Coffee 2-16-2019

Freddy
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 130 (pea)
Coal Size/Type: Pea size, Superior, deep mined

Post by Freddy » Sat. Feb. 16, 2019 5:33 am

Good day fellow rock burners! Step inside, grab a cup & we'll fill it with the best Jo you've had this week. Ahhhh, nice. Waffles and crisp bacon for breakfast. Of course maple syrup but also a special treat.... Home made butter! Enjoy.

I trust you all made it through this last snow. The roads were slippery for a day, but back to normal now.

Nothing much to report. That's probably a good thing!

Hug your loved ones & forward we go.

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Sat. Feb. 16, 2019 6:19 am

Good morning. We survived another week up on this sheet of ice. We got a foot of snow on top of the ice, and then some rain yesterday....which has now frozen. I am about ready to start wearing broomball shoes.

Today I am headed to one of the coldest spots in the Northeast - Saranac Lake. Both of my boys are in a hockey tournament there. Hopefully I still have all of my fingers and toes when I return tonight.

Keepaeyeonit
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood #8
Coal Size/Type: Nut & stove
Other Heating: 49 year old oil furnace, and finally a new heat pump

Post by Keepaeyeonit » Sat. Feb. 16, 2019 6:23 am

Good morning people and how are things? Very good choice this morning Freddy!
Yes It's been a very strange weather rollercoaster ride the past 2 weeks but I think we all survived :yes: , Not much going on this weekend except I need to finish wiring my dash cams I installed in the truck finally after almost 2 years :oops: ,and take the dog to the groomers this morning.
Freddy wrote:
Sat. Feb. 16, 2019 5:33 am
Nothing much to report. That's probably a good thing!
Thats the same way I feel Freddy, no news is good news :D
Take care stay safe and enjoy the ride!

D-frost
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman MK ll
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Yukon Eagle I (multi-fuel oil, wood/coal)
Baseburners & Antiques: Herald 'fireside oak'
Coal Size/Type: nut/stove-Blaschak/Lehigh

Post by D-frost » Sat. Feb. 16, 2019 6:47 am

Mornin',
Best coffee in the Northeast, Freddy, thank you! Daytona race this afternoon. Only other thing happening is the 'blue lady' dance.
"5" more weeks 'til Spring. Have a good week-end, all.
Cheers

CoalJockey
Verified Business Rep.
Stoker Coal Boiler: Several EFM 520 refurbs...one 900, one 1300 mega-stoker
Hand Fed Coal Stove: (2) Warm Morning Stoves

Post by CoalJockey » Sat. Feb. 16, 2019 6:51 am

Good morning Gentlemen

Another week goes down in February, I can’t say I would try to go back... seems to be a lot of wildlife moving around and I hope they are telling us that Spring could be near.

Everything is formed up for concrete in the coal bin under the porch so today the Big Dig turns into the Big Pour... Scotty wants to pour the whole wall in one day to try to eliminate any cold joints and make the strongest job. This will be along day.

Project - CJ5 was moved to its new home yesterday courtesy of Brittany’s father. It is now in the driveway and will head under roof of Sunday. No big plans immediately but over the course of time I want to make it look like it just rolled off the assembly line in Toledo in 1965.

Have a great week!

Attachments

blrman07

Post by blrman07 » Sat. Feb. 16, 2019 7:40 am

Good Morning All!!!
We closed on a new to us fixer upper house two weeks ago in the middle of the coldest that Northeast Mississippi gets. About 24 F. The place had one wall mounted blue flame natural gas heater on the wall in the living room. There is no chimney except for a little 3 inch vent pipe for the NG fired water heater in a closet sized space off the carport. Unless you have a natural gas central heat or want a fireplace the houses round here ain't built with chimneys!!!

I was a little dubious about whether or not it's 30K rating would heat the house. It surprised me. The back bedroom stayed cooler than I like so I moved a little free standing unvented gas heater from the needs to be rebuilt greenhouse to the middle bedroom hallway. That did it!!!

I have no access to coal unless I can talk the local Tractor Supply into ordering me some. Next problem is installing a flue pipe through the flat roof. The hardest part will be finding a coal stove in Mississippi. The local fireplace stores don't have anything in stock but could order one. However they are extremely proud of them and charge proud prices plus proud shipping.

