Coffee 1-25-2020

Freddy
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 130 (pea)
Coal Size/Type: Pea size, Superior, deep mined

Post by Freddy » Sat. Jan. 25, 2020 6:05 am

Come in! The door is always open. We have good hot coffee and home made cinnamon rolls. Scrambled eggs too? OK!

I got a reeducation of why we black rock burners are so smart. I saw a neighbors heating oil bill this week. 162 gallons of oil for $465. Ouch! In my neck of the woods, that's over twice the price of coal per BTU. I'm guessing in PA it would be three times! Let's have a Hip Hip Hoorah for cheap heat!

Scotty made it back from Michigan. Only a week and a half late. But.... other than the front grill of my Van being taken out by a chunk of ice, all is well. Yup.... some Semi truck coughed out am ice chunk. Scotty saw it coming & shed enough speed so it didn't come through the windshield, but it cost a grill. No biggie....a local junkyard had one for $125.

Next week..... Groundhogs day....half way through the heating season. Yippee!

Hope you all stay warm & healthy.

BostonBob
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Harman DVC500,Alaska Gnome 40
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by BostonBob » Sat. Jan. 25, 2020 6:25 am

Morning Freddy ! Great breakfast this warm morning. Sorry the grill was a wreck but it thank god that was all my last natural gas bill was only $9.86 (would’ve been closer to $200 if I wasn’t burning !!! Have a great weekend everyone

Benny
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Koker lite- house. Reading- garage
Coal Size/Type: Rice
Other Heating: Oil

Post by Benny » Sat. Jan. 25, 2020 6:34 am

Morning all, warm and wet start this morning, bought something this week I really don’t need but the price was to good to pass up.have a great weekend all!
2631CEF0-595E-4FA5-BC4B-06D4DBBF99DE.jpeg
.JPEG | 1.6MB | 2631CEF0-595E-4FA5-BC4B-06D4DBBF99DE.jpeg

gaw
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KA-6
Coal Size/Type: Rice from Schuylkill County

Post by gaw » Sat. Jan. 25, 2020 7:05 am

Good morning, a weekend off for me! I’ll take it. It’s a rainy Saturday around here but it cleans up easier than snow. This has been an unusually warm January and the forecast has no real cold in sight for the last week.

The Keystoker converts coal into ash and during the process keeps the house warm, I added 2 ½ tons of coal to the bin last week and should be good till spring.

I have the battery from my work vehicle charging with my Batteryminder charger hoping it will condition it. It ran down Thursday evening enough to require a jump. When I got home and disconnected everything to put the charger on I noticed the battery was manufactured 04/18; it better not be dying yet. I’ll take it off the charger and test it tomorrow.

Have a good weekend, staying dry is the plan for today.

D-frost
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman MK ll
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Yukon Eagle I (multi-fuel oil, wood/coal)
Baseburners & Antiques: Herald 'fireside oak'
Coal Size/Type: nut/stove-Blaschak/Lehigh

Post by D-frost » Sat. Jan. 25, 2020 7:07 am

Mornin'
Cinnamon rolls with coffee at Freddys-yummy!!!!!
Groundhog Day- halfway to Spring. I sure hope the second half is as light as the first. This has been a fairly easy Winter, so far.
Have a good week-end everyone.
Cheers

CoalJockey
Verified Business Rep.
Stoker Coal Boiler: Several EFM 520 refurbs...one 900, one 1300 mega-stoker
Hand Fed Coal Stove: (2) Warm Morning Stoves

Post by CoalJockey » Sat. Jan. 25, 2020 7:45 am

Hi guys

Thankful for the rain, it got rid of the ice we have been so blessed with for the last week. Trying to spread lime and slide in and out of driveways with coal deliveries has taken its toll on me. It is now Saturday and I do not care about anything. 🥱

Some routine maintenance on the tri-axle today. I have some bumper poles mounted on the front with lights in the top that I pulled off an old Mack years back. The bulb sockets and wiring were shot when I put them on and I just kept patching till they began driving me nuts this Winter. New LED replacement sockets arrived yesterday so they are getting wired in.

Not much to report on here. The days are getting a little bit longer, it’s not dark anymore when I leave the shop and go to the house in the evening. A little bit at a time... now if I can just drag my ass through February. 😠

Have a goodie.

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Sat. Jan. 25, 2020 8:02 am

Mornin all, great b-fast choice Freddy!! Yep, rain here also--I hate this muck!! Almost lost the fire in the 50-93 last night--Momma didn't close the ash door tightly--had one lil red eye--hopper was EMPTY--shook down, topped off, opened ash door vents 100%, cracked bi-metallic & prayed to the coal God!!! closed ash door vent but a 1/8th & let drilled hole in bi-metallic flap do what they do best & went to bed.LOL Most impt. thing was just letting her alone. This AM, house is back to 72* & nice & comfy. Gotta pick up Amish neighbor to fill coal buckets & then--NOTHIN!!!LOL Enjoy the week-end people :)

StokerDon
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Gentleman Janitor GJ-5, Van Wert VA-600, Axeman Anderson130 X3.
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Harman SF3500 reduced down to 3 grates connected to its own plenum
Coal Size/Type: Rice, Chestnut and whatever will fit through the door on the Harman
Other Heating: Noth'in but COAL! Well, Maybe a little tiny bit of wood

Post by StokerDon » Sat. Jan. 25, 2020 8:51 am

Morning all!

