Coffee 3-30-2019

Freddy
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 130 (pea)
Coal Size/Type: Pea size, Superior, deep mined

Post by Freddy » Sat. Mar. 30, 2019 6:13 am

Good day! Come on in, fresh ground coffee and pancakes await. A close neighbor dropped off a small bottle of maple syrup to savor. He makes less than a gallon a year so this is extra special.

Big news! I am now a grandfather! My daughter is also now a Mom for the first time. A healthy boy, 6 pounds 12 oz. Heeheee!
IMG953084[1].jpg
.JPG | 184.5KB | IMG953084[1].jpg

Busy week. I'm trying to get things done with the aim of retiring? Well... hopefully as of the start of June I will at least take a year off. Oh, I'll stay busy, just not so much in my shop.

There is still ice & a bit of snow, but my front lawn it showing a tiny hint of green. Sharpen your lawn mower blades!

Forward we go.

CoalJockey
Verified Business Rep.
Stoker Coal Boiler: Several EFM 520 refurbs...one 900, one 1300 mega-stoker
Hand Fed Coal Stove: (2) Warm Morning Stoves

Post by CoalJockey » Sat. Mar. 30, 2019 6:58 am

Congratulations Fred!

Get your running shoes on buddy, he looks like a little ripper. Now the fun begins... my younger one is 1 1/2 and he is really beginning to turn it on. And don’t forget, it’s never too early to begin teaching him the basics of staying awesomely warm with an Anthracite heating appliance! :D

Not much going on here, maybe a load of lime or coal delivery. Last weekend I took a chance and raked the stones back out of the grass and cleaned up all the anti-skid that the State throws down around the corner... hopefully I get away with it.

There is a new lamp post to install in front of the house and it’s to hit 70 today so I should spray the house foundation for spyders and bugs. I’m actually off to a good start with my Spring chores for once.

Have a great week!

coalkirk
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1981 EFM DF520 retired
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Jotul 507 on standby
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh anthracite/rice coal

Post by coalkirk » Sat. Mar. 30, 2019 7:25 am

Congrats Freddy! You will have lots of fun as a grandpop!

D-frost
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman MK ll
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Yukon Eagle I (multi-fuel oil, wood/coal)
Baseburners & Antiques: Herald 'fireside oak'
Coal Size/Type: nut/stove-Blaschak/Lehigh

Post by D-frost » Sat. Mar. 30, 2019 7:35 am

Congratulations Grandpa!!!
Time to start the yard work. We have daffodils popping up, so we'll rake out the flower beds, and clean up the tree branches that fell. The Herald did a super job keeping us warm this past Winter. This past week, I've been lighting the Yukon((WOOOD)) for a couple hours each morning. Enjoy the week-end, everyone.
Cheers

Keepaeyeonit
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood #8
Coal Size/Type: Nut & stove
Other Heating: 49 year old oil furnace, and finally a new heat pump

Post by Keepaeyeonit » Sat. Mar. 30, 2019 7:58 am

Good morning fellows, Are you going to sharing that syrup Freddy? I'm sure its going to last real good on your pancakes :D
Congrats on your Grandson Freddy :yes: Not much going to day just a service on the wife's car and If its stops raining I will try to get the camper ready to pull out of its winter parking spot. We do have a fundraising event( reverse raffle, silent auction, and Chinese auction ) to my daughters high school tonight so it should be a good time, I just hope they put more food on our dinner plates this year then they did last :o Thats the thing about these hoity toity events ( no I'm not in the same class as those people but I like the event ) I like to eat but the portion sizes are super small :no1: So we shall see how this year will be!
I did get around to switching my shop lights in the garage to LED's so no more waiting for the lights to warm up! I ordered a 100W LED flood to replace the old 500W halogen so after that we are 100% LED in the house and main garage ( the back garage has the old T8 s ).
Have a wonderful weekend people.

BostonBob
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Harman DVC500,Alaska Gnome 40
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by BostonBob » Sat. Mar. 30, 2019 8:14 am

Wow Freddy Congratulations !!!! Nothing beats being a Grandpa !!!! 9 so far for me with 1 Great Granddaughter ! (I’m must be getting old !). Wishing I can retire someday LOL. Pancakes and coffee 👍👍 the blades need sharpened but need to look at a new to me tractor really want a loader and the old JD I have doesn’t have power steering so it’s not worth putting a loader on her for the $$$. Have an AWESOME weekend and rest of the week Guys

Hambden Bob
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Harman 1998 Magnum Stoker
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Blower Model Coal Chubby 1982-Serial#0097
Coal Size/Type: Rice-A-Roni ! / Nut
Other Heating: Pro-Pain Forced Air

Post by Hambden Bob » Sat. Mar. 30, 2019 8:32 am

Oh Boy... He's already thinking of getting in way over his head by taking on his first uphostelry project with You,Grampa!! Tell him that he better just start out with diapers for right now! It's a Monsoon Lagoon Day here in the N.E. Ohio,as Barry has already commented! I don't know,nor do I really care what I'm going to do this weekend,but I do know that I'm going to Love It!! Make sure You All do the same!!