My next option is--- GASP--- COUGH--- a small wood burning stove. I know that's grounds for elimination from the group but I don't have too many other options and I absolutely refuse to do wood pellets.

Anyway our flowers are up and blooming and the hardwood trees are budding out. According to the calendar it
is time to start the seeds in the green house for transplant in two weeks. Hang in there guys.

I miss my VC and the blue ladies dancing.

Till later. Retired Reverend Larry Coutlee

BostonBob
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Harman DVC500,Alaska Gnome 40
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by BostonBob » Sat. Feb. 16, 2019 8:09 am

Good Morning Everybody 24 wind chill 12 and snowing that lite big flakes with the sun out ❄️ Fred Great Breakfast choice and always need Coffee for that jump start in the morning, have a warm weekend all gonna try and take it slow after the Week of working late the last week

artbaldoni
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Alaska Kodiak
Other Heating: O W/C B

Post by artbaldoni » Sat. Feb. 16, 2019 8:26 am

Morning, breakfast sounds delish! Tried a little stove size in the Crane. Meh. Getting another load of nut today. 26f here this morning. May be able to get the bike out of the basement through the snow and ice thats left and do some riding today. Hope the mountain roads have melted some. Don't need any more of this!

StokerDon
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Gentleman Janitor GJ-5, Van Wert VA-600, Axeman Anderson130 X3.
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Harman SF3500 reduced down to 3 grates connected to its own plenum
Coal Size/Type: Rice, Chestnut and whatever will fit through the door on the Harman
Other Heating: Noth'in but COAL! Well, Maybe a little tiny bit of wood

Post by StokerDon » Sat. Feb. 16, 2019 8:42 am

Good morning everyone.

Thanks for the coffee and waffles Freddy, good choice. Cold and windy here today. I had the thermostat down at about 62 yesterday because of the warm weather. When I got up this morning, it was about 62 in the house. I moved the thermostat up closer to 70 and went out in the garage to look at the Axeman.

It must have been sleeping all night, it was running but the stack was down to 150 and the return water temp was 80! I actually thought the fire might be out, but it soon started pushing all the temperatures up and all is well. This thing still amazes me how little it is working and still heating everything. Today is day 6 on this ash pan, maybe it will be full today?
blrman07 wrote:
Sat. Feb. 16, 2019 7:40 am
There is no chimney except for a little 3 inch vent pipe for the NG fired water heater in a closet sized space off the carport. Unless you have a natural gas central heat or want a fireplace the houses round here ain't built with chimneys!!!
Hummm,,, Kind of like new houses around here! Dont't worry Larry, the coal brotherhood should be able to find you a good stove and figure out a way to get it down there.

-Don

Hambden Bob
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Harman 1998 Magnum Stoker
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Blower Model Coal Chubby 1982-Serial#0097
Coal Size/Type: Rice-A-Roni ! / Nut
Other Heating: Pro-Pain Forced Air

Post by Hambden Bob » Sat. Feb. 16, 2019 8:47 am

Good Morning!!
You Folks 'ain't right! Come to think of it,neither am i!! Enjoying All Of You!!

BunkerdCaddis
Stoker Coal Boiler: Bairmatic-Van Wert
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Van Wert VW85H
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Saey Hanover II working when I feel the desire, Waterford 105 out on vacation, Surdiac Gotha hiding somewhere
Coal Size/Type: pea/nut/rice/stove-anthracite, nut/stove bit when I feel the urge
Other Heating: oil fired hydronic

Post by BunkerdCaddis » Sat. Feb. 16, 2019 9:25 am

Morning all,
Just enjoying the heat from the stove and my cup of coffee...
blrman07 wrote:
Sat. Feb. 16, 2019 7:40 am

I have no access to coal unless I can talk the local Tractor Supply into ordering me some. Next problem is installing a flue pipe through the flat roof. The hardest part will be finding a coal stove in Mississippi. The local fireplace stores don't have anything in stock but could order one. However they are extremely proud of them and charge proud prices plus proud shipping.
Your man to talk to for getting coal to the furtherest reaches of non-coal country is LehighanthraciteMatt. He managed awhile back to get a load to a pleasure boat on the far left coast! :yes:

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Sat. Feb. 16, 2019 10:16 am

Mornin all--outstanding B-fast choice Freddy. Not a damn thing goin on other then real slow healin. Enjoy the week-end people!!

Return to “The Coffee House”