Yesterday I was up in coal country to visit my Aunt. I stopped by DiRenzo Coal in Pottsville to pick up some Buckwheat. They were nice enough to let me in to take pics and video!
IMG_5453.JPG
.JPG | 317.6KB | IMG_5453.JPG
IMG_5454.JPG
.JPG | 150.5KB | IMG_5454.JPG
IMG_5455.JPG
.JPG | 184.7KB | IMG_5455.JPG
I was lucky enough to catch and chat with one of the minors that came in to get some Rice for his EFM.

Many thanks to the DiRenzo boys for letting me in!

Today, after it stops raining, I will be shoveling 1600 pounds of Buckwheat into my Axeman bin. It should be interesting to see how the Axeman likes it.

-Don

Toddburn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 983/ Hitzer 55
Coal Size/Type: Nut anthracite/pea
Other Heating: Heat pump/forced air

Post by Toddburn » Sat. Jan. 25, 2020 9:27 am

Good morning guys. Damp, rainy here also. Getting stir crazy wish it would dry up got a few outside projects I could be doing. Winter has been mild but still boring. Come on spring! Thanks for the pictures and video Don. Real cool or should I say real hot what a beast! Hope everyone has a great weekend!

Hambden Bob
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Harman 1998 Magnum Stoker
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Blower Model Coal Chubby 1982-Serial#0097
Coal Size/Type: Rice-A-Roni ! / Nut
Other Heating: Pro-Pain Forced Air

Post by Hambden Bob » Sat. Jan. 25, 2020 10:55 am

Helluva Week,Gang! Yo-Ho! We Are Survivors!! We lost Our Senior House Kitty Wednesday,he was more like a Dog,The Wife and Daughters had eye dropper raised him while he'd fit in the palm of their hands! He paid them back by giving them a 16 yrs long run! That's alot of Meow Mileage from a premature cat.. We knew it was coming,as kitty Hospice was in effect for a week. Master Chung,Oriental Martial Arts Kitty( yeah,the girls were young when they came up with that one) went Peacefully while Mrs. Ham was petting him on the Vet's Exam Table-No Euthanizing Shot needed,when he gave it up! The Vet was amazed! I've been occupied with setting the Girls and Home towards a Good Place. My Mom's back in the Hospital-at 87,I figure this one's gonna be tough. The Icing on The Cake hit hard Thursday after finding out my Damned Good Co-Worker&Grampa Shared with me that his 3yr old Grandson is loaded with Cancer...He started his first round of Chemo. There's 3 of us old guys that are pretty tight,so upon learning of this Nightmare,We dropped All Other Deals and Called for a Weapons Check in 5 Minutes! We're All In On This Little Guy,We're Going In Heavy,We've Got Top Cover(Yep,Jesus H. Christ Himself) and We have No Borders on what it'll take to see it Through! Don't Screw With Old Guys.....
Enough of that Depressing Dungheap-(It's Really Not,Plus I've still got my tasteless humor to see Us Through) but when I hear tell of forecasts made by a Furry Rodent,I know longer days are ahead! Let's Go,Gang!!

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Sat. Jan. 25, 2020 11:26 am

Prayers headed out for your Mom HB, & the 3 yr. old :(

samhill
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: keystoker 160
Hand Fed Coal Stove: hitzer 75 in garage

Post by samhill » Sat. Jan. 25, 2020 2:02 pm

Prayers going out for both Mom & Grandson, HB. Haven't lit the Koker yet, it's getting this year off, going in probably Monday for some replacement work of my own. Somehow or another I got some nasty infection in my replacement parts, soon as results get back I go in, hopefully for the fix so no coal burning for me. Hope all stay safe & warm, enjoy the extremely mild winter so far it's been good.

Toddburn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 983/ Hitzer 55
Coal Size/Type: Nut anthracite/pea
Other Heating: Heat pump/forced air

Post by Toddburn » Sat. Jan. 25, 2020 3:33 pm

HB hope everyone gets better your way!

the snowman
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Jotul 507
Coal Size/Type: Nut, Stove coal, Egg coal

Post by the snowman » Sat. Jan. 25, 2020 3:44 pm

Afternoon all,

hb, prayers. StokerDon, nice pics and video. Not much going on here. The 507's are idling keeping the house warm. I agree with everyone, this winter sucks. We can only hope for an early spring. I hope everyone has a safe and productive weekend.

The Snowman.

Holdencoal

Post by Holdencoal » Sat. Jan. 25, 2020 7:00 pm

Wow. $2.87 for oil. I paid $2.50 my last fill up. I use this site below to help find the best pricing. I will never use an oil plan. Looks like the company I use is down to $2.40 a gallon this week.

http://www.newenglandoil.com/massachusetts/zone10.asp?x=0

Return to “The Coffee House”