Coffee 9/29/19

Hoytman
Location: swOH near a little town where the homes are mobile and the cars aren’t
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 354
Coal Size/Type: nut coal
Other Heating: electric, wood, oil

Post by Hoytman » Sun. Sep. 29, 2019 10:31 am

Mornin’ gents. A little after 10am in the Buckeye state. Hope it’s ok that I let myself in this mornin’. There’s a pot brewing on the stove...fresh ground this morning from whole bean Columbian, 8 O’Clock brand. Ran out of Black Rifle.

Bacon’s almost done, and Bulldog gravy’s being browned and almost ready for the milk. Homemade buttermilk biscuits are in the oven, hens gave up their eggs easily this mornin’ and ever one of yuns is welcome to join us. I even have some left over grilled pork chops from last night we can warm up. Also have some fresh peeled ripe tomato’s we can slice and ladle some gravy over. It’s almost done, the door’s open...you don’t have to knock...just come in smilin’ and hungry.

Hoytman
Location: swOH near a little town where the homes are mobile and the cars aren’t

Post by Hoytman » Sun. Sep. 29, 2019 10:35 am

Wife just informed me she’s put on a pot of yellow corn grits from the Old Mill in Pigeon Forge, TN. There ground course, about one step away from cattle fodder, added some cream cheese and cheddar cheese, some salt and fresh ground pepper too.

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Thu. Oct. 03, 2019 6:21 pm

Just lit up the old HITZER--did new gaskets & welded a washer I got from Scott at shaker handle hole. She's TIGHT!! Really controllable with bi-metallic thermo. Couldn't do it last season cause I was busy in the hospital dying!!! LOL Me & the Creator decided against all that. Most of the winter the stove was pretty much on over kill. What a difference maintenance makes. Bone chillin cold, damp today--old house is a pleasant 72*.

D-frost
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman MK ll
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Yukon Eagle I (multi-fuel oil, wood/coal)
Baseburners & Antiques: Herald 'fireside oak'
Coal Size/Type: nut/stove-Blaschak/Lehigh

Post by D-frost » Thu. Oct. 03, 2019 6:45 pm

'Old bones' do not like dampness. I just lit a wood fire in the Yukon to try to get ahead of the rain movin' in tonite/tomorrow AM. With the cold temps this week-end(night-time) there will be a few more lighting them up.
Stay warm FF, and healthy.
Cheers

Hoytman

Post by Hoytman » Mon. Nov. 04, 2019 1:40 pm

Glad you're still here Fred...

Would like to see pictures sometime of that washer on the shaker handle.

freetown fred

Post by freetown fred » Mon. Nov. 04, 2019 4:10 pm

H. with the handle off, I used JB weld & took a proper sized washer that Oliver Power sent me & slipped it over the grate nub & it has GREATLY reduced that hot spot in the stove. Yeah, yeah--I coulda painted that area BUT--oh hell, I'm gonna paint it now--looks kinda terrible even for this old farmer :clap: After JB weldin the first washer to the stove, I found some thicker ones for spacers. There, that pix looks NICER!!! --
Hoytman wrote:
Mon. Nov. 04, 2019 1:40 pm
Glad you're still here Fred...

Would like to see pictures sometime of that washer on the shaker handle.

Attachments

007.JPG
.JPG | 26.1KB | 007.JPG
015.JPG
.JPG | 41.9KB | 015.JPG
Last edited by freetown fred on Mon. Nov. 04, 2019 4:49 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Hoytman

Post by Hoytman » Mon. Nov. 04, 2019 4:21 pm

I'm not sure I'm following you on the hot spot on the stove. Must have been leaking some air there maybe? That's the only reason I can think of that would cause a hot spot near that location. Isn't that shaker stub below the grates, or even?

I'll have to look this evening, but I think you're looks totally different than mine. I just have a square "linkage", I will call it, coming out of the stove. I don't recall seeing a square washer let alone what looks like two round washers cut to fit the square.

freetown fred

Post by freetown fred » Mon. Nov. 04, 2019 4:31 pm

Where the shaker nub comes out the stove body, it was not very sealed any way shape or form--Soooo right inside at that point I always had a real hot spot from the air getting in--the washer that I JB welded stopped the air leak & stove is way more controllable--not square washers just hardware washers for spacers & regular round washer that I JB welded to stove body--the square nub is a tad smaller then the grate nub--both being one-- so it slipped over nicely. The shaker nub is part of the one grate which has linkage attaching it to the other grate--- so it's even

Return to “The Coffee House”