Coffee ...Ground hogs day 2019

Freddy
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 130 (pea)
Coal Size/Type: Pea size, Superior, deep mined

Post by Freddy » Sat. Feb. 02, 2019 5:02 am

Will there be a scary shadow? It's 3 below zero right now so I'm kind of hoping for an early Spring.

Good day folks! Step inside & grab a big ol' cup of Jo. Ahhhhh, good stuff. I even washed the filter sock so Ffred could have a nice clear cup of the black juice. Welcome back Fred! Bacon & eggs & home fries...... any home made bread around?

The Axeman Anderson is such a happy girl. She just dances along & keeps my butt nice & warm with very little work. This time of year about 2 minutes a day to empty ashes... but it will easily go two days.....even three, but it gets heavy & I like light work. :)
Scotty is asking if there's a "one Bic lighter" club. He has "only" lost the fire twice, but has come very close a few other times.

Hug your loved ones & onward we go!

coalkirk
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1981 EFM DF520 retired
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Jotul 507 on standby
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh anthracite/rice coal

Post by coalkirk » Sat. Feb. 02, 2019 6:33 am

Good morning Freddy! Nice of you to wash the filter sock for Fred's first day back. I don't often make it to the coffee house but wanted to be here to welcome him back. The forum is just not the same without his influence. We've really missed the ol' hill farmer.
Bacon eggs and home fries. Can't go wrong with that.
I used to very impressed with the "one match club" but that was before I had the EFM. I lit it on Oct 23rd and just like you Freddy, it's a quick empty the ashes and that's it. It's like having your own furnace man, pun intended.
Looks like the deep freeze is moving out for a few days. Living in the tropics of Maryland we don't often get to experience such weather. I will say there is nothing like a zero degree morning to make 14 the next day feel balmy!
Got to work all day today so thanks for the hospitality but I have to chug the coffee and get to my first job.
I'm really proud of my coal brothers and sisters for rallying around Fred. Pretty cool how we are connected to a bunch of folks, many of whom I've never met face to face. The ones I have met face to face were just as nice in person. Carbon folk are good folk.

Hambden Bob
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Harman 1998 Magnum Stoker
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Blower Model Coal Chubby 1982-Serial#0097
Coal Size/Type: Rice-A-Roni ! / Nut
Other Heating: Pro-Pain Forced Air

Post by Hambden Bob » Sat. Feb. 02, 2019 6:47 am

Status:0600 Start,16*F Heatwave Going On,And The Hill Creature Returns To Freddy's For Galley Duty!

WHAT'S NOT TO LOVE?!?!!!
Insane thaw temps coming at Us for the next four days.. Amazing! Time to fix or chase all that broke or failed during Our NE Ohio version of the Polish Vortex! I've never forgotten Rob R's Dad's quote:"Winter Keeps Everything Honest"! Now that Man knows what he's talking about!

Keep doing it Coal Board Style,Gang!
Take Good Care!!
Last edited by Hambden Bob on Sat. Feb. 02, 2019 10:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

CoalJockey
Verified Business Rep.
Stoker Coal Boiler: Several EFM 520 refurbs...one 900, one 1300 mega-stoker
Hand Fed Coal Stove: (2) Warm Morning Stoves

Post by CoalJockey » Sat. Feb. 02, 2019 6:50 am

Hi guys

Welcome back Fred! Requesting a coffee report from the Hill this cold AM.

Exhausted... served over 300 last evening for our Wing Nite at the Lions Club. We were a bit short on help so instead of having 3 of us run fryers there were only two. I woke up this morning seeing fresh cut fries and chicken wings swimming in oil... I must have done it in my sleep!

We have a coal delivery to get out before the ground thaws so that will be this mornings project. There is a tri-axle that needs 8 inches of snow and slop power washed off of it as soon as it bumps above freezing. At noon I am going to set sail for Gettysburg to take a look at some very nice lime spreading equipment for sale but I don’t necessarily see myself as being a buyer at the moment. I guess it all depends on the deal.

Have a good one everybody!

D-frost
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman MK ll
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Yukon Eagle I (multi-fuel oil, wood/coal)
Baseburners & Antiques: Herald 'fireside oak'
Coal Size/Type: nut/stove-Blaschak/Lehigh

Post by D-frost » Sat. Feb. 02, 2019 6:53 am

Mornin'
Brrrrrrrr, cold outside.(-4*) Good, hot coffee, thank you, Freddy. The warm weather comes back for a few days next week. Have a good week-end, all. Enjoy the 'Super Bowl'!
WELCOME HOME-Freetown Fred!!!
Cheers

Keepaeyeonit
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood #8
Coal Size/Type: Nut & stove
Other Heating: 49 year old oil furnace, and finally a new heat pump

