Grandmother Passed

Richard S.
Mayor
Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert VA1200
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/Anthracite

Post by Richard S. » Sun. Mar. 31, 2019 6:45 pm

I've mentioned I have been taking care of my Grandmother in some posts, for about 5 years now. She passed on Saturday afternoon about 2PM about one month shy of her 101st birthday. When she began life her family used a horse and wagon for transportation. She has seen WW2 as a married woman with 4 kids, watched as man landed on the moon and has skyped with one her Great Grandchildren on her 100th Birthday last year.

On Thursday she fell and was unconscious. I heard her fall and she hit pretty hard. To everyone's surprise after a few hours at the hospital she was awake and was her normal happy/ornery self making jokes with the nurses. No broken bones apparently, no head injuries but she may have fractured some ribs. They said they might discharge her Friday which was even a bigger surprise. Unfortunately Friday morning her health took a turn for the worse, they suspect she may have had internal bleeding. She passed on Sunday, I wasn't present but she was surrounded by family members. It was nearly instant and she was complaining about me moving stuff in her cabinets right near the end. :D

She was a very a tough woman. One would think it may difficult to care for a 100 year old woman but she was fiercely independent and her mental capacity was still very good. When I first started caring for her she had fractured her coccyx and I had to help lift her out of bed into a sitting position. She was in a lot of pain every time she had to sit up or move around but forced herself to do it, that went on for at least 2 weeks before the major pain started to subside. Other than cooking, washing dishes or other things she couldn't do she cared for herself. She often even made herself breakfast despite my disapproval. I had lot of help from other family members. My Aunt in particular gave her showers, fixed her hair, her laundry and other things.

She may have been safer at an elderly home but she was happy which I think is far more important. I'm glad I was able to help make the end of her life happy but with no kids, no wife and being able to work from home I was able to do that. As a giant bonus I know how to make the world's best coleslaw, I know the secret ingredient and it's not written down anywhere. ;)

Ruth C. 1918 - 2019

2001Sierra
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90 Chimney vent
Coal Size/Type: Rice
Other Heating: Buderus Oil Boiler 3115-34

Post by 2001Sierra » Sun. Mar. 31, 2019 6:49 pm

God Bless her, yourself and the family. It is amazing the difference family can make when they make an effort.

tcalo
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford 40
Coal Size/Type: Nut/stove anthracite

Post by tcalo » Sun. Mar. 31, 2019 6:52 pm

Sorry for your loss. Sending prayers for you and your family.

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Sun. Mar. 31, 2019 6:54 pm

Sorry to hear you lost her, but it sure sounds like she lived a great life and passed comfortably. Can't ask for much more than that.

CoaLen
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Keystoker Koker
Coal Size/Type: rice

Post by CoaLen » Sun. Mar. 31, 2019 6:59 pm

Very heartwarming story of a woman that seemed to have a very positive effect on an entire family. May she now rest in peace. May God bless Ruth, you and your family.
Thank you for sharing.
-Len

Richard S.
Mayor
Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert VA1200
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/Anthracite

Post by Richard S. » Sun. Mar. 31, 2019 7:29 pm

2001Sierra wrote:
Sun. Mar. 31, 2019 6:49 pm
God Bless her, yourself and the family. It is amazing the difference family can make when they make an effort.
Forgot to add, 4 children, 9 Grandchildren and 17 Great Grandchildren. It was certainly possible she could of seen the first of a fourth generation had some of her Great Grandchildren decided to have kids in their early 20's.

Even with a large family you need at least one person that can take on the primary responsibility. It wasn't a lot of work but I had to be here most of the time, I had weekends "off" and would head to "work" at my friend's hardware store. Of course if I needed a weekend or a few days off to do whatever I was able to go and someone else would stay with her.