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Sat. Mar. 30, 2019 8:52 am

Congrats grandpa!!! :) Great b-fast choice Freddy. Got a doc. appt. Wed. Probably lose tip of right big toe--ya know this is getting old!!!! Gonna drive to recycle & then just down the road (while my right foot is still in one piece) to visit with baby Belgium's I'll be getting as soon as my pasture greens up some. Oh well, enjoy the week-end people

BunkerdCaddis
Stoker Coal Boiler: Bairmatic-Van Wert
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Van Wert VW85H
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Saey Hanover II working when I feel the desire, Waterford 105 out on vacation, Surdiac Gotha hiding somewhere
Coal Size/Type: pea/nut/rice/stove-anthracite, nut/stove bit when I feel the urge
Other Heating: oil fired hydronic

Post by BunkerdCaddis » Sat. Mar. 30, 2019 9:17 am

Congratulations Freddy, being a Grandpa is a whole new world... and it makes you wonder how you ever did it raising the first batch, young and naive I guess.
Well, it does look like Spring showed up, everything pretty much turned green this week, I've got the stove on a real slow burn so we'll see how long that goes too. Enjoy the weekend :yes:

Den034071
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer, 3095

Post by Den034071 » Sat. Mar. 30, 2019 10:08 am

Freddy congrats cute little one .jack

StokerDon
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Gentleman Janitor GJ-5, Van Wert VA-600, Axeman Anderson130 X3.
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Harman SF3500 reduced down to 3 grates connected to its own plenum
Coal Size/Type: Rice, Chestnut and whatever will fit through the door on the Harman
Other Heating: Noth'in but COAL! Well, Maybe a little tiny bit of wood

Post by StokerDon » Sat. Mar. 30, 2019 10:14 am

Morning all!

Congratulations Freddy, that little guy looks like he's thinking pretty hard about something. Could be trouble? :lol:

Last Saturdays project was to get a couple radiators into the basement and plumb at least one in. Well, it turns out that I forgot how tough it is to move radiators around! :lol: I got them into the basement and that was it. I've started on today's project of getting one plumbed in.
IMG_4253.JPG
.JPG | 327.8KB | IMG_4253.JPG
Gonna plumb this White one in between the work bench and the sink.
IMG_4254.JPG
.JPG | 264.8KB | IMG_4254.JPG
IMG_4255.JPG
.JPG | 239.1KB | IMG_4255.JPG
The Gold one will go on the other side of the basement, someday.
IMG_4256.JPG
.JPG | 330.3KB | IMG_4256.JPG
On the right is the supply header, the left is the return. Using 3/4" on this one only because I have it and don't need to buy anything. Normally, I would have used 1/2".
IMG_4257.JPG
.JPG | 305.3KB | IMG_4257.JPG
Have a good week all!

-Don

titleist1

Post by titleist1 » Sun. Mar. 31, 2019 7:48 am

Congrats Freddy! Retiring will give you more time for spoiling the grandkid!!

I thought i read on here a few years ago you were winding down for retirement?!? Does it take that long to prep for it?? If so I better start soon, I want to be prepared!

Was a beautiful spring day down here yesterday with sunny temps in the mid 70's. I kept the stoker going though as this week will be cooler and the stoker can idle along keeping the basement dry and the chill out of the house through April.

Between the yard chores yesterday i had about a 3 hour project getting towed home and replacing a battery and dead alternator on the p/u. It was the original alternator and at 16 years and 270k miles it didn't owe me anything. I did get the cheapest alt that autozone had since i didn't want to double the value of the p/u all in one day! :lol: The battery was from 2011 so I replaced that as well.

Got the lawn vac'ed up from winter leaves and twigs and leaves cleaned out of the stream bed, pipe reconnected to the pump and I ran it a few hours to circulate the water. The little reservoir was filled to the brim from all the rain this winter. Popped the lid off the pump riser and found this little guy inside just above the water line. He was real sluggish but got a bit livelier after sitting in the sun.
20190330_111635.jpg
.JPG | 218.6KB | 20190330_111635.jpg
20190330_111759.jpg
.JPG | 479.5KB | 20190330_111759.jpg
20190330_111815.jpg
.JPG | 528.2KB | 20190330_111815.jpg

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Sun. Mar. 31, 2019 3:20 pm

Damn T, ya don't think that could be SMITTY's frog do ya??? He went MIA a couple yrs back?? LOL

CapeCoaler
Stoker Coal Boiler: want AA130
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine BS#4, Harman MKII, Hitzer 503,...
Coal Size/Type: Pea/Nut/Stove

Post by CapeCoaler » Sun. Mar. 31, 2019 5:18 pm

That would be some travlin' frog...
Maybe a cousin...

KLook
Other Heating: Wishing it was cold enough for coal here....not really

Post by KLook » Sun. Mar. 31, 2019 8:02 pm

Only now a grandpa???? Hell, I am only 58 and did not start early....lol. And neither did my kids and I got 5.......How did you pull that off?
Enjoy the crap out of him, it is amazing. I only have one boy in the mix, and what a boy he is. I find myself thinking about what people said to me when I was the grandson and nephew........pull my finger comes to mind.....

Kevin

Return to “The Coffee House”