Ever feel like you robbed the store?

Richard S.
Mayor
Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert VA1200
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/Anthracite

Post by Richard S. » Thu. Dec. 05, 2019 10:22 pm

I needed to get all new appliances for my new pad because there is none, the only thing I have now I could of used was this washing machine that sucks badly(Roper bought for grandmother which was fine for her), dryer which is electric and a countertop microwave.

Other than the fridge I donl't need them right now but since they have such great deals on Black Friday I pulled the trigger today which was last day of sale. Fridge, gas range, dishwasher, over the counter microwave, washer and gas dryer.

Total retail was about $6K, sales discount at the register brought it down to $3600. On top of that I have a 10% rebate from the manufacturer.... so we are down to $3240... and six appliances gets me a $600 Lowes store credit which I'll burn through anyway.

$2640 total when it's all said and done. The retail cost on the fridge and range was more than that.

Getting back to that microwave I actually didn't want that, was looking for a countertop model but they didn't have any I liked. Only reason I bought it was because for the sixth appliance the Lowes store credit went from $400 to $600. If I had not bought it I actually would of paid more because it was $189.

After the sales lady rings all this stuff up I put the card in and Declined! Try it again and Declined!... I'm sure she was sitting there unhappy she just spent 2 hours helping me put this stuff together because she gets a commission. Found out there was a $2K cap on the card so I went to the bank for cash. $3700 in $100 bills in my pocket for grand total of about 30 minutes. :shifty:

Quick tip I got from the banker, the $2k cap was for debit. I wasn't given a choice for credit or debit when I put the card in the machine but he said If I had pressed cancel when the pin screen came up it may of processed it as CC and the cap for that was $5K.

fig
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Harman SF360
Hand Fed Coal Stove: T.O.M (Warm Morning converted to baseburner by Steve) Round Oak 1917 Door model O-3, Warm Morning 400, Warm Morning 524, Warm Morning 414,Florence No.77, Warm Morning 523-b
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Clayton 7.1/DS Machine basement stove/ Harman SF1500
Baseburners & Antiques: Renown Parlor stove 87B
Coal Size/Type: Bituminous/anthracite
Other Heating: Harman Accentra, enviro omega, Vermont Ironworks Elm stove, Quadrafire Mt Vernon, Logwood stove, Sotz barrel stove,

Post by fig » Fri. Dec. 06, 2019 12:08 am

Hi-flame was having a huge discount on wood or multi-fuel stoves. The mark down was insane. I got an $800 stove for $180. A guy I know bought 5 different models. Some were $2000 off retail. He has them on Craigslist now for $500 more then he paid still several thousand les then sticker price.

CoalisCoolxWarm
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KA-6
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: old Sears rebuilt, bituminous- offline as of winter 2014
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite Buckwheat
Other Heating: Oil Boiler

Post by CoalisCoolxWarm » Fri. Dec. 06, 2019 7:40 am

Wow, sounds like you made out like a bandit ;)

Those cc machines...sometimes you hit cancel, other times enter. If you hit cancel on the wrong machine it will cancel your order (Walmart, I think). At which time it is faster to just move to another self-serve register than wait for someone to come clear it, LOL.

I guess I missed my 'consumer credit card machine users' seminar that we are all required to attend, now that we have to ring up our own orders...LOL.

Enjoy your new appliances and rolling around in all that extra dough!

oros35
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Cozeburn OWB burning Bit
Baseburners & Antiques: 1912 Smith & Anthony Hub Heater #215

Post by oros35 » Fri. Dec. 06, 2019 9:48 am

My inlaws just did the same thing. They paid with Giant Eagle gift cards that they got about $450 of fuel perks for too. You might have missed out on some additional savings by paying cash!!!

Makes you ponder how much the markup really is on these things, and how many people are getting screwed if they have to pay full price.

