Best Scam I Heard Yet

Pauliewog
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Alaska 140 Dual Paddle Feed
Baseburners & Antiques: Fame Rosemont #20, Home Stove Works #25, Glenwood #6, Happy Thought Oak, Merry Bride #214, Sunnyside, Worlds Argand #114, New Golden Sun , & About 30 others.
Coal Size/Type: Stove, Chesnut, Pea, Rice / Anthracite

Post by Pauliewog » Thu. Nov. 23, 2017 12:00 pm

On the average I receive 5 unwanted telemarketing calls a week. I'm sure the number is lower than most people but luckily I'm on the NATIONAL DO NOT CALL LIST :lol: :lol:

When a call is received soliciting donations for a worthy cause such as , Cancer research, Veterans , Children, Homeless, Police, Firefighters etc. I listen patiently, respond like Im extremely interested, and ask the following question.

Thats great, I'm really excited to help! What percentage of my donation goes directly to this worthy cause?

So far out of the few hundred times I've asked the question the highest % was 20% and the lowest was 15%. So anywhere between 80% and 85% administration fee.

Until the call I received yesterday, soliciting funds to help the first responders.

When I asked my question, the very polite person on the other end of the line replied.............

"Well sir ............All of the proceeds we collect go towards the expenses associated with running this drive."

Before I could even get a word out........ He hung up.
Of course I had to call back immediately, to find out why my call was dropped, but was greeted by a recording with only two options.

1. Press 1 if you do not wish to donate to this
fundraiser

2. Press 2 to end this call.

100% Administrative Fee? :o

Paulie

Lightning
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Modified AA 130
Coal Size/Type: Pea Size - Anthracite

Post by Lightning » Thu. Nov. 23, 2017 12:39 pm

I'm kind of surprised they answer that question at all.
Or do they have to by law?

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Thu. Nov. 23, 2017 1:56 pm

Lee, if it was by law, the fckrs would not even call people on the "do not call" list. :) Paulie, you're more patient then me---I just hang up with about the same amount of calls you get. Usually around supper time!!

Lightning
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Modified AA 130
Coal Size/Type: Pea Size - Anthracite

Post by Lightning » Thu. Nov. 23, 2017 2:05 pm

freetown fred wrote:
Thu. Nov. 23, 2017 1:56 pm
Lee, if it was by law, the fckrs would not even call people on the "do not call" list. :) Paulie, you're more patient then me---I just hang up with about the same amount of calls you get. Usually around supper time!!
So then why would they even admit 15 or 20%? Why wouldn't they just say 95% goes toward the cause?

Hambden Bob
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Harman 1998 Magnum Stoker
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Blower Model Coal Chubby 1982-Serial#0097
Coal Size/Type: Rice-A-Roni ! / Nut
Other Heating: Pro-Pain Forced Air

Post by Hambden Bob » Thu. Nov. 23, 2017 2:16 pm

When You really consider it,by Law,the SOB's shouldn't be calling You in the first place if they're not a True Charity ! A 100% Administrative Use/Zero Charity Contribution deal would be a Scam and shouldn't qualify as a Bonafide National Do Not Call List Exempt Charity...... Pukes......

Sorry-I've been walking back and forth from Our 'Ye Olde Desktop as I prepare the Thanksgiving Smash ! I apologize for repeating what's already been stated,but I'd figured on putting my own Bozo Touch to these Scam Artists !...

And I End with : "Happy Thanksgiving" !!

Benny
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Koker lite- house. Reading- garage
Coal Size/Type: Rice
Other Heating: Oil

Post by Benny » Thu. Nov. 23, 2017 2:50 pm

Hi all,I get two or three a day...don't answer the phone,I have a answering machine. Did flip out on a poor woman once,she was close to tears 😏 Have a great Thanksgiving all

Pauliewog
Baseburners & Antiques: Fame Rosemont #20, Home Stove Works #25, Glenwood #6, Happy Thought Oak, Merry Bride #214, Sunnyside, Worlds Argand #114, New Golden Sun , & About 30 others.

Post by Pauliewog » Thu. Nov. 23, 2017 4:47 pm

Lightning wrote:
Thu. Nov. 23, 2017 12:39 pm
I'm kind of surprised they answer that question at all.
Or do they have to by law?
I don't recall where, but a few years ago I read an article that they are required by law to reveal the actual % given to the charity........ When asked.

Since then, I always ask, and always got the answer without hesitation. Of course as soon as they tell me it's 15% I give them an earful calling them just about everything but human. :lol: And then they hang up.

Paulie

Pauliewog

Post by Pauliewog » Thu. Nov. 23, 2017 4:53 pm

freetown fred wrote:
Thu. Nov. 23, 2017 1:56 pm
Oh..... Always around supper time Fred ! And it's not that I'm patient by any means ........... It's my chance to get wound up and VENT . :oops: :what:

Paulie

freetown fred

Post by freetown fred » Thu. Nov. 23, 2017 5:00 pm

LOL--indeed Paulie. One less cardio exercise for me! .>)

Pauliewog

Post by Pauliewog » Thu. Nov. 23, 2017 5:08 pm

Hambden Bob wrote:
Thu. Nov. 23, 2017 2:16 pm
When You really consider it,by Law,the SOB's shouldn't be calling You in the first place if they're not a True Charity ! A 100% Administrative Use/Zero Charity Contribution deal would be a Scam and shouldn't qualify as a Bonafide National Do Not Call List Exempt Charity...... Pukes......

Sorry-I've been walking back and forth from Our 'Ye Olde Desktop as I prepare the Thanksgiving Smash ! I apologize for repeating what's already been stated,but I'd figured on putting my own Bozo Touch to these Scam Artists !...

And I End with : "Happy Thanksgiving" !!
This one came from a Pennsylvania number and I intend to call the Pa Attorney General's Office on Monday to see if they will shut them down.

And Happy Thanksgiving to all .......... And to all a good night !

Paulie

Pauliewog

Post by Pauliewog » Thu. Nov. 23, 2017 5:09 pm

freetown fred wrote:
Thu. Nov. 23, 2017 5:00 pm
LOL--indeed Paulie. One less cardio exercise for me! .>)
:lol: :lol: :yes:

Pauliewog

Post by Pauliewog » Thu. Nov. 23, 2017 5:18 pm

Benny wrote:
Thu. Nov. 23, 2017 2:50 pm
Hi all,I get two or three a day...don't answer the phone,I have a answering machine. Did flip out on a poor woman once,she was close to tears 😏 Have a great Thanksgiving all
The problem is...... I get a lot of calls from out of the area, and my caller ID doesn't recognize scams.

I try my best to bring some of these heartless scam artists to tears but I do my best to keep them on the line and waste their time ....
.... as they waste mine. :D

Happy Thanksgiving !

Paulie

lsayre
Stoker Coal Boiler: AHS S130 Coal Gun
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh Anthracite Pea
Other Heating: Resistance Boiler (13.5 KW), ComfortMax 75

Post by lsayre » Thu. Nov. 23, 2017 7:33 pm

I thought the national no call list was defunct.

freetown fred

Post by freetown fred » Thu. Nov. 23, 2017 7:54 pm

See where thinkin gets ya Larry! .>) Every now & then a link pops up that you can go to. Call your phone company/provider & ask.

Richard S.
Mayor
Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert VA1200
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/Anthracite

Post by Richard S. » Thu. Nov. 23, 2017 8:56 pm

I say hold on, put the phone down and walk away. LOL

Return to “The Coffee House”