PSA.. Going to fly ??

grumpy

Post by grumpy » Tue. Apr. 09, 2019 10:49 am

Beginning October 1, 2020, travelers who present a driver's license that is not REAL ID compliant will not be permitted to fly. They'll have to bring another form of acceptable ID to the airport instead or be turned away. The list of acceptable IDs includes a passport; a border ID card; a trusted traveler card, such as Global Entry; a permanent resident card; and other documents.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/suzannerowankelleher ... 7035847e92

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Tue. Apr. 09, 2019 11:02 am

Just renewed my NYS driver's license last week. They've been pushing that enhanced Driver's license to comply with the new flying regs.

Of course it's more money, and I'd need to dig out paperwork for additional ID. My current photo driver's license is not acceptable as proof. :baby:

So, I told them I don't want it ! That gives me an excuse not to have to jump through all the hoops, aggravation, delays, running to catch a connecting flight that my luggage likely won't, and all that expense, just to get on a plane and be wedged into a seat space that's too cramped for my arthritic old body. :yes:

Paul

Vbull
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Reading Juanita
Coal Size/Type: rice

Post by Vbull » Tue. Apr. 09, 2019 12:25 pm

Sunny Boy, Amen on that!
I just retired early and the main reason was having to travel so much via air. 20 years of constant travel was just too much aggravation, delays, irate passengers, etc....Not worth staying on for a couple more years.

scalabro
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford 40, PP Stewart No. 14, Abendroth Bros "Record 40"
Coal Size/Type: Stove / Anthracite.
Other Heating: Oil fired, forced hot air.

Post by scalabro » Tue. Apr. 09, 2019 4:05 pm

Strange.... I just got my “real ID” license in Ma...it was no big deal at all. They even had a separate customer service counter for those “upgrading” ..... easy peasy.

rberq
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine 1300 with hopper
Coal Size/Type: Blaschak Anthracite Nut
Other Heating: Oil hot water radiators (fuel oil); propane

Post by rberq » Tue. Apr. 09, 2019 7:10 pm

Sunny Boy wrote:
Tue. Apr. 09, 2019 11:02 am
So, I told them I don't want it ! That gives me an excuse not to have to jump through all the hoops, aggravation, delays, running to catch a connecting flight that my luggage likely won't, and all that expense, just to get on a plane and be wedged into a seat space that's too cramped for my arthritic old body. :yes:
Don't forget the "convenience" of flying! Last year my son drove up for a visit from Virginia. He thought about flying, but the last time he did that it cost more and took longer, once he included getting to the airport early for security check-in, parking, layovers when changing flights, sitting on the tarmac for two hours, waiting for luggage, and getting home here from the airport when the plane finally arrived. It's pretty sad when it takes longer to fly 700 miles than to drive it. But at least on those short flights they don't feed you, so that's one blessing.

scalabro
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford 40, PP Stewart No. 14, Abendroth Bros "Record 40"

Post by scalabro » Tue. Apr. 09, 2019 7:31 pm

The really sad part is that pretty soon you’ll need it on trains and busses too.

Sunny Boy

Post by Sunny Boy » Tue. Apr. 09, 2019 8:28 pm

scalabro wrote:
Tue. Apr. 09, 2019 7:31 pm
The really sad part is that pretty soon you’ll need it on trains and busses too.
No I won't.
Got a few sets of wheels of my own and they go where and when I want. If it's too far to drive to, then I don't need to go there. And, there's still more things to see and do within a day's drive of here than I have time for. :yes:

Paul

Sunny Boy

Post by Sunny Boy » Tue. Apr. 09, 2019 8:35 pm

rberq wrote:
Tue. Apr. 09, 2019 7:10 pm
Don't forget the "convenience" of flying! Last year my son drove up for a visit from Virginia. He thought about flying, but the last time he did that it cost more and took longer, once he included getting to the airport early for security check-in, parking, layovers when changing flights, sitting on the tarmac for two hours, waiting for luggage, and getting home here from the airport when the plane finally arrived. It's pretty sad when it takes longer to fly 700 miles than to drive it. But at least on those short flights they don't feed you, so that's one blessing.
Yup! It was enough of a hassle and time spent last time I flew 45 years ago. I couldn't put up with it now.

Paul

scalabro

Post by scalabro » Tue. Apr. 09, 2019 9:03 pm

Sunny Boy wrote:
Tue. Apr. 09, 2019 8:28 pm
No I won't.
Got a few sets of wheels of my own and they go where and when I want. If it's too far to drive to, then I don't need to go there. And, there's still more things to see and do within a day's drive of here than I have time for. :yes:

Paul
Totally agree! But I think that’s coming down the road 😳

scalabro

Post by scalabro » Tue. Apr. 09, 2019 9:05 pm

Well there’s always this 😜

Attachments

40E48775-DD55-43AF-B8F4-2E7AA4B6D4AA.jpeg

1942 Aeronca O58B

Sunny Boy

Post by Sunny Boy » Tue. Apr. 09, 2019 10:09 pm

:yes: That's more my speed !

My first flight it was less than 45 minutes after I left the house and we were flying back over it. :D

In a Cessna 175 out of the old Zahn's airport in Amityville. Plane was slow, but by today's standards it'd likely get you where you wanted to fly to before a commercial flight would. :lol:

Paul

Return to “The Coffee House”