Richard S.
Mayor

Post by Richard S. » Fri. Dec. 06, 2019 11:32 am

oros35 wrote:
Fri. Dec. 06, 2019 9:48 am
You might have missed out on some additional savings by paying cash!!!
The only thing I had left getting was a Lowes CC and I refuse to own a CC. I don't even use the debit that much, mine got hacked somehow about 2 years ago. It was just a small charge like $10 but apparently that's the precursor to emptying your account out if they know they charge something to it. I pay for almost everything in cash locally, I suspect I might used gas station with one of those skimmers because even before then I rarely used it for much.

As far as the CC goes many years ago I had late payment of two days which of course incurred $30 fee. Just so we are clear balance on the CC is $0 two days after it was due and they applied $30 fee which is outrageous but that's my fault. What they did was apply my payment to previous period where it was late. I never made additional payment the next month on the $30 and they assessed another $30 fee because I didn't make payment on the $30. Now I have $60 balance from late fees. Refused to remove one of them and that was last time I had CC.

CoalisCoolxWarm
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KA-6
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: old Sears rebuilt, bituminous- offline as of winter 2014
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite Buckwheat
Other Heating: Oil Boiler

Post by CoalisCoolxWarm » Fri. Dec. 06, 2019 12:24 pm

Richard S. wrote:
Fri. Dec. 06, 2019 11:32 am
Refused to remove one of them and that was last time I had CC.
Perfect example of why customer SERVICE is so important. A PRODUCT gets them in the door, but the service is what keeps them a customer.

#1 Rule of Business: "Thou shalt not be an ash-hole to customers"

Yes, they can and will hate you for life ;)

Richard S.
Mayor

Post by Richard S. » Fri. Dec. 06, 2019 1:29 pm

CoalisCoolxWarm wrote:
Fri. Dec. 06, 2019 12:24 pm
Perfect example of why customer SERVICE is so important. A PRODUCT gets them in the door, but the service is what keeps them a customer.

#1 Rule of Business: "Thou shalt not be an ash-hole to customers"

Yes, they can and will hate you for life ;)
This isn't about customer service it's about highway robbery. I'm not sure if it's clear but let's say the balance is $300, I pay off the $300 online two days after it was due but the $30 late fee has not posted yet. I'm not complaining about the initial late fee, I screwed up and that's my fault. They apply my payment to the period for the late fee, assess the $30 and now I have $30 balance due at the end of that period. It never crossed my mind to look because I had paid the $300 after the due date and assumed it would be applied to that period.

In other words if I had waited a couple days/week or whatever and paid the $300 or the $330 there is no second late fee.

uggabugga
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 30-95
Other Heating: Harman Hearth Hero

Post by uggabugga » Fri. Dec. 06, 2019 3:33 pm

fig wrote:
Fri. Dec. 06, 2019 12:08 am
Hi-flame was having a huge discount on wood or multi-fuel stoves. The mark down was insane. I got an $800 stove for $180. A guy I know bought 5 different models. Some were $2000 off retail. He has them on Craigslist now for $500 more then he paid still several thousand les then sticker price.
Damn. Why can't i find sales like this?

A chimney company I spoke with yesterday mentioned something similar - they had a fire sale on their stoves before the new EPA standards went into effect, and sold many of them for 25-30 cents on the dollar.

cabinover
Stoker Coal Boiler: Hybrid Axeman Anderson 130
Baseburners & Antiques: Sparkle #12
Coal Size/Type: Pea, Buckwheat, Nut
Other Heating: LP Hot air. WA TX for coal use.

Post by cabinover » Fri. Dec. 06, 2019 6:07 pm

I understand your reasoning Richard but that 2% cash back sure helps the bottom line at the end of the year. Still, you made out like a bandit, congrats.

Richard S.
Mayor

Post by Richard S. » Sat. Dec. 07, 2019 1:46 am

cabinover wrote:
Fri. Dec. 06, 2019 6:07 pm
I understand your reasoning Richard but that 2% cash back sure helps the bottom line at the end of the year. Still, you made out like a bandit, congrats.
You are paying that and more at the register, I should be getting 5% for cash.