Without her being partially independent I would not have been able to do it. Other things worked out really well, it's a double block so I had my own place to stay. Her bed was downstairs in the middle room so it would have been impossible to stay on her side if it were single home. I put a wireless doorbell ringer on wheelchair and she only used it when she really needed something. There is a shared backroom so I could walk from one side to the other, there was also a bathroom there which was probably the most important thing for her. Even her front door was already handicap accessible, the front porch is concrete slab that is level with sidewalk. I just added a short ramp to get over the threshold to make it a little easier. There is lot of things that made this possible.

Hambden Bob
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Harman 1998 Magnum Stoker
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Blower Model Coal Chubby 1982-Serial#0097
Coal Size/Type: Rice-A-Roni ! / Nut
Other Heating: Pro-Pain Forced Air

Post by Hambden Bob » Sun. Mar. 31, 2019 7:30 pm

Sounds like Grandma Ruth knew how to Own It!! It also sounds like You do too,Mayor! Nice Job,Hammer! You nailed it for her! That's about 13.2 tons of Bull you accidentally put out that she might've been safer a a supposed Senior Facility! Matters of the Heart dictate that she needed to be right where she was,with You and Yours... it's Coleslaw Time in Heaven,Mrs. Slaw it up,Miss Ruth,You've earned it!!!

lincolnmania
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 350
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: reading allegheny stoker
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: alaska kodiak stoker 1986. 1987 triburner, 1987 crane diamond
Coal Size/Type: rice

Post by lincolnmania » Sun. Mar. 31, 2019 7:35 pm

Sorry for your loss.

KLook
Other Heating: Wishing it was cold enough for coal here....not really

Post by KLook » Sun. Mar. 31, 2019 7:37 pm

My condolences Richard, it takes special people and circumstances to care for someone. I wish I could take my mother in, but she would not come South for anything and she has special needs. My mother cared for 4 different family members until they died and expected one of her children to do the same.
Sounds like you come from tough stock! Think of the history she witnessed......

Kevin

warminmn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Junior, Riteway 37
Coal Size/Type: nut and stove anthracite, lignite
Other Heating: Wood and wear a wool shirt

Post by warminmn » Sun. Mar. 31, 2019 8:11 pm

I am sorry for your loss. A week in a real house is better than a year in a nursing home. Good job by you for helping her stay independent and away from the nursing homes.

coalfan
Hand Fed Coal Stove: ds circultor1500 \chubby coal stove
Coal Size/Type: nut/ pea ant.some bit.
Other Heating: kerosene\cold nat. gas

Post by coalfan » Sun. Mar. 31, 2019 9:17 pm

ben down that road and mine raised me etc . am sorry for your loss . god bless and try to keep your head up for me i still pain the loss of whom brought me up well .

franco b
Site Moderator
Hand Fed Coal Stove: V ermont Castings 2310, Franco Belge 262
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114
Coal Size/Type: nut and pea

Post by franco b » Sun. Mar. 31, 2019 10:18 pm

The sweet bye and bye, and the old order passeth. Surcease for an honorable old woman and surcease for you from a bondage dutifully kept. My condolences.

coalkirk
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1981 EFM DF520 retired
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Jotul 507 on standby
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh anthracite/rice coal

Post by coalkirk » Mon. Apr. 01, 2019 7:26 am

Sorry for your loss Richard. It sounds like she lived a very full life. We should all be so lucky!

samhill
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: keystoker 160
Hand Fed Coal Stove: hitzer 75 in garage

Post by samhill » Mon. Apr. 01, 2019 8:02 am

Sorry to hear about your loss Richard, besides the coleslaw recipe I believe she passed around great genes!

titleist1

Post by titleist1 » Mon. Apr. 01, 2019 8:15 am

Sorry for your loss. Your grandmother sounds like a great lady. Think of the great leaps forward in technology she witnessed.

Sounds like you have a great family with the care and support you all provided to keep her in her house to the end. That situation is far superior to any nursing home facility.

Return to “The Coffee House”