The Greatest Music Ensemble of All Time

Richard S.
Mayor
Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert VA1200
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/Anthracite

Post by Richard S. » Wed. May. 22, 2019 8:21 pm

3 guys, 40 years of filling arenas and stadiums and never missed a beat. They didn't retire because they couldn't make money, they could not put on the show that was expected anymore. I'm glad to say I saw them three times. About a three hour show each time, no opening act. Nassau Coliseum, Montage Mountain, and the new spectrum in Philly many years ago. A band built on fans.

RUSH -- One of the greatest drummers of all time if not the greatest. The Bass/Keyboard and various other *censored* that will appear very high on any list. Last but not least an outstanding guitar player that is easily in the top 100.

This is from the R30 tour around 2004, 30 years of playing hence the R30. I can't find good version from the R40 tour.

Isolated drums from Tom Sawyer, note the offbeats/missed beats. This is what gives Rush their unique sound that is difficult to do especially on stage live.

My very favorite version of Closer to the Heart.

Two black guys that have never heard YYZ that can appreciate incredible music. Check out their channel, it's pretty cool watching people that know music hearing bands like Metallica for the first time.

Drum solo (kinda, LA VILLA STRANGIATO):

Let's not forget RASH :D If you are Rush fan and have never seen this enjoy:

Honorable mention for the greatest bass player ever, Cliff Burton. It doesn't matter what your music likes are, this is something to see if you can see musical talent.

----------

Getting back to Rush some people may find Geddy's voice less than desirable and I would agree. However they could go on stage and play for three hours and never utter a single word. Rush, the whole three of them :P , is my nomination for the greatest musical ensemble ever.

KLook
Other Heating: Wishing it was cold enough for coal here....not really

Post by KLook » Wed. May. 22, 2019 9:50 pm

Thanks Richard, my favorites of all time. Missed seeing them in person. Had tickets for a concert in Old Orchard Beach once and it rained 9 inches that weekend......missed the chance to see them in Atlanta after we moved. Never had much chance to see concerts living in E Maine so dont really seek them out even here.

Kevin

Richard S.
Mayor
Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert VA1200
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/Anthracite

Post by Richard S. » Wed. May. 22, 2019 10:08 pm

KLook wrote:
Wed. May. 22, 2019 9:50 pm
.... so dont really seek them out even here.

Kevin
They are retired and it's unlikely there will be another chance unless it's one of those one chance get out the wallet events.

titleist1

Post by titleist1 » Thu. May. 23, 2019 3:43 pm

Rush is a worthy nominee IMO. :clap: Neil Peart is awesome and my favorite drummer with Bill Bruford coming in second place.

Are we taking nominations in this thread for greatest ensembles? If so, my favorite alltime is Geddy Lee's inspiration growing up..... :yes:

warminmn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Junior, Riteway 37
Coal Size/Type: nut and stove anthracite, lignite
Other Heating: Wood and wear a wool shirt

Post by warminmn » Thu. May. 23, 2019 5:08 pm

Their no Willie Nelson and Family but Rush is alright :lol:

There are an awful lot of great bands and not all of them make it big. Its all what a person likes. Seems like every show Ive ever went to and thats a lot of them, I hear someone in the audience say that group is the best ever. Every band has its groupies regardless of genre.

At least Rush had their own sound and werent copycats like many groups are. Id rather listen to AC/DC or GNR as far as "modern" rock goes. To each their own. Anything beats the modern pop crap, but especially pop rap country. Some awful stuff there, no lyrics, so band sound, no nothing but noise.

Return to “The Coffee House”