to save time, as we have (2) adults and (4 kids), but we kept doing it when we realized how much money we saved. That comes into play because there is no impulse buying. It is like buying fuel at the pump, you only buy what you need (fuel) and so you do not pick up that extra soda and candy bar. That is where the money savings comes into play.

But now with everyone doing it, it is going to be hard to get decent time slot since people will realize how much money can be saved, and stop in-store shopping.

The secret is out now I guess.

samhill
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: keystoker 160
Hand Fed Coal Stove: hitzer 75 in garage

Post by samhill » Sat. Apr. 04, 2020 5:34 pm

We also have been doing this from Wal-Mart for some time as well as Sam's Club & several others, naturally Amazon. For us a Sam's Club is over 40 miles going to either Erie or Niles, Ohio, if we go to Niles I take my van & gas cans. I'm amazed at the ones I see with their car trunks totally loaded with gas cans.

Holdencoal

Post by Holdencoal » Sat. Apr. 04, 2020 6:40 pm

I have been doing Walmart pick since it started. It’s a 25 minute drive both ways. But it’s worth it with two kids. I try to always get a Saturday morning 7:30 - 8 time slot. Walmart will also reimburse you for fruit or veggies that rot quickly after a two or three days. We have never had an issue. In fact it’s better then I could have picked.

johnjoseph
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KA-6
Other Heating: pellet stove, oil boiler

Post by johnjoseph » Sat. Apr. 04, 2020 7:00 pm

Because I live in the backwoods...they only started this in December 2019 in my locale. Haven't utilized it because I'm a single guy that only frequents Walmart 1x monthly. But, it sounds worth looking into for my monthly list.

NoSmoke
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: New Yoker WC90
Baseburners & Antiques: Woods and Bishop Antique Pot Bellied Stove
Coal Size/Type: Stove/Nut/Pea Anthracite
Other Heating: Munchkin LP Boiler/Englander Pellet Stove/Perkins 4.108 Cogeneration diesel

Post by NoSmoke » Sat. Apr. 04, 2020 7:09 pm

It is getting to the point now where you can get almost anything from Walmart.

I needed a head gasket for the 1978 Perkins 4.108 diesel engine for my cogeneration plant. Oh sure, Walmart had that, ordered it yesterday and it shipped this afternoon. I will have it by Wednesday...

I looked at buying a hydraulic ram breaker for my backhoe...yep, Walmart had that too.

Lightning
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Modified AA 130
Coal Size/Type: Pea Size - Anthracite

Post by Lightning » Sat. Apr. 04, 2020 7:10 pm

We do about half store shopping and the other half online.. Per our online ordering app, there are currently no pick up slots available and my wife is afraid to go to the store. As mentioned earlier, our local Walmart is limiting customers coming into the store..

As a bread man I can see this is having a dramatic effect on the markets that I service. My Walmart is only lumbering along, while this time of month it should be getting slammed.. My other smaller accounts that consist of 4 Dollar Generals, 2 Service Stores and 2 Shop n Save stores are getting hammered. This evidence suggests that people are avoiding the big box stores like Walmart and BJs, and are choosing to shop the smaller stores. As you can imagine this could all be counter intuitive because now smaller stores that aren't limiting customers in their stores are packing a lot of people in small spaces..

johnjoseph
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KA-6
Other Heating: pellet stove, oil boiler

Post by johnjoseph » Sat. Apr. 04, 2020 7:18 pm

Our local small stores in Maine are limiting the amount of customers at one time as well. My small intown grocery allows 5 at a time and locks the door and allows 1 to enter as 1 leaves. Haven't seen it happen yet, but they have a sign on the door explaining the process.

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Sat. Apr. 04, 2020 8:29 pm

Our local is just asking people to keep 6' apart. I love livin where people actually listen. You poor people with kids that use them to utilize on line shipping!!! OMG, how did my generation survive shopping trips--oh, that's right, a good boot in the ass would always get our attention---pathetically sad I'm thinkin--but, I'm just a mean old farmer!!!!!!!!! :) Older folk get a pass..
Last edited by freetown fred on Sat. Apr. 04, 2020 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Sat. Apr. 04, 2020 8:35 pm

My mom has been using "Hannaford to-go" for years. Trying to maneuver around a punch of people blocking the aisles and waiting in line is not something she enjoys, and she always knows what she needs - so she places the order online and just goes to pick it up. She had a similar comment to someone above - she is surprised at how good a job they do picking the produce.

Holdencoal

Post by Holdencoal » Sat. Apr. 04, 2020 8:58 pm

:lol: Fred I’ll send you my two for the summer.

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Sat. Apr. 04, 2020 9:10 pm

That's all H--I got hayin goin on & every extra back (lil or big) helps--& damn if most don't have a real good time.

Return to “The Coffee House”