Post by Keepaeyeonit » Sat. Feb. 02, 2019 7:29 am

Good day friends and I see we all survived the Polar Vortex :D . Everything is good as usual here at Freddys!
Keep up the good work HB, we get the occasional power flicker but never a long outage (knock on wood) but saying that reminds me I need to change the gas in the generator all 16 gal of it, I do It every 2 years with recreational gas ( no ethanol ) and a dose of Sta-Bil, not one single issue in the last 14 years with it plus I now have gas for the tractor to mow with.
Take care people and enjoy the day :yes:

Welcome back FF! :clap:

tsb
Stoker Coal Boiler: Binford 2000
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: LL Pioneer top vent
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Saey Hanover II
Baseburners & Antiques: Grander Golden Oak , Glenwood # 6
Coal Size/Type: All of them

Post by tsb » Sat. Feb. 02, 2019 7:52 am

Ground hog says early spring. Should be here by Tuesday. We have snow drops ready to bloom so he must be right. Sap season just around the corner. The mink is out and about. The coal pile is getting small. All good signs. Motorcycle time will soon be here. Fred back on the hill. What's not to like.
Last edited by tsb on Sat. Feb. 02, 2019 11:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

BostonBob
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Harman DVC500,Alaska Gnome 40
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by BostonBob » Sat. Feb. 02, 2019 8:02 am

Good Morning, 14* and 1* windchill, ground hog Phil said SPRING is on the way !!!!!

titleist1

Post by titleist1 » Sat. Feb. 02, 2019 8:09 am

I was rooting for Phil to not see his shadow! :clap:

Apparently Spring comes on Tuesday when we get close to 60* ! I hope it stcks around a while. We are back down to 5* this morning after a warmish day yesterday of 19*.

Great to see FF back home and good to hear a report from Dave that there is some improvement with the herbal remedies. Keep fighting forward guys! :clap: :clap:

Benny
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Koker lite- house. Reading- garage
Coal Size/Type: Rice
Other Heating: Oil

Post by Benny » Sat. Feb. 02, 2019 8:13 am

Early spring,one can dream. Good morning all,6* here the koker lite did a awesome job through the cold snap.I hope just normal cold for the rest of winter. Welcome home Fred nice to have you back! Have a great weekend all.

artbaldoni
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Alaska Kodiak
Other Heating: O W/C B

Post by artbaldoni » Sat. Feb. 02, 2019 9:02 am

Mernin all! 3 this morning here on the mountain. Coffee and an egg sammich. Third day with the $50 Crane 404 (bought 3 years ago and installed this week). Not much heat noticed upstairs, but the floors are nice and warm! 12 hour burns? No problem.

Have a great week all!

StokerDon
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Gentleman Janitor GJ-5, Van Wert VA-600, Axeman Anderson130 X3.
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Harman SF3500 reduced down to 3 grates connected to its own plenum
Coal Size/Type: Rice, Chestnut and whatever will fit through the door on the Harman
Other Heating: Noth'in but COAL! Well, Maybe a little tiny bit of wood

Post by StokerDon » Sat. Feb. 02, 2019 9:05 am

Morning all!

Thanks for the eggs and coffee Freddy! Glad to hear your Axeman is keeping everything warm up there. It sounds like Scotty is more of a "auger in the bin" type of guy rather than a "barrel" guy.

Not much going on down here today. It took 3 months but our Axeman is finally dialed in and posting some incredible fuel sipping numbers. If it's not that cold 40 pounds per day, cold 50, really cold 60. I'm still having a hard time believing it!
IMG_4024.JPG
.JPG | 354.6KB | IMG_4024.JPG
Since i'm not doing much today I'll hang around for a while and hopefully bump into that Freetown Fred to congratulate him on his recovery.

-Don

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Sat. Feb. 02, 2019 9:29 am

Freddy, your friend sounds more like a heating oil & automatic delivery guy than a coal burner. Maybe there is still hope. Tell him every time he makes a pot of coffee to go downstairs for 1 minute of boiler maintenance.

It has been zero or below here for most of the week, and all of my ash tubs are full. Time to suit up and take care of my chores.

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Sat. Feb. 02, 2019 10:59 am

Nice b-fast choice Freddy--thanx!! Visitin nurses just left--will be here 3X a week plus OT, PT, etc.Grandson's comin up from Pa. to drag some coal up to closest bin. enjoy the week-end people!!

StokerDon
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Gentleman Janitor GJ-5, Van Wert VA-600, Axeman Anderson130 X3.
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Harman SF3500 reduced down to 3 grates connected to its own plenum
Coal Size/Type: Rice, Chestnut and whatever will fit through the door on the Harman
Other Heating: Noth'in but COAL! Well, Maybe a little tiny bit of wood

Post by StokerDon » Sat. Feb. 02, 2019 11:20 am

Glad to see you got up and saw your shadow Fred. It's good to have you back among the living!

-Don

Return to “The Coffee House”