Freddy
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 130 (pea)
Coal Size/Type: Pea size, Superior, deep mined

Post by Freddy » Sat. Dec. 07, 2019 5:23 am

You did that without a mask? And, no one is after you? The perfect crime! LOL

fig
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Harman SF360
Hand Fed Coal Stove: T.O.M (Warm Morning converted to baseburner by Steve) Round Oak 1917 Door model O-3, Warm Morning 400, Warm Morning 524, Warm Morning 414,Florence No.77, Warm Morning 523-b
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Clayton 7.1/DS Machine basement stove/ Harman SF1500
Baseburners & Antiques: Renown Parlor stove 87B
Coal Size/Type: Bituminous/anthracite
Other Heating: Harman Accentra, enviro omega, Vermont Ironworks Elm stove, Quadrafire Mt Vernon, Logwood stove, Sotz barrel stove,

Post by fig » Sat. Dec. 07, 2019 5:40 am

uggabugga wrote:
Fri. Dec. 06, 2019 3:33 pm
Damn. Why can't i find sales like this?

A chimney company I spoke with yesterday mentioned something similar - they had a fire sale on their stoves before the new EPA standards went into effect, and sold many of them for 25-30 cents on the dollar.
Yeh I never get deals like this. I should have followed suit and bought 5 or 6. He’s asking half the retail price and doubling or tripling his investment. Nearly sold them all already. With my luck they’d still be sitting in my garage 10 years from now...lol.

cabinover
Stoker Coal Boiler: Hybrid Axeman Anderson 130
Baseburners & Antiques: Sparkle #12
Coal Size/Type: Pea, Buckwheat, Nut
Other Heating: LP Hot air. WA TX for coal use.

Post by cabinover » Sun. Dec. 08, 2019 2:47 am

Richard S. wrote:
Sat. Dec. 07, 2019 1:46 am
You are paying that and more at the register, I should be getting 5% for cash.
But you won't, that's the difference.

Richard S.
Mayor

Post by Richard S. » Thu. Jan. 09, 2020 12:45 pm

Well the fridge wouldn't fit into the kitchen anyhow anyway without lifting it over and island. Not a big deal because that's not it's final home. Hooked the dishwasher up temporarily and I may have to make love to it. Didn't have one here the whole time I took care of Gram, about 4 or 5 years. Finally have nice clotes washing machine, other was Roper which I wouyld highly recommend you do not buy. It's way to light and has no mecahnism inside to supress any off balance load. Worthless unless you are only doing light laundry.

I'll be starting new post as I build my ultimate bachelor pad. Here is my new computer desk, bed frame/cabinets and kitchen countertops. It's rock maple.

NoSmoke
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: New Yoker WC90
Baseburners & Antiques: Woods and Bishop Antique Pot Bellied Stove
Coal Size/Type: Stove/Nut/Pea Anthracite
Other Heating: Munchkin LP Boiler/Englander Pellet Stove/Perkins 4.108 Cogeneration diesel

Post by NoSmoke » Fri. Feb. 21, 2020 5:23 am

Katie and I were at a stove shop get parts for our 1893 Bangor and Bishop Pot Bellied Stove. Just the fact that we could still get parts is amazing, but as we looked around the antique stove shop, we saw a nice Crawford Gas Range...

The woman said that because of insurance company rules, and gas companies no longer willing to install antique gas stoves, they were having a hard time selling them. She said (2) stoves that week were returned because the homeowners could not put them in. So she said, "I would take half off every gas stove in this store right now just to get rid of gas."

She was obviously having a bad day.

But I do not have insurance because I own my houses outright, and thus do not need insurance, and I make my own gas connections, so none of that was an issue to me. So knowing Katie wanted it, I said, "I'll give you half for that Crawford stove right now....cash."

For that reason, I carry quite a bit on me so when deals like this come up, I can jump on them. Anyway, she agreed to it. So we ended up going home with the $1400 stove for $700.
DSCN5251.JPG
.JPG | 358.5KB | DSCN5251.JPG

Return to “The Coffee House”